Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sludge Tank posted:

Friend of mine wants to know how to pronounce Raðljóst

"good luck"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

"Ey-ja-fjall-a-jø-kull"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Actually, most Icelandic words aren't that tough for germanic language speakers to get after a few tries. Yeah, it will be accented but English has most of the sounds except for a few (like the infamous double L)

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Actually, most Icelandic words aren't that tough for germanic language speakers to get after a few tries. Yeah, it will be accented but English has most of the sounds except for a few (like the infamous double L)

The þ-ð difference is probably the hardest part for English speakers, I think. I've been studying Icelandic off and on for about two or three years, and it only just now clicked the other day - it takes a lot of exposure. Both sounds exist in language, but we don't differentiate orthographically, so it's kind of a foreign concept.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Noctis Horrendae posted:

The þ-ð difference is probably the hardest part for English speakers, I think. I've been studying Icelandic off and on for about two or three years, and it only just now clicked the other day - it takes a lot of exposure. Both sounds exist in language, but we don't differentiate orthographically, so it's kind of a foreign concept.

Isn't the difference mainly voiced vs. voiceless (except that ð is sometimes pronounced voiceless like þ)? That's the same as the difference between b and p, or d and t, in English.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
On the subject of Iceland and asylum, things are getting pretty grim :(

https://grapevine.is/news/2016/12/07/asylum-seeker-sets-self-on-fire-at-shelter/

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Fuschia tude posted:

Isn't the difference mainly voiced vs. voiceless (except that ð is sometimes pronounced voiceless like þ)? That's the same as the difference between b and p, or d and t, in English.

It's still difficult to grasp with no prior knowledge, but yes!

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Tias posted:

On the subject of Iceland and asylum, things are getting pretty grim :(

https://grapevine.is/news/2016/12/07/asylum-seeker-sets-self-on-fire-at-shelter/

Getting? I used to be neighbors with an asylum seeker, even fixed his computer up once when it got infected by an annoying piece of malware, but then he set himself on fire a few years ago. It's telling that the first two words of that article are "yet again".

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
its very bad yes

None of the parties really want to go into it, the one that was most serious about systematic reform afaik was Samfó, that had made a special task group out of it

you can guess how much pull they have to change that around these days, hah!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Seasons greetings with Jólakötturinn, the icelandic yulecat that will loving eat you if you're not good!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Let me guess: the absence of large predators meant that cats were the most threatening animals they could think of?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Polar bears routinely drift over to Iceland actually.

It's more that if you wanted to explain something that would want to eat children to children, using cats seems pretty simple as they've probably seen them eat mice, birds and so on.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Jacobin article about Iceland. It seems that Iceland has potential to lead the charge with alternative politics.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jacobin article about Iceland. It seems that Iceland has potential to lead the charge with alternative politics.
I wrote a long fb post about how that article is kinda bad when it first came out

That's what happens when pirates analyze politics I suppose. Just the fundamental point of the article, that neoliberalism has at all died here, is wrong on so many levels it hurts. There's always been a problem in Iceland that people live in bubbles but holy smokes, that guy

And the situation has only developed into a greater clusterfuck since.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

I wrote a long fb post about how that article is kinda bad when it first came out

That's what happens when pirates analyze politics I suppose. Just the fundamental point of the article, that neoliberalism has at all died here, is wrong on so many levels it hurts. There's always been a problem in Iceland that people live in bubbles but holy smokes, that guy

Dabbi krunkar úti,
ávarpar xD-menn:
Ég fann fjölskyldu eina,
voða fátæka.
Komið nú og kroppiði með mér,
félagar mínir.
Komið nú og kroppiði með mér,
félagar mínir.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
On one hand I approve of the message, on the other hand while it does have stuðlar and höfuðstafir, rhyming 'eina' and 'fátæka' is tragic

And I am kinda giving that article short shrift; it isn't all bad. Lot of the parts in it are correct, but its fundamental message just sadly isn't right. I wish it was, but Iceland is still a deeply neoliberal nation and especially so among young people.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

So neoliberalism isn't at a decline? Is there any sort of alternative rising within the country?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

On one hand I approve of the message, on the other hand while it does have stuðlar and höfuðstafir, rhyming 'eina' and 'fátæka' is tragic

To be honest, I wasn't even trying to do any alliteration or rhyming, it just happened by accident. All I was trying to do was fit the original meter; it's not like an artist can afford luxuries like alliterative verse under a right-wing government.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

So neoliberalism isn't at a decline? Is there any sort of alternative rising within the country?
If by 'rising' you mean 'There's literally now a new solidly neoliberal block between Viðreisn and Björt Framtíð' then uhhhhh

The Pirates are also arguably neoliberal as well, insofar as they represent anything at all. Samfylkingin has always been embarassingly liberal as well.

The Leftist greens, the old faction in XD and XB are the only ones that aren't, but the ruling factions of both XD and XB both are neoliberal, so that doesn't really matter. (Their youth is usually libertarian, so it isn't even going to get better with time)

Boksi posted:

To be honest, I wasn't even trying to do any alliteration or rhyming, it just happened by accident. All I was trying to do was fit the original meter; it's not like an artist can afford luxuries like alliterative verse under a right-wing government.
Hmmm, let's see

Dabbi krunkar úti,
ávarpar xD-menn:
Ég fann fátæka fjölskyldu,
sem ekki er flúin enn

Komdu nú og kroppaðu með mér,
Kæri flokksfélaginn
Kæri flokksfélaginn

-enn/-inn is still a bit doggerel but 'flokksfélaginn minn' breaks the syllables and höfuðstafir

I like the imagery though

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Hmmm, let's see

Dabbi krunkar úti,
ávarpar xD-menn:
Ég fann fátæka fjölskyldu,
sem ekki er flúin enn

Kæri flokksfélaginn
Kæri flokksfélaginn

-enn/-inn is still a bit doggerel but 'flokksfélaginn minn' breaks the syllables and höfuðstafir

I like the imagery though

Even if you slur ekki into one syllable(ekk') that line is still six syllables while "hrygg og gæruskinn' is only five syllables. 'Ég fann fátæka fjölskyldu' is also one syllable too many, but you can slur fátæka as fátæk'. And of course, 'kæri flokksfélaginn' would have to slur kær' as well to fit the meter. Basically what I'm saying is, while alliterative verse is nice, I don't think there's any need for it right now. Time spent pondering alliteration is time spent not fighting the forces of neoliberalism, after all.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ertu ekki uggandi yfir stöðu ljóðsins???

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Merry Þorláksmessa errybody. Any you'se going out for delicious smelly eats?

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Merry Þorláksmessa.

I'm lucky in that my parents didn't grow up with the tradition of eating skata on Þorláksmessa. We had saltfiskur(basically just salt fish) for a while, but switched five years ago to lobster soup(or langoustine soup). It really is the best idea Dad has ever had.

Tias
May 25, 2008

salt and hardfiskur are both advanced child abuse, that people inflict on others because they know no better :colbert:

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Saltfiskur is easy to gently caress up but tasty when prepared correctly. Harðfiskur is just plain loving delicious, it's just expensive because you need like 3 kg of fish to make one kg of stockfish.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Every time someone opens a bag of harðfiskur I look around wondering whose piss I'm smelling.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Merry Christmas TRAITORS also rest of the thread

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
This thread is wonderfully informative but also miserably depressing as it makes me realize we have zero chance of being allowed to move to your wonderful country which is hands down the best place we have ever been. (I will be a masters level therapist, she will have a BA in geology, and I imagine you guys are full up on those)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ehhhh. There's ways and means, if you're young and educated most countries wont turn you away. Iceland is just a mite trickier. And then you just have to get on the senatorial citizenship list. ;)

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

bloodysabbath posted:

This thread is wonderfully informative but also miserably depressing as it makes me realize we have zero chance of being allowed to move to your wonderful country
Imagine how I feel. I only have two 2-year general studies degrees.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Well there's always marriage and getting a different kind of European citizenship, then just using the EEA rules to live here.

Theres also a chance that now that we have a foreign born libertarian as congressman he.might start a faction about immigration reform and ffffff sorry I couldnt continue. Maybe the Pirates and Leftist Greens (Samfó actually has an ever growing faction of reformers but they're in no position to change anything)

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Theres also a chance that now that we have a foreign born libertarian as congressman he.might start a faction about immigration reform and ffffff sorry I couldnt continue.

Instead of having to prove that they couldn't find an Icelander to do the job, they just have to prove that it would be cheaper to get a foreigner to do the job? That's about the only kind of immigration reform I can imagine coming from those types.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
So, this might be the best place to ask this:

On a recent trip to Iceland we bought this cute/creepy horned figure that was hand made by an artist named Lina Rut.

Here is a link to her profile with the figures:

https://m.facebook.com/145550538794644/photos/a.421892691160426.117651.145550538794644/1545065892176428/?type=3&source=54

Well, a stumble over the Christmas decorations resulted in it taking a tumble and the head separating from the body.

Do any of you know of an online store we could import one of these from? My girlfriend is pretty upset about it to the point where I'm considering messaging the artist directly as a last resort

EDIT: The store we bought it from is HRIM. They have a web store but none of the figures there. I've sent them a email looking into options. If that falls through, I would be open to paying an honest to god Icelander from this thread to pick one up and send it to the States.

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 27, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Gluing it didn't work?

I mean, I could check it out (Have done things like this before) but I'm sure that if you contacted the artist, it wouldn't only be gratifying but she'd be more than happy to help.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
No one has posted in this thread for a number of months, so I'm hoping it's not dead.

I'm looking for someone who can translate a simple sentence. English into Icelandic. Let me know if you can help!

Thanks in advance!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Gorilla Radio posted:

No one has posted in this thread for a number of months, so I'm hoping it's not dead.

I'm looking for someone who can translate a simple sentence. English into Icelandic. Let me know if you can help!

Thanks in advance!
Yea what?

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Cool!

"There is nothing without sacrifice".

Google is giving me

"Það er ekkert án fórna"

Would this be a good translation? Is there a better way to say this? Is there a good proverb or saying that would be relevant?

Thanks!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Icelandic doesn't let you say that without context. Well, not well at least, as that google translation is technically correct but sounds, wrong.

I'm making 4 in the morning frowny faces over this.

If what you mean is that "You can't get anything without sacrificing" then it's "Ekkert fæst án fórnar" but if you mean "Nothing comes into existence without something being sacrificed" then it might go "Ekkert verður til án fórnar" but that is, odd. If you mean "Without sacrifice it's meaningless" then you could do "Án fórnar er ekkert" which would be literally "Without sacrifice there is nothing" but again, it's grammatically dodgy because it's shorn of context.

Oh yeah and "Fórnar" is "Sacrifice" but if it's plural or an ongoing thing you use "Fórna" like in the google translation

Also sorry about late reply, kinda forget this thread at times and haven't been home much.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007

Icelandic doesn't let you say that without context. Well, not well at least, as that google translation is technically correct but sounds, wrong.

I'm making 4 in the morning frowny faces over this.

If what you mean is that "You can't get anything without sacrificing" then it's "Ekkert fæst án fórnar" but if you mean "Nothing comes into existence without something being sacrificed" then it might go "Ekkert verður til án fórnar" but that is, odd. If you mean "Without sacrifice it's meaningless" then you could do "Án fórnar er ekkert" which would be literally "Without sacrifice there is nothing" but again, it's grammatically dodgy because it's shorn of context.

Oh yeah and "Fórnar" is "Sacrifice" but if it's plural or an ongoing thing you use "Fórna" like in the google translation

Also sorry about late reply, kinda forget this thread at times and haven't been home much.

Já, takk. The first is what I'm looking for. Don't worry about it. We're all busy.

Context: I'm getting a tattoo commemorating the story of Oðínn giving an eye to Mímir to drink from Mímisbrunnr.

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ain't no thang son, I'm always here to be helpful

• Locked thread