Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

We were our own complex little society until we were vassalized under, Harold the Fair-Haired if I remember right, and after that we were mostly just quiet.

That is impressively far off the mark given that he lived more than 300 years previously. The king in 1262 was Håkon Håkonson (Hákon gamli Hákonarson).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Honestly, there's only those two that matter a tiny bit in Icelandic history and I confuse them.

So Håkon's immediate successor Magnus Lagabøte doesn't matter even a tiny bit, even though he reformed the legal system?

https://is.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magn%C3%BAs_lagab%C3%A6tir
https://is.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A1rns%C3%AD%C3%B0a
https://is.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B3nsb%C3%B3k

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

None domestic; there's a few campaigns or were at least, I remember the old "Meet us, don't eat us!" one from the IWF and there was one foreign woman who appealed to the Icelandic people in the most mangled Icelandic I ever heard that we shouldn't hunt whales (Which holy gently caress lady, that was condescending and so dumb I still remember it years later).

Funny how things change. Right outside my hometown there used to be a processing station active between 1948 and 1971. It was apparently the most visited tourist attraction back then, with people coming by the bus load to watch the carcassed be cut up.

Circa 1968: Swedish pop singer Lill-Babs wielding a flensing knife.

I remember back in the 90s my mother got a form letter from some random people in the Netherlands protesting our whaling. It was apparently part of a Greenpeace campaign where ill-informed do-gooders sent a pre-made letter to random people in a foreign country whose address they got from some mailing list. Needless to say, it was completely ineffectual. As I remember it, there was a lot of fuss coming from abroad for a while, but that died down and whaling continues.

Then again, there was the recent incident in Berlin; German customs agents confiscated whale meat due to it being illegal to sell in the EU, even though it had cleared customs earlier:
http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/gruene-woche-berlin-zoll-beschlagnahmt-illegales-walfleisch-a-945130.html

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

poopinmymouth posted:

We've also made a virtual fitness trainer available in iOS, Android, and Windows 8 if you search for "Vfit".

This one? I guess it being made by gays explains the appearance of the trainer character.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Paganchat reminded me of this: British Odinist fired for using "multicultural prayer room", gets told that his faith is "not real", but is vindicated in court. I wonder how declaring yourself a follower of the Æsir would be received in those unenlightened countries where most people assume that people have to belong to an Abrahamic faith system. I know that in Greece, pagans dedicating themselves to the Olympian gods tend to be discriminated against in a society where the Orthodox church has disproportionate influence.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

dor1 posted:

9. Very high. I've worked with foreigners who have lived in Iceland for >10 yrs and barely speak a word of icelandic.

Really? From which countries? In your experience, are there certain categories of foreigners that are more willing to learn the local language than others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Let me guess: the absence of large predators meant that cats were the most threatening animals they could think of?

• Locked thread