Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Radio posted:

Ok, so it's to balance out the vowel? Or is just a strange spelling rule?

Double consonants are generally an indicator of vowel length, i.e. the preceding vowel is shorter and often accompanied by a pre-aspirated stop. Thus: maki (spouse) is pronounced ma:ki, with a long vowel, whereas makki (horse's mane) is pronounced mahki, the h representing the pre-aspirated stop. The Wikipedia page on Icelandic orthography probably explains this better than I do under "Function of symbols."

Note also that i and í are considered different letters, so the difference between þinn and þín is not only vowel length but also vowel sounds (i as the i in mist, í as the ee in meet).

I hope this makes sense, I'm obviously not a linguist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Radio posted:

Awhile ago, but thanks.

However, now I'm confused again. I'm trying to differentiate between the sounds of the male and female versions of "chubby" þybbinn vs. þybbin, and the only difference I can hear is that the "n" is held slightly longer when doubled. Is this a good way to think about it? Also, it sounds like there's a pause between the "b"s resulting in both letters being pronounced- eg. þyb-bin vs þybin (very similar to how Turkish and Japanese treat double consonants, at least in my mind), yeah?

Words ending in -in and -inn sound very similar in most instances, at least to my ear. In my experience many foreign speakers have a tendency to make the i-sound too long and/or the n-sound too soft when they pronounce words ending in -inn, so I suppose that's something to watch out for.

As for the double b, I suppose it can sound like that when said slowly. It's still essentially a stop, but I don't think there's any problem with treating it as þyb-bin in your mind as long as it gets you where you're going, so to speak. So I'd say that works for words with a double b, but I don't think you can apply it to any other double consonant, I'm trying it out in my head right now and the results are... weird.

• Locked thread