Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm glad to hear that the good ending isn't canonical. The good ending was so dumb.

I also didn't find the book translation too bad. It's meandering at points but it's still pretty good. I remember reading that this was not going to follow Metro 2034 back when it was announced. Is that still the case? I don't actually know the plot of the second book at all. Edit: Nevermind. Missed that line in the OP. Glad to hear it's still an original story.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Roobanguy posted:

I thought the canon ending was going to be the good one?

Of course, I heard this like 2 years ago and am probably misremembering.

Book spoilers: It'd be really silly if it was because the book ended akin to the normal ending. Plus the good ending has rather far reaching implications that would drastically change the setting

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Turns out I forgot to preload this. Oops! Oh well. I guess I'll play tomorrow after work.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

For those of us who are just starting to play 2033 is there a good resource for fixing it's FPS and other technical issues?

Turn down settings. Metro 2033's high settings are advanced enough that they're still used as a GPU benchmark.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I jacked everything up and ran into some serious issues (I'm talking slide show) but once I turned anti-aliasing to AAA it ran fan. What a poorly optimized game.

Unless you have a rather high end system, I think you're underestimating how demanding the highest graphical features of Metro 2033 are.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Has Metro 2034 even been released in English yet?

Nope :( I'm probably going to have to learn another language to ever get a chance to read it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Alright thread, I need a hint because I feel like I'm missing something obvious and I've dicked around for like 20 minutes trying to figure out what I've missed. The below is spoilered, but I've tried to leave as much story stuff out of it as I can (and it's fairly early on) while still describing the area I mean.

I'm in the area shortly after you've wrecked the rail car thing that the Blacksmith gives you, heading to Venice. I've gotten to an area where there is a small bandit camp to the right, and a dead end tunnel to the left. At the end of the bandit camp is a wooden spike wall I can't get through. At the end of the dead end is a little alcove where there was a jump scare QTE where you walk up to get some military ammo and a watchman jumps out and tackles you. I have no idea how I am supposed to get through here, as I can't find a way through the spike wall and I can't get through the area where the jump scare occured because a train is blocking the hole and it is taller than crouch height.

I'm sure I am missing something super obvious, but I feel like I've checked everywhere.

Check your journal. It'll tell you what you need to do.

To be more precise, switch the rail to the bandit base and ram the rail car through the spike wall.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

God, gently caress these lazy rear end "hit this switch and defend!" segments. I hate them so much. It's even worse considering half of the ones I've had so far seem to involve nosalises which means having to hurry and find a shotgun because they're whirling dervishes with far too much HP.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

loving hell. I'm out of ammo and medkits and the game checkpointed me in the middle of a chase. I'm stuck unless I want to go back another 45 minutes and redo everything. Ugggh.

I'm with Khan trying to catch the train. I'm about to jump on but I have one bullet in my rifle and my other weapon, a hellsing, is absolutely useless due to the physics of the train ride. Is there really no way to replenish ammo midway through this? What a tremendous oversight.

Edit: Spammed my grenades and knives. Seemed to kill enough that I didn't die before the cutscene. Woo.

Edit: Page numbers in kindle books are dumb because pages would vary wildly depending on what device you're reading it on. You can turn it on with some of the old devices in favor of location but I don't really understand how it'd fix your problem. Location numbers still give an indication of how far you are because there's still the whole progress bar aspect so you can still see that location 42312 is roughly in the middle of the book, etc.

I'd also have recommended you play the game Metro 2033 first, honestly. It's a good enough adaptation that it stands alone and reading the book after it would instead help flesh out the world.

Flipswitch posted:

It's a big book mate, so don't feel too bad. Honestly I'd play both the game and the book at the same time. They're different enough and don't really follow the same pattern, the beginning and the ends are close, but the middle is not. Largely because the book follows the narrative in such a way that playing it would be dull as poo poo.

Also the book would be several times more depressing to play!

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 18, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Wait, you can KNOCK OUT guards? Oh jeez. I've just been shivving them because I thought it was the only thing to do. I'm guessing I just never saw the prompt because of hardcore, huh? Too late to start now since I'm almost done, but man. How do you do it, anyway?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Red Mundus posted:

Oh God, the boss fight in the swamps is making me want to uninstall the game. What a stupid section that feels completely out of place.

Why even have bosses in Metro? It feels so jarring.

It's sad because everything else has been absolutely amazing up to this point.

Yeah, the boss fights feel really weak and forced. They contrive a reason for you to be in a big circular arena for all of them, too. It's silly.

Speaking of which, I'm at the (end game)big bear mutant boss fight. Any tips? I just want to get through this fully. Also is there another vendor or should I unload with my military grade ammo?

Like Metro 2033, my favorite fights are all versus human enemies. I much prefer when the creatures are used more for horror, like the librarians.

Tibbeh posted:

I had to have a buddy there to give me "moral support", aka poking me when I'm all tense and scaring the poo poo out of me, to help get through the spider section since I'm utterly loving terrified of spiders.

If it's any consolation, they're not actually spiders since they don't have eight legs. Feel better now?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I see what you guys mean about Ranger mode now. I had no idea that I only had like twelve bullets between my revolver and AK after sneaking out of the concentration camp with Pavel. You have no idea how much ammo you get or have left or is even in your gun, it's dumb. It looks like one "clip" equals one revolver bullet though based on how many times I've reloaded after looting a body.

What's really dumb is that you can check your ammo in safe stations but you're just going to fill up the ammo you use as soon as you find a vendor so what's the point? They should just let you check your ammo by hanging back a moment or simply not being in combat for X long.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I was really skittish in the spider tunnels until I realized I could hold the lighter to burn a good deal of the hanging webs, which had the side effect of allowing me to move around slightly faster and the added bonus of being a giant "gently caress you, spiders".

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

It feels like the way the game was meant to be experienced to a certain extent. I jumped right into it without checking out the normal modes so I don't even know how much UI is present otherwise. If you just want to play the game and have fun i'd say wait until you decide to replay the game and buy it for like $.75 in a sale or something. It's a really lovely thing to sell so I'm hesitant to say it's worth it. Ammo situation is grating but i never felt it was ruining my experience.

Edit: I just finished the game and got what I think is the bad end. Is it like Metro 2033 where any non-forced kills will essentially reverse any good deeds?

Also there was a rather :unsmith: moment near the end: when you're returning to polis with the kid. You're in some kind of cleansing chamber and the little guy starts waving like crazy to a soldier on the left. The soldier just smiles and waves back.

Edit 2: I really want Metro 2034 to be translated. Where the gently caress is it? We're never going to get Metro 2035 at this rate. I'm probably better off starting Russian lessons.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 20, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

No kidding. I can't believe that 2033 is the only one to be translated. It's really odd, because 2034 has already been translated into most of the other European languages, just not English. Also, apparently there are a poo poo load of expanded universe Metro novels that haven't had an English translation either. Considering one of them takes place in England, that's fairly ironic.

Is that what they are? That makes a poo poo ton of sense. There's all sorts of "Metro 2033: Person's Name" on Amazon from third party sellers. I thought they were all just weird boot legs of the original book.

That england bit reminds me, early to mid way through the game you hear a guy talking about having contacted another russian city and maybe another part of europe entirely. Was there more to this? I think I wandered off and by the time I realized what I was hearing it was too late to go back.

If its taking so long to just get Metro 2034 there's no way we'll ever get the expanded stuff. I guess I need to learn Russian.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 20, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Blue Raider posted:

Yeah, they seem to be about a lot of different European locations. The list I found only gives the titles, covers, and very basic synopsis's. Most of them also sound really, really lame and completely tonedeaf, so unless you're just holding out for a translation that'll probably never come, the list is worth a look. By the way, I've played both games, and the book descriptions spoil absolutely nothing. The wiki also says the books are all non-canonical, so whatever.

http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Metro_Universe_Book_Series

poo poo, that "Track Marks" story sounds familiar. I think the story I overheard may have involved a repaired plane. Maybe it was just a reference to that story.

If they're non-canonical then who cares. Still want Metro 2034 and 2035 though. :colbert:.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

In Ranger, everyone does more damage - you die faster, but enemies also die faster. Firefights are a lot more lethal as a result and stealth is more important. You also find less ammo and other supplies, so it's more of a survival-horror experience than the corridor-shooter feel you sometimes get in the normal game. Oh, and you have some inventory limitations, like only being able to carry two weapons instead of three.

Oh, does ranger also do that? I only saw the "You can carry three weapons" tooltip at the very end of the game and was thoroughly confused. I should probably have checked to see what was changed before starting ranger.

Edit: Meant to say Ranger instead of hardcore!

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 20, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Oops. Totally meant to just say ranger instead of hardcore.

Xenomrph posted:

So wait, are there also difficulty modes within Ranger? Like Ranger Easy, Ranger Hard, etc?

Just ranger and ranger hardcore.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Don't worry, the next Metro game will probably start off after Last Light's bad ending, like Last Light did with 2033's bad ending :v:

poo poo, what if you play as Artyom's kid in the next one?

I actually rather hope this is the last Metro game for awhile. I feel like any more and they may wear the premise a bit too thin.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Do you have any screenshots? I have no recollection of anything like that, everything looked great. Unless you mean poor textures for signs or something.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

So, on my second playthrough, I just noticed something really loving major in the Nazi station right after you escape that I can't believe I missed before. You can get your starting weapons back. They're on a rack on the wall in the guard post, to the right of the airlock you and Pavel have to open together. Found it entirely by accident, I just happened to notice a familiar-looking shape there while running past and upon closer examination, yep, there they were, my assault rifle and shotgun I had chosen in D6 at the very beginning of the game.

Yup. anytime your guns are taken away you can find them again..

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I don't see why it wouldn't be viable. You'd have a shotgun for mutants and the bastard should chew through humans well enough.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

KaneTW posted:

The part before you get on the fisherman's boat was awful.

All of the "press button, defeat incoming mutant horde!!" sections are utterly terrible and really lazy. They're easily my least favorite part of the game.

PureRok posted:

Yep, here's a comparison of the two on the first page:

This would be fantastic for my Kindle but I really don't like the way my kindle handles PDFs. I wonder if there's a kindle formatted version somewhere.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

Yeah, the games are pretty consistent about Artyom. He's tough, strong as hell, a crack shot and he can overpower grown men in hand to hand combat, but he's never particularly good at making correct decisions. Not necessarily dumb, but inexperienced.

Yeah, unless Last Light takes place long after Metro 2033 then he's also only like 20 so that would make a lot of sense. I do wish he wasn't a silent protagonist in game, though the assumption that he tells people poo poo during level changes, etc is a nice compromise.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

You didn't. It's optional. I saw that room and immediately left because I knew what it'd be.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

It's not through steam. You were supposed to get a code that you use on.. Dark Horse's site, I think.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I've got a code, I just see nowhere to use it at.

https://digital.darkhorse.com/metro/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Miltank posted:

Is it ever really explained why the dark ones were killing people like crazy in the first game? That was the reason that they got missle'd right?

The dark ones were all "hey, there are other sentient things in those tunnels! Let's go make some friends!" and started creepily lumbering toward the nearest human outpost. People saw this and started firing guns at them because they didn't know these big, black alien looking humanoids actually wanted to be buddies. Then to make things look even worse, whenever they tried to communicate with someone, by touching them, the person couldn't take it and would die.

Edit: The hidden ending of Metro 2033 was dumb and I wish they didn't include it at all.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 28, 2013

• Locked thread