Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh poo poo, I totally thought this game was coming out later in the year.

I still need to play through all of Metro2033 - I'm a little ways into it but I really liked it, I've just gotten distracted by other game releases and whatnot. This might be the catalyst to actually get me to sit down and play it.

I also grabbed the english translation of the book for my Kindle a while back, I'll likely read that before playing the game.
Wikipedia also tells me that there's a shitton of other spin-off books set within the Metro2033 book universe, but next to none of them have been translated into English so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pwnstar posted:

STALKER and Metro are both based on Roadside Picnic, thats why they have so much in common. In the Metro 2033 book the Rangers are actually called Stalkers but they changed it for the game.
Is Roadside Picnic worth reading? I've been curious about it for a while now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think so. I'm not sure if it's :filez: or not, but you can find transcripts of it online (that's how I read it, 4 or 5 years ago, when beat-up copies of the book were like $80-100). It looks like you can find copies of it at Amazon for a reasonable price nowadays, though, which might make the transcripts pretty questionable. For a short sci-fi read, I found it pretty interesting. Pick it up next time you buy a bunch of other stuff on Amazon.
It looks like it's actually a little cheaper to get a digital copy than a print copy. Who'da thunk?

I also didn't realize that the guy who directed 'Stalker' (based on 'Roadside Picnic') also directed the Russian version of 'Solaris'. Small world, I guess. :shobon:

I even own the STALKER games on Steam, got them on some Summer/Christmas sale X number of years ago for a song and still haven't tried them out. Maybe playing through Metro 2033/Last Light will motivate me to keep the Russian crazy-train rolling.

That reminds me, there was some Russian survival horror zombie mod for Half Life 1 or 2 that was zombie-themed and it was really atmospheric and surprisingly well put together for a mod. I'll have to dig around and see if I can remember the name.

And I know it's not a strictly "Russian" game like STALKER/Metro 2033 are, but I loved the poo poo out of 'Singularity'. It was basically Wolfenstein: Soviet Russia Edition and I played the poo poo out of it. It even did certain gameplay things before Bioshock Infinite made them cool. :v:

Gimperial posted:

In Metro 2033, if you turn the audio to Russian, they actually say "Stalker" instead of Ranger.
Is it worth it to play the game with Russian audio and English subtitles? Is it even an option?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 13, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bef posted:

I know this was unintentional but try to refrain spoiling other games that have similar endings (especially one that is as storyline-heavy as bioshock). I really regret looking at a spoiler for a game I didn't care about :(
I thought I was pretty safe spoiling it the way I did - the spoiler related to both Bioshock and Singularity, and I tagged it in a way that it's not plot/item/gameplay specific for either game, just that the two games have something in common.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

the black husserl posted:

Not cool dude, this is a really stupid way to write this spoiler. I moused over because I already played Singularity and you just spoiled Infinite massively. Please edit this.
I removed the spoiler entirely. Sorry about that, I did actually put thought into the spoiler before I wrote it because I knew I had to be careful wording it, and I guess I didn't put enough thought. :saddowns:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Any difficulty setting suggestions for someone going into Metro 2033 for the first time, in order to get the "best" experience?

Also my copy of Metro: Last Light for Xbox360 came in the mail today - I managed to score a brand-new sealed copy for $50, and it even includes the "limited edition" DLC like Ranger Mode, etc. :woop:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cheston posted:

You might've seen advertisements for Metro 2035 while playing. (Mood-appropriate window dressing, I guess, but also advertisement for a book that nobody will be able to buy in English for two years...)

Metro 2035 is due later this year and is apparently going to be telling the same story as Last Light, but longer and denser.
Has Metro 2034 even been released in English yet?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I feel really conflicted about the book 'Metro 2033'. I'm reading it and it feels like it's really slow-going, and that's holding me up from playing the game (and Last Light) because I promised myself I'd read the book first.

But I like the book so far and I'm enjoying reading it so I dunno. My kindle says I'm 28% of the way through it, and I feel like I've been at it for a while. It's something I don't really like about digital books compared to print books - at least with print books I can get a sense of how many actual pages I have left, or feel in my hands how much of the book I've read, or flip forward to see when a chapter ends so I can set a goal or something. Maybe I just don't know how to use my kindle effectively, but I don't know how to do any of that with a digital book so it makes it seem like the reading journey has no discernible "end". :saddowns:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Amazon lists it when an Ebooks has page numbers. I don't think anything I've ever bought off of Google Books has been missing them. So they still exist, it's just that they're sort of antiquated so a few books haven't bothered with them.

I like page numbers, too.
I was poking around with my kindle and if I tap on a page it'll tell me what the page number is, but its default in-reading options are either "book location" (which is totally useless gibberish), "minutes left in chapter", or "minutes left in book". But I can see the page number if I deliberately stop and tap at the top of the page, so it's obvious the device is capable of showing it to me, it's just not a passive option I can choose from which is baffling as hell. :psyduck:

Edit-- I'm on page 164 of 450-something in Metro2033.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blue Raider posted:

The wiki also says the books are all non-canonical, so whatever.
I dunno, Wikipedia says the author of 'Metro2033' considers them "canon" and advertises them on his website, and his website seems to confirm that.

I'd guess it's a lot like the Lovecraft "expanded universe", where other authors just started chiming in and writing stories set in Lovecraft's universe and Lovecraft said "hey guys that's pretty cool, I'm glad you like my stuff and want to contribute to my world, sure you can play in my sandbox! :) ".

I'm still reading 'Metro 2033', and I've got 'Roadside Picnic' on deck for when I finish. :woop:

Blue Raider posted:

Considering one of them takes place in England, that's fairly ironic.
Takes place in England and is written by a British author, but still isn't available in English. :psyduck:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Is there a single piece of media you can enjoy without immediately pining for "expanded universe canon" crap?
I wasn't the one who brought up the "canon" topic, or even brought up the books in the first place, so maybe you should back off? :confused:

Someone else said they weren't "canon", and then someone else said "oh well that sucks :( ", so I was just chiming in that hey, they might actually be canon for those that were disappointed that they weren't (or who care about that kind of stuff).

I think expanded universes are fun - seeing what different authors or artists bring to the table for a given idea or setting, potentially spanning various media, is cool. :) It makes it a shared, collaborative experience, where you've got different people with different viewpoints bringing their own talents and ideas to the table. Sometimes those ideas suck, but I still applaud the effort.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 20, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Sorry but no. Expanded universes and arguments over canon and "collaborative efforts" and "world building" suck 100% of the time. Post as many passive-aggressive emoticons as you like, it won't change that essential fact. No comics, no toys, no tie-ins, no unofficial novelisations. None of it. It's all poo poo.
Whatever you say, homeslice.

No one's arguing anyway so maybe you should calm down, but I guess you're welcome to your opinions?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I don't really care about changing your mind as long as you stop posting about the Expanded Universe Of The Metro Series. Thanks!
Put me on ignore if my posts annoy you I guess, because I still wasn't the one who brought up the topic so I guess you should take your beef up with the other people who wanted to talk about it?

Edit-- I'll just put you on ignore, problem solved.

:siren: Actual content, what a concept:

Is "Ranger" more of a difficulty, or just sort of a "mode" that eliminates the HUD? Like, does it alter the gameplay?
I'm still planning to play through the game on Ranger mode because everyone says it's the best experience, I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm getting into.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 20, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So wait, are there also difficulty modes within Ranger? Like Ranger Easy, Ranger Hard, etc?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sankis posted:

Oops. Totally meant to just say ranger instead of hardcore.

Just ranger and ranger hardcore.
Is Hardcore punishingly, cripplingly difficult? Like, should I steer clear of it on my first time through, or do people consider it "The Way It Was Meant To Be Played :colbert: " or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's easier than 2033. You should just go with Ranger Hardcore.
What about 2033 itself? I'll be playing that one first.

• Locked thread