Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
So I've heard that a lot of the traditional Icelandic dishes aren't that appetizing and in many cases based around trying to make what food is around last the longest, which you kind of alluded to. As a result now that other ingredients and cooking styles are readily available traditional Icelandic cuisine is pretty much dead. Is that really the case or are the dishes actually tasty despite their slightly weird nature? It always seemed strange to me because I really like sampling food from other cultures and the getting to know the histories of each dish and outside of what I've been told about Iceland I've never encountered a culture that was willing to give up its cuisine in that way. Stuff like easy and cheap or high profile foreign food will displace native cuisine, but not just the quality of the food.

On a completely different note, is Iceland very involved, or looking to be very involved in the rush to claim previously international areas that are now free of polar ice? If so is it just about the resources or is there a nationalist bent to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
So I'm not sure if you'll have an answer to this one as it's a bit technical, but how extensive is your fishing industry? Is it just catching the fish or is most of the processing done in Iceland as well? I ask because here in California we have pretty ample fishing, but our canning industry in almost completely gone. It's cheaper to ship the fish caught off our cost to Chinese processors and have it shipped back because the cost of fuel doesn't outweigh the cheaper labor. You only make a few extra cents per ton, but in a year that's millions of dollars for the industry. You've been talking about the free trade agreement with China and I was wondering if the fishing industry happened to be included in any major way in that agreement. The insane way our planet, especially the United States, consumes sea food has always fascinated me.

• Locked thread