Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

Hey Penguin, do you have an email or something you'd be willing to part with? I mentioned this thread to my wife and she suggested we pick your brain about spending a few years on Iceland culture and such wise?
yeah, the one I made for occasions like that was malcowitz at gmail.com
FS got it in one

I ain't much for going out these days anyhow. Getting old and decrepit. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Hey Penguin, is there any difference in pronunciation between single n and double n endings? Ex. minn vs. mín, þinn vs þín?

Thanks.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
not penguin but:

the vowel before nn is shorter than the one before a singular n. Þinn is a kind of short "thin" while þín has a longer "ee" sound.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Doktor Per posted:

not penguin but:

the vowel before nn is shorter than the one before a singular n. Þinn is a kind of short "thin" while þín has a longer "ee" sound.

Ok, so it's to balance out the vowel? Or is just a strange spelling rule?

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

thanks for this!

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Radio posted:

Ok, so it's to balance out the vowel? Or is just a strange spelling rule?

Double consonants are generally an indicator of vowel length, i.e. the preceding vowel is shorter and often accompanied by a pre-aspirated stop. Thus: maki (spouse) is pronounced ma:ki, with a long vowel, whereas makki (horse's mane) is pronounced mahki, the h representing the pre-aspirated stop. The Wikipedia page on Icelandic orthography probably explains this better than I do under "Function of symbols."

Note also that i and í are considered different letters, so the difference between þinn and þín is not only vowel length but also vowel sounds (i as the i in mist, í as the ee in meet).

I hope this makes sense, I'm obviously not a linguist.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Just need to fume a bit. My mate has been able to fly Wow Air twice a year with his drivers license between Iceland and Denmark for years and the one time I try it they deny me boarding.

I guess this is what I get for flying cheap.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Lol wtf aren't you Nordic??

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
IIRC Schengen should cover it, you shouldn't need a passport when traveling within the Schengen area

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

dor1 posted:

IIRC Schengen should cover it, you shouldn't need a passport when traveling within the Schengen area

A drivers license is not a travel document.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I always thought it was a remnant of an old pan-nordic free travel deal and not Schengen, because it pre-dated it.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Jeoh posted:

A drivers license is not a travel document.

No it's not, but you shouldn't need travel documents when traveling within Schengen.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah an EU drivers license is a valid photo ID which is all you need to travel within the Schengen. The rub is that air companies are free to deny it if they please, but I talked to a nice SAS lady and she says they'll usually take it, though again they can and will deny it if there's anything the attendent feels is 'off'. So I'm getting an emergency passport done in half an hour and flying Iceland Air this time and from now on.

Turns out hardwood floors aren't that bad to sleep on until a guy in a visibility vest tells you to gently caress off.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I travelled between Denmark - Faroe Islands on my passport, until the day came where I had forgotten it at home. That's when another nice SAS lady told me that my cruddy, printed-on-cardboard-then-laminated university student "ID" card was more than enough. I've been using that one for years now, and no one has ever batted an eyelid; and these are international flights, with all the security measures those imply. Guess I should stop taking that poo poo for granted, then, and dig out my passport again. So, uh, thanks for taking one for the team, Demiurge4 :shobon:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The copper told me not to bother paying for the emergency passport and ask Iceland Air / SAS to check my drivers license, they said they'll take it :downs:

I got bumped though, apparently a flight cancelled and they wanted my seat for those passengers but they gave me 400 euro's and a free meal for 5 hours inconvenience and that about covers both tickets so hey all I really lost in the end is 20 hours.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In a lot of places on the continent you don't even need an ID to cross borders. You can literally just drive into the next country without anyone ever bothering you. My dad lives in Denmark but works a lot in Norway and sometimes on days off he nips over to Germany to stock up on soda and beer.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

FreudianSlippers posted:

In a lot of places on the continent you don't even need an ID to cross borders. You can literally just drive into the next country without anyone ever bothering you. My dad lives in Denmark but works a lot in Norway and sometimes on days off he nips over to Germany to stock up on soda and beer.

Yeah, but in that case he manages to do the very rare thing and avoid border controls. If you're taken in the German side of the border without a passport or driver's licence, it's a 35€ fine. Denmark will even go as far as to bar you entry if they suspect you're not a citizen.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Tias posted:

Yeah, but in that case he manages to do the very rare thing and avoid border controls. If you're taken in the German side of the border without a passport or driver's licence, it's a 35€ fine. Denmark will even go as far as to bar you entry if they suspect you're not a citizen.
No, he just happens to Nordic. (For the Norway/Denmark part at least~)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tias posted:

If he's driving then he can just show his license.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Demiurge4 posted:

If he's driving then he can just show his license.

Yeah, I guess I'm just bitter that I have to carry a passport everywhere, hehe.

Still, the promise that we could travel freely in Europe after Schengen is a big fat lie if regular SS cards aren't enough - in my opinion anyway.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Foreign Substance posted:

Double consonants are generally an indicator of vowel length, i.e. the preceding vowel is shorter and often accompanied by a pre-aspirated stop. Thus: maki (spouse) is pronounced ma:ki, with a long vowel, whereas makki (horse's mane) is pronounced mahki, the h representing the pre-aspirated stop. The Wikipedia page on Icelandic orthography probably explains this better than I do under "Function of symbols."

Note also that i and í are considered different letters, so the difference between þinn and þín is not only vowel length but also vowel sounds (i as the i in mist, í as the ee in meet).

I hope this makes sense, I'm obviously not a linguist.

Awhile ago, but thanks.

However, now I'm confused again. I'm trying to differentiate between the sounds of the male and female versions of "chubby" þybbinn vs. þybbin, and the only difference I can hear is that the "n" is held slightly longer when doubled. Is this a good way to think about it? Also, it sounds like there's a pause between the "b"s resulting in both letters being pronounced- eg. þyb-bin vs þybin (very similar to how Turkish and Japanese treat double consonants, at least in my mind), yeah?

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Radio posted:

Awhile ago, but thanks.

However, now I'm confused again. I'm trying to differentiate between the sounds of the male and female versions of "chubby" þybbinn vs. þybbin, and the only difference I can hear is that the "n" is held slightly longer when doubled. Is this a good way to think about it? Also, it sounds like there's a pause between the "b"s resulting in both letters being pronounced- eg. þyb-bin vs þybin (very similar to how Turkish and Japanese treat double consonants, at least in my mind), yeah?

Words ending in -in and -inn sound very similar in most instances, at least to my ear. In my experience many foreign speakers have a tendency to make the i-sound too long and/or the n-sound too soft when they pronounce words ending in -inn, so I suppose that's something to watch out for.

As for the double b, I suppose it can sound like that when said slowly. It's still essentially a stop, but I don't think there's any problem with treating it as þyb-bin in your mind as long as it gets you where you're going, so to speak. So I'd say that works for words with a double b, but I don't think you can apply it to any other double consonant, I'm trying it out in my head right now and the results are... weird.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
I go under the needle on Saturday, so one last double check:

Ekkert fæst án fórnar would be a translation of "You can't get anything without sacrifice" and would make sense as a stand-alone quote?

Thanks.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It got that ole timey archaic sound but is grammatically correct. More modern and direct I guess would be "Án fórnar fæst ekkert"?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Down with the government! :woop:

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
If there's a snap election, we will have had five governments in eleven years... :cripes:

Bold prediction:

• There will be a snap election.

• Pirates will lose seats, not because they did anything wrong but because last year was abnormal and they'll return to a natural equilibrium.

• The Independence Party will lose one seat at most and remain the largest party. Lose some from this scandal, gain some from voters returning from Resurgence, still have their loyal base. EDIT: After the Independence Party's leader's press conference, I think they might lose very little from this scandal and just gain voters returning from Resurgence, ending up with more seats than last election.

• No one will want to work with the Independence Party, so they'll be in the minority despite being largest. Actually, Resurgence/Viðreisn will probably be willing to work with them, but...

• Resurgence/Viðreisn will lose a bunch of seats, reflecting a feeling that they're just off-brand Independence Party anyway.

• Iceland FirstPeople's Party/Flokkur fólksins will get into Alþingi.

• Bright Future will still lose a few seats, but breaking the government will vindicate them to a number of voters who felt like they were acting as xD's lapdogs, so they won't be completely wiped out.
I say this is a bold prediction because I have a very shallow understanding of politics and this is probably completely wrong.

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 15, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Here's my predicition:

The Peoples Party, suddenly revealing their Stalinist tendencies, will execute a bloody revolution in parliament, when their wheelchairs and canes are revealed to be made entirely out of AK-47s and bullets.

Revealing that their school of Marxism says that the only true proletariat are the disabled, we will all be forced into disability, with special exceptions made for moral disabilities (such as being a sociopath, psychopath or right wing).

We will then enter a new, utopian state of existence.

also what a time to decide to take a few days off and go into the countryside....

Skyr
Jun 9, 2012

Werewhale posted:

If there's a snap election, we will have had five governments in eleven years... :cripes:

Bold prediction:

• There will be a snap election.

• Pirates will lose seats, not because they did anything wrong but because last year was abnormal and they'll return to a natural equilibrium.

• The Independence Party will lose one seat at most and remain the largest party. Lose some from this scandal, gain some from voters returning from Resurgence, still have their loyal base. EDIT: After the Independence Party's leader's press conference, I think they might lose very little from this scandal and just gain voters returning from Resurgence, ending up with more seats than last election.

• No one will want to work with the Independence Party, so they'll be in the minority despite being largest. Actually, Resurgence/Viðreisn will probably be willing to work with them, but...

• Resurgence/Viðreisn will lose a bunch of seats, reflecting a feeling that they're just off-brand Independence Party anyway.

• Iceland FirstPeople's Party/Flokkur fólksins will get into Alþingi.

• Bright Future will still lose a few seats, but breaking the government will vindicate them to a number of voters who felt like they were acting as xD's lapdogs, so they won't be completely wiped out.
I say this is a bold prediction because I have a very shallow understanding of politics and this is probably completely wrong.

Couple responses to this based on my also admittedly limited knowledge:
  • I would have said that the Pirates would lose seats (maybe even some to VG), but Helgi Hrafn's return to the list could help them at least tread water. I don't have numbers on this, but when they were gaining support I think he was their most popular politician (I certainly like him the most).
  • I think most people think Independence and the Progressives/Framsókn would work together again now that the stink of the last major scandal has worn off. I think it would be difficult for them to form a government like last time, but this would help.
  • I similarly think that crashing the government saved BF from falling out of Alþingi, but it doesn't really make sense to guess that they will lose seats - the way they are divvied out, the difference between 1 seat and 4 in terms of support is so microscopic that you pretty much automatically get a couple seats if you reach the 5% threshold.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
The fact that IP is still polling so well after all of this makes me turn the nihilist knob past the 11 it was already at to 14 cause gently caress this poo poo. Simply unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The people's party has grabbed a firm hold on the disabled and aged vote, which used to be all for Samfó. It's also getting the people who vote for every new party because FJÓRFLOKKURINNNNNN

• Locked thread