Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Most of the other places I been for long enough to compare with have been podunk places anyhow, like the S-German countryside or Norway. And Norway don't even got KFC outside they capital!

Podunk, maybe. But slightly less barren than this:

Or this:

The first image is from somewhere around Mývatn if I remember correctly. The second image is, of course, Heimaey. What a cool little island.

The view towards the town is a little better:

I visited Iceland in the summer of 2011, had fun driving all the way around.

NFX fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'll take that as an invitation! We had a really nice trip. Except for a few days with overcast weather, it was sunny and almost 20 degrees celsius (68 F) the entire time!

Of course, on the morning we arrived the volcano Katla had decided to wash out the road, so we had to take a small detour:

A volcanic lake, again near mývatn:

"Pylsukofinn" basically means sausage coffin:

Gullfoss was kinda crowded:

Like I previously hinted, a lot of Iceland is really flat:

I can't actually remember what this place was called, but we were told to check it out. It was pretty:

Hey it's another picture of that church named after the guy who was kidnapped by Ottoman pirates:

And then I ran out of batteries for my camera and forgot to charge them again.

NFX fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 17, 2014

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most of the images I posted that look really bare were taken far inland. I imagine erosion is less of a problem there. All around the coast there is a lot of cultivated land (fields), and even most of the uncultivated land i saw was grass/moss, so there's at least something keeping it together.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Punc posted:

So, a couple of us are planning to rent a camper and drive around Iceland for two weeks. Is camping near the road (or on a parking) in a camper allowed?

They company we're renting from suggested a round trip across the island:
I assume they'll make us take Route 1 for the most of it:

Day 1: Arrival+ Blue Lagoon
Day 2: Thingvellir NP - Geysir - Gullfoss
Day 3: Hekla Vulcono
Day 4: Seljaland - Skogafoss
Day 5: Skaftafell - Svartifoss - Jökullsárlón
Day 6: Egilsstadir
Day 7: Hengifoss - Dettifoss - Ásbyrgi NP
Day 8: Tjörnes - Húsavik - Mývatn NP
Day 9: Mývatn
Day 10: Akureyri
Day 11: Öxnadal - Húnafjördur
Day 12: Stykkishólmur
Day 13: Snaefellsnes
Day 14: Rookdal - wales - Reykjavik
Day 15: Return

It's mostly nature stuff (since we like nature stuff), but are we missing any essential Iceland to do things by sticking to this route, or would you add/remove something from the list that you think is better/poo poo?
Since we only have 14 days, we want to make sure to do the cool stuff :)

We did almost the same route in July 2011. We arrived in the airport and rented our car around 9 am. The people at the rental company asked if we'd heard what had happend. This had happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Rfw6gF1J8

Katla had a little burp which released a lot of melt water and completely washed out Route 1 west of Vík. We were adviced (and allowed!) to take the route north of Katla instead, much like the route on your map as far as I can tell. Route 26, F26, F208. We had already planned out a route and booked rooms in hostels, so we had to be at the first hostel by evening. I want to say it was in Vagnsstaðir, but that seems quite far now. Along route 1 it's 400 km and probably a 5-6 hour drive. Along the back roads it took 12.

This image was from somewhere on F26 or F208:

NFX posted:

Of course, on the morning we arrived the volcano Katla had decided to wash out the road, so we had to take a small detour:

The first time we came to a fording point, we were kinda worried and seriously considered turning back. However, from the other side a native Icelander appeared in his Skoda Octavia and without missing a beat drove right through the water and asked if we needed help. We made it through after than, and the next 10 or so crossings :)

We more or less rushed past East Iceland, visited a few places around the Mývatn area, and looped around, spending the last 5 days (out of 12) exploring the south west area, including Thingvellir, a day trip to Heimaey (leave the car on Iceland), and the next-to-last day in Reykjavík.

It was a nice trip, and it was interesting to see the different parts of Iceland, but all that driving was pretty tiring, and I have no doubt that we could have spent all 12 days staying in just one area and exploring from there.

NFX fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 22, 2014

• Locked thread