Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Most of what I know about Iceland, I learned from reading "Journey to the Center of the Earth". Sollevertu!

Does Iceland assign a special significance to Snaeffeljokull or acknowledge the fact that it was the starting point of the journey to the center of the earth?

I have always wondered if you guys imported all your crops from abroad. I imagine farming would be difficult to do in its climate. What about beef? To generalize the question, are there any foods that are difficult/expensive to find?

What advice would you give to a potential visitor from the tropics? I would like to visit someday as it seems a very chill country. On that regard...how does your country view drugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Cessna posted:

I've never received any grief for it - not one bit. I suspect that this is because:

1. I live in Colorado, not the Bible Belt. Colorado is pretty open to this sort of thing. One of the ski towns even has an Ullr Festival; admittedly the whole thing is an excuse to get drunk and fall off skis, but it's still nice to see anyway.
2. I'm a pretty private person. I wear a Mjollnir, but it is under my shirt/tie at work. Co-workers who wear Crosses or the like do the same.
3. I have a job and wife and all that; I'm not a teenager.
4. No one knows what it is anyway.

When it does come up, which is rare, the reaction is generally affable cluelessness. "You do what? Huh, I didn't know anyone did that."

It's nice to know there's a place where people not only know what it but are positive towards it.

I'm an atheist but I like that polytheist religions are still around. Hindus were lucky that it wasn't the Spanish who colonized their country. While the English were imperialists I get the impression that they were indifferent to the native population professing a different creed. What is it with Catholics and imposing their faith on other people? Didn't they try converting the Japanese and caused the Shimabara rebellion?

Wish there was a Greek pantheon religion as I'm a big fan of the whole mythology.

TerryLennox fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 20, 2013

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

Didn't you guys have trees a few centuries ago? That all looks very erosion prone, have universities or anyone ever seriously attempted to restore native green ecology to the unpopulated areas of the island?

Seconding this question, I've heard Iceland is VERY windy, enough that planting trees is very difficult.

• Locked thread