Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theseus
Jan 15, 2008

All I know is if there is a God, he's laughin' his ass off.
Sorry in advance for using this as a travel thread, but everything so far as been super-helpful so I am hoping to get some input on a couple of areas I am still trying to figure out.

I am tentatively planning a trip to Iceland for this year. Any input on this is much appreciated. My timeframe is anywhere from 14-25 days (I was thinking 20ish), probably in the late summer provided my schedule doesn't fall through, and I'd like to spend under $10k USD (under $6k would be ideal), not counting airfare. I know Iceland is considered an expensive destination expensive - is this a feasible budgeting? I have no objection to staying in hostels and am a fairly young guy.

I was eyeballing this 16-day itinerary. Is this remotely sane? I don't really have a lot of context for how packed this itinerary is. Assuming that I had two to four weeks in Iceland, is there anything that is an absolute must see? I am basically totally flexible as I'm traveling solo. I sort of feel like I should leave some additional time for spending in the cities, but I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do in the cities (see aforementioned solo travel).

I've also noticed that apparently all the rental companies will happily give you enough rope to hang yourself with. For something like circumnavigating the country following the road (at least, via the above itinerary), what kind of cars are reasonable options? Prices (assuming I am reading them correctly) seem a little high for car rental (anywhere between $100-$300/day), but I don't want to accidentally screw myself by shooting too low. Thoughts?

Theseus fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theseus
Jan 15, 2008

All I know is if there is a God, he's laughin' his ass off.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Dude, I am as ever pretty hesitant to advise people with traveling because I've never travelled Iceland as a tourist, but I'll try my best.

6K is pretty drat hopeful, as you should probs check what the hostels and whatnot cost. Food can add up but your biggest costs will be those, if you order now you may get that poo poo cheap but late summer is peak season, sooo. You can maybe find them cheap, but you wouldn't last long for that money at the hotel I worked at for that money. That itinerary is pretty good, and if you had 4 days extra you could spend 3 of them in the Reykjavík area and one in Akureyri, doing whatevs.

As for what to do, what do you like? Art? History? Drinking? Theatre, games, shopping, tanning? There's plenty options and I can talk about a lot of them, but I'd like to get a grasp of what you want outta the trip.

And you can drive the ring road on a normal car, pretty much. We've driven it with an old Ford Focus, so you probs don't need a big rear end loving jeep.

Well, it turns out that I'm going to have to push this trip to next year. Which means I can be more open about travel season, if there is a better time to go than late summer. It sounds like 20 days is the right timeframe.

Is 10K more reasonable? I don't have a great estimate as to budget on this sucker. I would expect airfare would be roughly 1.2k, car rental for the period probably around 3-5k (+ a couple hundred for gas, I would expect). I am completely down with hostels and had not planned to stay in a proper hotel. Prices I was seeing for those were between $30-50/night, which seems quite affordable. I would expect that with 16 days of driving around the country, I would often be in places totally lacking in hotels anyway (?).

In terms of what I am interested in - I'm quite fond of theatre, symphonies, and to a lesser degree history. I also like to hike, though my guess is that after 16 days of seeing the countryside I will want to save a long hike for another trip. Drinking is good, but I will be traveling solo so I'm a bit wary. My primary plan was to see as much of the country/landscape/nature as possible on the trip. I'm pretty open to suggestions; essentially everything you mentioned save tanning are things that I could be into a bit of. The Ford Focus thing is extremely reassuring; the cars that are along the lines of a Toyota Corolla are around 3.2k for the 20/21 day period I was eyeballing, which would be towards the low end of my expectation on car rental.

• Locked thread