Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
Being originally from Newfoundland - another cold, sparsely populated island in the North Atlantic - Iceland is really, really fascinating to me. In the past, especially before 2008, it was held up as a model for economic development for Newfoundland. There are obvious differences (sovereignty) between the two. But, I'm interested in what you think might be responsible for the impressive level of economic development and diversity in Iceland given the paucity of natural resources. I mean, if you imagine any given city of 300,000 people in North America it wouldn't likely be as productive as Iceland. I don't think so, at least. Is just effective governance or cultural or what?

I'm also interested in the fishing industry in Iceland given that, as far as I know, you mostly fish for Atlantic cod. Is that still true? North Atlantic cod stocks collapsed off Newfoundland to truly disastrous effect in the early 90s - due to colassal mismanagement and climate change. Do you think there's a danger of overfishing in Iceland? How is the fishery managed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread