Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
Why do you think music culture in Iceland is so influential? Why do Nordic countries have such small populations? Are there any Icelandic video games? If there are, you should totally LP them. I definitely will be there to troll wholeheartedly enjoy the thread.

Oh yeah, what do you think about the Ukrainian crisis? What's your opinion of Putin and Medvedev?

Colorred fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theseus
Jan 15, 2008

All I know is if there is a God, he's laughin' his ass off.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Dude, I am as ever pretty hesitant to advise people with traveling because I've never travelled Iceland as a tourist, but I'll try my best.

6K is pretty drat hopeful, as you should probs check what the hostels and whatnot cost. Food can add up but your biggest costs will be those, if you order now you may get that poo poo cheap but late summer is peak season, sooo. You can maybe find them cheap, but you wouldn't last long for that money at the hotel I worked at for that money. That itinerary is pretty good, and if you had 4 days extra you could spend 3 of them in the Reykjavík area and one in Akureyri, doing whatevs.

As for what to do, what do you like? Art? History? Drinking? Theatre, games, shopping, tanning? There's plenty options and I can talk about a lot of them, but I'd like to get a grasp of what you want outta the trip.

And you can drive the ring road on a normal car, pretty much. We've driven it with an old Ford Focus, so you probs don't need a big rear end loving jeep.

Well, it turns out that I'm going to have to push this trip to next year. Which means I can be more open about travel season, if there is a better time to go than late summer. It sounds like 20 days is the right timeframe.

Is 10K more reasonable? I don't have a great estimate as to budget on this sucker. I would expect airfare would be roughly 1.2k, car rental for the period probably around 3-5k (+ a couple hundred for gas, I would expect). I am completely down with hostels and had not planned to stay in a proper hotel. Prices I was seeing for those were between $30-50/night, which seems quite affordable. I would expect that with 16 days of driving around the country, I would often be in places totally lacking in hotels anyway (?).

In terms of what I am interested in - I'm quite fond of theatre, symphonies, and to a lesser degree history. I also like to hike, though my guess is that after 16 days of seeing the countryside I will want to save a long hike for another trip. Drinking is good, but I will be traveling solo so I'm a bit wary. My primary plan was to see as much of the country/landscape/nature as possible on the trip. I'm pretty open to suggestions; essentially everything you mentioned save tanning are things that I could be into a bit of. The Ford Focus thing is extremely reassuring; the cars that are along the lines of a Toyota Corolla are around 3.2k for the 20/21 day period I was eyeballing, which would be towards the low end of my expectation on car rental.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Colorred posted:

Are there any Icelandic video games?

Eve is made by an Icelandic company. It has a greater population than Iceland itself.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
Icelandic dried fish is delicious and I just has a friend bring back lots. Is there any particular way to eat it other than just cramming it into my mouth? Seems like it might make a good soup or something...

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

breathstealer posted:

Icelandic dried fish is delicious and I just has a friend bring back lots. Is there any particular way to eat it other than just cramming it into my mouth? Seems like it might make a good soup or something...

Add a bit of butter.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Colorred posted:

Why do you think music culture in Iceland is so influential? Why do Nordic countries have such small populations? Are there any Icelandic video games? If there are, you should totally LP them. I definitely will be there to troll wholeheartedly enjoy the thread.

Oh yeah, what do you think about the Ukrainian crisis? What's your opinion of Putin and Medvedev?
Because it is good and sorta different. Why that is, is a question probs beyond me. And the Nordics don't have a small population, it's everywhere else that has abnormally large ones. Like, drat Asia, what the heck were you thinking there? Just because you got wet-rice agriculture is no reason to go nuts with the whole "increasing your population" thing.

There are a few, aside from EVE online of course, but someone is already LPing that and most of the other games, well. The ones that aren't for children are mostly really old and not that special. Heh, I might do Tímaflakkarinn if I find a crack of it I suppose.

I think the Ukrainian crisis is pretty complex and that Russia is pretty clearly in the wrong, but there's things like the American criticism of Russia (lol) and whether the Crimean have a right to secede that I just ain't sure about. The only clear way out for Ukraine that I could think of would be an actual helpful EU and hahaha, those fuckers are ruled by penny-pinching pro-austerity nitwits.

I don't have a strong opinion on Medvedev because he mostly just seems to be Putins muppet. As for the big P himself, he's an embodiment of the worst of Russian "democratic" tradition and his corruption and inept ruling of Russia is sadly pretty much in character for a ruler of the country. Why can't Russia have good things?

Theseus posted:

Well, it turns out that I'm going to have to push this trip to next year. Which means I can be more open about travel season, if there is a better time to go than late summer. It sounds like 20 days is the right timeframe.

Is 10K more reasonable? I don't have a great estimate as to budget on this sucker. I would expect airfare would be roughly 1.2k, car rental for the period probably around 3-5k (+ a couple hundred for gas, I would expect). I am completely down with hostels and had not planned to stay in a proper hotel. Prices I was seeing for those were between $30-50/night, which seems quite affordable. I would expect that with 16 days of driving around the country, I would often be in places totally lacking in hotels anyway (?).

In terms of what I am interested in - I'm quite fond of theatre, symphonies, and to a lesser degree history. I also like to hike, though my guess is that after 16 days of seeing the countryside I will want to save a long hike for another trip. Drinking is good, but I will be traveling solo so I'm a bit wary. My primary plan was to see as much of the country/landscape/nature as possible on the trip. I'm pretty open to suggestions; essentially everything you mentioned save tanning are things that I could be into a bit of. The Ford Focus thing is extremely reassuring; the cars that are along the lines of a Toyota Corolla are around 3.2k for the 20/21 day period I was eyeballing, which would be towards the low end of my expectation on car rental.
Did you know you are a space station in the Swapper? The more you know.

Really though, late summer to early fall is pretty busy. Before that is preferrable, but not really that harsh. The important thing is more often than not simply ordering ahead of time.

Again, I only worked at the hotel and when I travel, I sleep at relatives places as I'm pretty lucky in that the clan has roots in the north and the east, so I always got family I can crash at when I go there. Not the west though, so I know the least about it. 10K seems workable to me, but I reckon you could probably make that work, especially if you shop at Bonus so as to not to eat out at every meal.

Well, most of the cultural stuff is to be found in the capital area, but a lot of the smaller places each have their own little museums and galleries and things. More often than not, it's simply best to visit the local tourist info places in the regional hubs (These being Reykjavík, Akureyri, Egilstaðir and Ísafjörður, for each corner of the country respectively) and getting suggestions from them. I can suggest a range of things around the Reykjavík metropolitan area, including the surrounding smaller towns, but aside from a few classics (Icelandic history, art gallery, penis museum, national park, presidents house and opera house and the 4 or so theatres) there's enough variation each year I'd just suggest, again, contacting tourist info when the date draws closer.

I could take ya out drinking, but realize that my services need also be payed for with booze of your choosing! This also helps us get into the mood, as local prices for alcohol are prohibitive, the only country I've been to that's worse is Norway and they're an oil sheikdom. As for the nature, that itinerary you showed me earlier is a pretty good "best of", there are of course plenty of little pearls you won't see but with 20 days that's a pretty good slice for your buck.

And the car should be fine, if you stick to the main roads. Just be aware you might have to drive on gravel roads and for petes sake not to speed on them or when it's been raining or snowing, because dying is not a pleasant tourist experience.
And checking the Grapevine of course.. I shoulda put that in the OP or something.

breathstealer posted:

dor1 is right, butter is the classic, I prefer also adding salt to the butter but some more, enterprising folks have tried it with cream cheese, with mixed results and someone also told me it was good with garlic oil. That guy was kinda crazy though.

I don't recommend rehydrating it or cooking it though. Although, who knows, maybe you'll discover something new and amazing, there always has to be a first.

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012

There are a few, aside from EVE online of course, but someone is already LPing that and most of the other games, well. The ones that aren't for children are mostly really old and not that special. Heh, I might do Tímaflakkarinn if I find a crack of it I suppose.

All I can find when I looked up this game some stuff about John Titor, and a single post from a guy who said that it was a multimedia (FMV?) game. The way you mentioned that makes it sound amazing (or at least batshit crazy) though.

Do Icelanders have any cool or weird traditions that Americans might not know about?

...Russia is pretty clearly in the wrong, but there's things like the American criticism of Russia (lol) and whether the Crimean have a right to secede that I just ain't sure about. The only clear way out for Ukraine that I could think of would be an actual helpful EU and hahaha, those fuckers are ruled by penny-pinching pro-austerity nitwits.

lol hillary clinton thinks Putin is literally Hitler lololol

You mentioned that you've worked a ton of jobs across multiple fields. (museum security guard, hotel clerk) Is that because of the job market in Iceland, or something else?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Colorred posted:

All I can find when I looked up this game some stuff about John Titor, and a single post from a guy who said that it was a multimedia (FMV?) game. The way you mentioned that makes it sound amazing (or at least batshit crazy) though.
It was a time-travel adventure game made to teach you about Icelandic history. It was, uhh, pretty strange, to say the least.

Colorred posted:

Do Icelanders have any cool or weird traditions that Americans might not know about?
Yes. Rulesbook Heavenly, while a jerk, made a good thread about the Yule lads back in the day. I think it's in the gibbis goldmine somewhere.
Other traditions might include attaching bags of ash to people as a prank, going from company to company to beg for candy while singing and uhhh, maybe lighting up the sky in the new year? Most people are pretty amazed at the quantity of fireworks if nothing else.

Colorred posted:

lol hillary clinton thinks Putin is literally Hitler lololol
So it goes.

Colorred posted:

You mentioned that you've worked a ton of jobs across multiple fields. (museum security guard, hotel clerk) Is that because of the job market in Iceland, or something else?
Partly, though I could probs have landed those jobs again if I wanted, although I think the art gallery is now something different, the owner liked shaking things up with that. Mostly though, I just wanted to get as varied a resumé as I could, while still getting in mad bux. So I managed to do a lot of these jobs at the same time or do several seasonal ones at once.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Colorred posted:

Are there any Icelandic video games? If there are, you should totally LP them. I definitely will be there to troll wholeheartedly enjoy the thread.

Yep, besides Eve there are a few startups. My husband and I have published a few apps, two of which are videogames. You can find "Rotor" on android and iOS and "Whack a Putin" in the android store. We've also made a virtual fitness trainer available in iOS, Android, and Windows 8 if you search for "Vfit".

Funny enough Penguin, I think I might have told you this in another thread, but your Ask/tell thread back in 2006 was responsible for my move here to Iceland. I got curious about visiting because of your post, added it to my Euro-tour, and met my now husband on a personals site before visiting. I've lived here 7 years now, waiting on my citizenship, and speak passable Icelandic now (my first second language). Fostered a few kids here, something I never dreamed of stateside as a gay guy growing up in Virginia, and really enjoy the human rights record here (outside of the horrendous asylum process).

My favorite things about Iceland: Walking/biking/rollerskating around Grótta, and walking out to the lighthouse. Skyr, the awesome bike trails making bicycle commuting much easier than most cities I lived in stateside, Northern lights, the small friendly gay scene, affordable housing compared to LA, and of course my husband and his family. I have heard from several expat friends here that they found Icelanders hard to make friends with, but my experience has been much better than I found living in Germany, very easy to meet new people and make friends.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ahh, I'm sorta old fashioned so I haven't really been following the app store games from Iceland, though there's a few around.

Also Mindgames, they're sorta different. Play videogames with your mind! A bud of mine was a paid intern there a while back, was pretty neat.

And lest I be accused of taking credit where it ain't due: it was probs another guy who made that A/T thread in '06, I was mostly a front-page guy back then. Didn't even start lurking until, what, 2010?

And it is great to hear you've been digging Iceland! Especially glad you can be true to your sexuality here, one of the things I'm really proud of is how far we've gotten on those matters in only a few decades. I'm hoping that trend continues forevermore.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

poopinmymouth posted:

We've also made a virtual fitness trainer available in iOS, Android, and Windows 8 if you search for "Vfit".

This one? I guess it being made by gays explains the appearance of the trainer character.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Kopijeger posted:

This one? I guess it being made by gays explains the appearance of the trainer character.

If you wander into Mjölnir, that's how most of the serious trainers are dressed, including our own undefeated MMA superstar, Gunnar Nelson.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

poopinmymouth posted:

If you wander into Mjölnir, that's how most of the serious trainers are dressed, including our own undefeated MMA superstar, Gunnar Nelson.
Yea, seems perfectly normal to me.

How did you take the whole "let's all shower naked" thing in swimming pools btw? I know a lot of yanks have problems getting used to that.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

6K is pretty drat hopeful, as you should probs check what the hostels and whatnot cost. Food can add up but your biggest costs will be those, if you order now you may get that poo poo cheap but late summer is peak season, sooo. You can maybe find them cheap, but you wouldn't last long for that money at the hotel I worked at for that money. That itinerary is pretty good, and if you had 4 days extra you could spend 3 of them in the Reykjavík area and one in Akureyri, doing whatevs.

Do you have a rough idea of how quickly booking fills up? Because I was originally going to wait until the end of May to book everything (hostel reservations and rental car) for my trip in August, because apparently around 2 months before the date is when the airfare tends to be the cheapest generally. Is this a terrible idea, and should I be booking everything except the airfare now?

Christoff posted:

But it seems we just attribute all whaling to Japan.

I think part of it is that Japan's reason for whaling is the problem. Rather than taking the route that Scandinavia did, saying that they object to the moratorium based on the knowledge that minke populations are stable, and therefore continue to openly commercially whale, Japan has taken the route of saying that they continue to whale solely for research into whaling populations. And yet any tourist wandering around Nagasaki will seriously trip over any number of stores which specialize in the preparation of whale meat, or sell scrimshaw tchotchkes. Heck, the menu for Dejima museum has deep fried whale cutlet on the menu (and cheap, the whaling industry there has more whale than they know what to do with, so they end up dumping a lot of it onto anyone that will buy it).

The other part is racism; the opposition to Japanese whaling coincided more or less with the Japanese economic boom in the 80s and 90s, when the U.S. was worried about the Japanese taking over the world with cramped economy cars and Sony walkmans.

To tie things back to Iceland, is whale meat tested to ensure that there isn't an excessive amount of methylmercury?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ookuwagata posted:

Do you have a rough idea of how quickly booking fills up? Because I was originally going to wait until the end of May to book everything (hostel reservations and rental car) for my trip in August, because apparently around 2 months before the date is when the airfare tends to be the cheapest generally. Is this a terrible idea, and should I be booking everything except the airfare now?
You should be fine doing it whenever, I'd go with whenever is cheapest or whichever you feel most comfortable with. Currently there is a boom in the tourist industry so finding a place shouldn't be too hard, but I'm going to be un-Icelandic and suggest that it is better to be certain.
It should all work out though.

ookuwagata posted:

I think part of it is that Japan's reason for whaling is the problem. Rather than taking the route that Scandinavia did, saying that they object to the moratorium based on the knowledge that minke populations are stable, and therefore continue to openly commercially whale, Japan has taken the route of saying that they continue to whale solely for research into whaling populations. And yet any tourist wandering around Nagasaki will seriously trip over any number of stores which specialize in the preparation of whale meat, or sell scrimshaw tchotchkes. Heck, the menu for Dejima museum has deep fried whale cutlet on the menu (and cheap, the whaling industry there has more whale than they know what to do with, so they end up dumping a lot of it onto anyone that will buy it).

The other part is racism; the opposition to Japanese whaling coincided more or less with the Japanese economic boom in the 80s and 90s, when the U.S. was worried about the Japanese taking over the world with cramped economy cars and Sony walkmans.

To tie things back to Iceland, is whale meat tested to ensure that there isn't an excessive amount of methylmercury?
Yea, well. We don't like what they're doing with their quotas either. Most of the northern whalers, when pressed, aren't sure if the Japanese hunt is perfectly sustainable, but the IWC is such an idiot organization that there's no room for rational talks between us because apparently the voice of fuckin Chad, Mongolia or Switzerland are as valid as ours when it comes to whaling, don't want it to be a "butchers club" after all, so we have to side with the Japanese, even though we might not be quite ok with some of the stuff they do, because the only other option is apparently "No whaling, ever, because we said so" - The guys that killed almost all of our whales.

The racism bit is also huge. This stuff came up in Germany when I was talking to some left-wing people and boy howdy, between that and the pro-Israeli stuff I was really, really shocked.

And yea, of course it is. Minke, as a non-toothed whale is mostly not as bad as many but it's still not something that peeps should eat a lot of or often.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

Yea, well. We don't like what they're doing with their quotas either. Most of the northern whalers, when pressed, aren't sure if the Japanese hunt is perfectly sustainable, but the IWC is such an idiot organization that there's no room for rational talks between us because apparently the voice of fuckin Chad, Mongolia or Switzerland are as valid as ours when it comes to whaling, don't want it to be a "butchers club" after all, so we have to side with the Japanese, even though we might not be quite ok with some of the stuff they do, because the only other option is apparently "No whaling, ever, because we said so" - The guys that killed almost all of our whales.

The racism bit is also huge. This stuff came up in Germany when I was talking to some left-wing people and boy howdy, between that and the pro-Israeli stuff I was really, really shocked.

And yea, of course it is. Minke, as a non-toothed whale is mostly not as bad as many but it's still not something that peeps should eat a lot of or often.

Huh, I was just watching the NHK world service, and just now the International Court of Justice ruled that Japan's Antarctic whaling program is not for research, and that Japan cannot whale in the Antarctic for the time being, until something more concrete can be worked out.

Where would be a good place to sample traditional Icelandic whale meat?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Yea, seems perfectly normal to me.

How did you take the whole "let's all shower naked" thing in swimming pools btw? I know a lot of yanks have problems getting used to that.

Well it was conpounded a bit by being gay, so not only was I facing the prudish self-conscious aspect, but it was also like whoah, hotties everywhere. The only communal showers I ever got in America (private school without showers in gym class) was at the pool I visited, and everyone kept their swim suit on.

Took about two weeks to get comfortable with the nudity myself, now it's no big deal. Also my personal opinion of the american nudity thing, is at least part of it is shame based. We see hot bodies all over TV, but many Americans don't look anything like that. Now at 32 I'm in the best shape of my life, so revealing a lean body is not as intimidating as if I was corpulent. I imagine it would be especially difficult being fat in a country of mostly slim and fit (at least in the gym showers) people.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 31, 2014

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ookuwagata posted:

Huh, I was just watching the NHK world service, and just now the International Court of Justice ruled that Japan's Antarctic whaling program is not for research, and that Japan cannot whale in the Antarctic for the time being, until something more concrete can be worked out.

Where would be a good place to sample traditional Icelandic whale meat?
Heh, yea, I heard. We'll see how much that sticks, they've managed before. Japanese politics run on regional special interests and whaling is pretty concentrated thing there.

But apparently this also means we'll have Sea Shepherd coming back. I guess tarnishing the name of environmentalists for the last few decades wasn't enough, now we have to have them gallivanting around here too. The only bright spot is that maybe the incompetents in government might actually try and handle them seriously, which can only end in hilarity for all involved.

The best places for getting traditional is probably Sægreifinn, for the meat. You'll be sad to know that the sour whale blubber is only a seasonal specialty around Þorra, so you'll probs have to do without and make do with shark. ;)

poopinmymouth posted:

Well it was conpounded a bit by being gay, so not only was I facing the prudish self-conscious aspect, but it was also like whoah, hotties everywhere. The only communal showers I ever got in America (private school without showers in gym class) was at the pool I visited, and everyone kept their swim suit on.

Took about two weeks to get comfortable with the nudity myself, now it's no big deal. Also my personal opinion of the american nudity thing, is at least part of it is shame based. We see hot bodies all over TV, but many Americans don't look anything like that. Now at 32 I'm in the best shape of my life, so revealing a lean body is not as intimidating as if I was corpulent. I imagine it would be especially difficult being fat in a country of mostly slim and fit (at least in the gym showers) people.
Haha, yea, I heard that's a problem for some dudes. Especially as it's somewhat, hard, to hide it, ehhh.

And it differs. Body positivism still isn't widely accepted here, but for most people, excepting that troubling time the teenage years are, are mostly normalized to the nakedness. It certainly helps that most folks going swimming are in good condition, the bastards.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Y'know, that piques my interest - how much of a hassle is Sea Shepard in Iceland? Do you have to deal with them often, like how they come to the Faroes annually? How are they viewed by the Icelandic public? Anger, scorn, bemusement, perhaps even sympathy?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

inscrutable horse posted:

Y'know, that piques my interest - how much of a hassle is Sea Shepard in Iceland? Do you have to deal with them often, like how they come to the Faroes annually? How are they viewed by the Icelandic public? Anger, scorn, bemusement, perhaps even sympathy?
Nah, as far as I know they usually only come over to you guys for the Grindadráp right? Ours isn't as cool as that so they mostly haven't come since they sunk those two whaling ships.

The public, in those rare cases they think about them, consider them semi-lunatics. The official stance is that they're a "terrorist" organization because of the boats they sank (though few people take that seriously) and most conservationists or those on the left in general hold them in contempt because of how they damaged the cause, by tarring the name of all people opposed to whaling with their sabotage. And on all sides there's the "Who the hell are you foreigners to tell us what to do?", which is to be found on all sides.

How is it in the Faroes? Similar?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Yeah, we get them every summer, like a bad case of malaria. Heh, they tried to raise a proper stink about whaling last year, but not a single whale was spotted for the entire duration of their stay - and of course, the whales started showing up about one week after SS had left. That got a few chuckles.

Opinion of SS around here can be quite varied. Like in Iceland, the organization is officially considered a terrorist/criminal one, but no one really takes it seriously. Most look upon the rank-and-file members with a kind of sympathetic bemusement, as if they are misguided children with no real idea of what they're doing. They're a pretty harmless bunch, who walk around chanting dumb slogans in painfully bad Faroese, occasionally running away from the natives in a fit of paranoia. Paul Watson, however, is pretty much universally hated for being, well, Paul Watson.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Paul Watson is literally the worst. It's almost funny how he's the posterchild for winning battles and losing wars in the NGO world.

And they try that "We speak your lingo!" thing there too? Ugghhh, I remember them trying that once in the news when we restarted the whaling, so painful. At the same time they look conceited and childish.

Do you also have some of the better ones? Like the one by the, IWF I think, "Meet us, don't eat us" ? That one is ok, I guess.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Nah, the rest of the world's conservation community doesn't really give a drat about Faroese whaling, because they aren't complete morons, and realize that pilot whales aren't remotely endangered, and that the (wildly fluctuating) numbers we catch every year don't even begin to make a dent into the overall population. Still, nearly all conservation organizations are viewed with at least some hostility; some because they get conflated with Sea Shepard, others because of how their anti-seal message screws over Greenland.

e:

That is, they don't give a drat in the sense that they have no presence here, and we basically never hear anything anti-Faroes from them.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
So, just got back from Iceland. It was wonderful and the weather wasn't that bad. What's the deal with Akureyri and stupid kids with loud cars that just drive around for no goddamn reason?
Also, Mývatn has way to many flies. I hated every single minute I was there because of the loving things.

Whales are tasty and I want to have them here in my home country :(.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Punc posted:

So, just got back from Iceland. It was wonderful and the weather wasn't that bad. What's the deal with Akureyri and stupid kids with loud cars that just drive around for no goddamn reason?
Also, Mývatn has way to many flies. I hated every single minute I was there because of the loving things.

You were probably in Akureyri during Bíladagar (car days). It's supposed to be an annual festival or car enthusiasts, but in reality it's a bunch of idiots driving around town like idiots.
Mývatn is named for it's flies, 'Mý' meaning Gnat, and Vatn meaning water, so flies are to be expected.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Punc posted:

Why do y'all suckas never visit? drat yo, I'm always up for a lil "Show the tourists poo poo and feed them".

But yea, you got pretty lucky on weather and dor1 continues to do my job for me in the thread by answering things before I do.

It seems that you weren't alone with those cars bothering you, as folks were sorta annoyed by the loudness. And I've once been to Mývatn, never again when the flies are out.

So where'd you go, other than the North?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E0BhQm27RA4

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You guys laugh pretty hard at the Mighty Ducks movie, eh? Is ice hockey even popular at all over there? Just so funny they focused a whole movie around it when you guys don't even play the drat sport

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Christoff posted:

You guys laugh pretty hard at the Mighty Ducks movie, eh? Is ice hockey even popular at all over there? Just so funny they focused a whole movie around it when you guys don't even play the drat sport

There are 3 active hockey teams, compare that to (at least) 36 active (association) football teams, and no one really follows it, not that i know of anyway.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Christoff posted:

It was pretty loving funny yea. I actually knew a guy that played some ice hockey and he found it extra hilarious how ultra-aryan everyone on the team was too.

"but the drat place is called ice-land, surely they must be ice hockeying around all day" must have gone the thought.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Why do y'all suckas never visit? drat yo, I'm always up for a lil "Show the tourists poo poo and feed them".

But yea, you got pretty lucky on weather and dor1 continues to do my job for me in the thread by answering things before I do.

It seems that you weren't alone with those cars bothering you, as folks were sorta annoyed by the loudness. And I've once been to Mývatn, never again when the flies are out.

So where'd you go, other than the North?

Started out in Kevlavik and went all the way around. Had a mobilehome so we had to stick to the decent roads thou.
Things we saw (which were awesome): Seljaland, Geysir (which is better then anything Yellowstone has to offer), Gullfoss, Húsavik for a whale tour and Reykavic (where we had a hoddog from the best hotdog stand in the world or something - they weren't too bad :))

We did have cured shark (never again). Do you guys actually eat that poo poo or is more a "haha dumb tourists will eat cured shark" kind of thing?

We were only in Reykavic for half a day, so the day was too packed to visit people from a forum :( (and my co-travelers would've looked at me funny for suggesting it)

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Punc posted:

We did have cured shark (never again). Do you guys actually eat that poo poo or is more a "haha dumb tourists will eat cured shark" kind of thing?

Mostly just for tourists, but it's also served on occasions that call for "traditional" food, like þorrablót. "Traditional" meaning "poo poo our poor-as-gently caress ancestors ate because they couldn't afford real food." It's mostly just for old people, in my experience.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Nice Punc, seems you got a good snapshot of the place! You often get cheap weekend flights to Reykjavík anyhow, so you can do a return visit later if you want to see more.

As for Shark, more people than you'd think like it but there's a definite old-folks bias towards liking it. It's very much an acquired taste.

And Þorrablót are fantastic if you're vegetarian. All meat all the time.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

dor1 posted:

There are 3 active hockey teams, compare that to (at least) 36 active (association) football teams, and no one really follows it, not that i know of anyway.

So, is there any particular country's team that Icelanders are (or was, if they were eliminated) backing in the world cup?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

I know this is old but for the most part, while I found that particularly confusing at first, I totally understood the purpose behind it--"no really, please do not contaminate our pools."

But then when I was in the showers at Blue Lagoon when some sort of secondary school group arrived for the day and hundreds of teenage boys came pouring into the changing rooms, I was like "no. This is not cool anymore." Though that would have been awful even if they were clothed, I suppose.

My wife and I are definitely coming back again for our 5th anniversary in 2016. If the Forums still exist then, you watch out! We have already been there for about a month in the """warm""" season though, and we are gunning for some perpetual blackness and Northern Lights this time around.

This is the first bad thing I have ever seen about Icelandic scenery, haha. But also amazing.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ookuwagata posted:

So, is there any particular country's team that Icelanders are (or was, if they were eliminated) backing in the world cup?
We had a lad in the American team, who would rather play with them than ours. A lot of gnashing of teeth what with him, heh, picking the stronger horse, as it were. I vaguely remember the Icelandic Football Association being hella passive aggressive too.

I backed Germany myself, out of loyalty to the ol host country.

Quarex posted:

I know this is old but for the most part, while I found that particularly confusing at first, I totally understood the purpose behind it--"no really, please do not contaminate our pools."

But then when I was in the showers at Blue Lagoon when some sort of secondary school group arrived for the day and hundreds of teenage boys came pouring into the changing rooms, I was like "no. This is not cool anymore." Though that would have been awful even if they were clothed, I suppose.
Haha, less chlorine, more cleaning on the use end. Just be glad this wasn't you.

Quarex posted:

My wife and I are definitely coming back again for our 5th anniversary in 2016. If the Forums still exist then, you watch out! We have already been there for about a month in the """warm""" season though, and we are gunning for some perpetual blackness and Northern Lights this time around.
Nice! I only recommend the Christmas season for experienced Iceland travellers because almost everything is closed but it is a hell of a time to visit and there's lots of cool stuff that only happens then or just after. Always up for showing tourists a bit of that homey Icelandic culture that you don't get in the over-priced tourists joints too.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Do you believe in elves?

edit

Serious question. Not a joke.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

Do you believe in elves?

edit

No.

I guess some people do, but i dont think it's at all common.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

Do you believe in elves?

edit

I am agnostic on elves. I used to be an elf-atheist but then I saw Sigurrós in concert and now I have my doubts.

Certainly more believable than the free market or Jesus, if I could live in a hill away from the rest of Iceland and had a ready supply of anthrax poo poo would be p-sweet.

And the agnostic view is the most common one, with most people not thinking about it and non-belief being the close seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

We had a lad in the American team, who would rather play with them than ours. A lot of gnashing of teeth what with him, heh, picking the stronger horse, as it were. I vaguely remember the Icelandic Football Association being hella passive aggressive too.

I backed Germany myself, out of loyalty to the ol host country.

Well that match with Brazil must have been really interesting to watch. I mean in the same way it's interesting to watch that nature documentary where an eagle throws a goat off a cliff.

Also: am booked to go to Iceland in August, and stay about six days.

ookuwagata fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 10, 2014

• Locked thread