Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
I started learning danish in 4th grade, I was one of the last kids to start that young. I started english in 7th grade, but cartoon network, TV, adventure games and reading books on my own left me far ahead of the curve.

Feel free to PM me with stuff regarding stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
Keflavík has it's nice sides, I have some family that lives there and lived there for about a year. But it's a very corrupt and badly run town.

I really didn't like living there.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

Werewhale posted:

Could you elaborate on what's so awful about Árni? I keep hearing that everybody hates him and he's the reason Samfylkingin is in such poor shape but I can't find any reason why he's so disliked.

Árni stands for Christian values and old kinds of thinking, he also might just not be very likeable. Samfylkingin has a history of getting leaders that are lacking in unimportant aspects when it comes to serving in office, but are important in other ways. Jóhanna (Iceland's former PM) for an example is terrible at speeches. She really reads it from the page.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

punk rebel ecks posted:

From what i understand, Iceland was the first nation to every elect a female president. However. I've heard that in Iceland the president is nothing but a figurehead. Is that true?

Debatable, during the Vigdís Finnbogadóttir years and prior to that, yes certainly. However Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson (who finally left the presidency this year) changed this nature by using his ability to not pass a law, and thus set a precedent. Who knows which way our new president will swing!

Vigdís Finnbogadóttir agonized over having to sign a law prohibiting stewardesses to strike, she had been one before becoming president.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

punk rebel ecks posted:

She didn't veto such a bill!?!?!?

Nope :( I find it to be the the darkest moment of her presidency, which was otherwise only positive.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So she had virtually no power at all?

The celebration of being "the first woman president" was moot?

Pretty much on the first account.

However she did come out of a wave of really powerful women in the realm of politics, that really made history at the time. I don't believe it to be a moot celebration, as in many ways the President is our hype-man.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
I believe our reigning president is sort of cool (I didn't vote for him.) His first task as president was showing up to hang out with mentally disabled people, looking like Mr. Bean.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That lady in the upper right is only physically disabled yo
Good spot.

She's a congresswoman (I believe) and has done really excellent work raising awareness for the difficulties facing disabled people. Right now if you go to the city's offices across Reykjavík you will now find pamphlets regarding the sexual molestation / harassment / rape disabled women very often face.

She and the lady below her (a broadcaster on the National Broadcast for you foreign types) criticised his visit to Sólheimar, as it gathers up disabled people (mostly mentally, I believe) and takes them outside of society, where us normies don't have to see them. I was very lazy and just got the first pic I found of him in his Bean get up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
not penguin but:

the vowel before nn is shorter than the one before a singular n. Þinn is a kind of short "thin" while þín has a longer "ee" sound.

• Locked thread