Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Gambrinus posted:

I'm flying in from New York on 4th September and planning on staying for a week or so before going to the Faeroe islands. What should I do in Iceland for a week? I could do with a break from pubs and that. I don't speak a word of the language either, is this something I can get away with, or should

Not to steal DP's thunder, but if you have any questions about the Faroe Islands, feel free to ask. I don't know if there are any others around, so I'll happily take the mantle of resident Faroese goon.

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Shy posted:

How close are Faroese and Icelandic? Do you understand each other?

Our languages are quite close, and anyone from the Faroes who isn't illiterate should be able to read Icelandic with only minor difficulties. However, when it comes to the spoken Icelandic, it gets rather embarrassing. We should be able to understand the Icelanders, but usually we just end up speaking English. Us Faroe Islanders like to excuse our lack of understanding, with that Icelanders speak too fast and slur their speech, but the blame lies squarely on our educational system. According to the national curriculum, we are supposed to learn Icelandic alongside Faroese, but this just doesn't happen. I'm one of the few people who actually had those mythical classes, and that was one lesson back in 4th grade. So in short: We should understand each other, but unfortunately, we usually don't.

On the other hand, if your question was more metaphorical, and you want to know if our countries are close and we understand each other; we do admire our cousins to the north, and not just because of their reputation for being so devilishly handsome. They seem to have a knack for picking themselves up after loving up royally (*cough*Icesave*cough*), and even when everything seems hopeless, they maintain this air of determined optimism - it's hard not to like someone like that. Also, anyone who gives the Danish government the metaphorical finger is automatically absolved of any sin. This is not to say, that we entirely understand how or why they do things. We like to keep up to date with current events in Iceland, and everyone here was just waiting for the Icelandic economy to crash prior to the Icesave disaster.

Still, we cheer when things go well in Iceland, and try to help however we can when things don't go well.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

dxt posted:

Is Tyr really well known in the Faroes?

Yes, very much so. Most people will be able to sing along with "Ormurin Langi", their first hit, and I doubt there is a single person here, who can't name at least two or three tracks off the top of their heads. They've also been active since the late 90s, so they've had a long time to embed themselves deep in the national consciousness. With "Ormurin Langi", Tżr pretty much kicked off a revolution in Faroese metal music, and pretty much Faroese music in general. They proved that, while the Faroes have always had a strong musical tradition, Faroese music stood a chance to be successful on the international market. Successful to such a degree, in fact, that Faroese metal bands probably outsell Faroese bands belonging to other genres.

I'm also an utter and complete Tżr fanboy, if you hadn't picked that up already :black101:

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 4, 2013

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

In Iceland, I'm pretty sure you could leave your poo poo unattended on the street for weeks, and it would still be there when you came back for it.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

DP is being very modest, I suspect. For an outsider looking in, Icelandic culture is quite different from continental Europe, even from the rest of the Nordic countries, but this is meant in the best way possible. Whilst I can hardly say I like a lot of Icelandic music or literature, I can certainly appreciate how they try to create something that is unique to Iceland. This is not to say that Icelandic culture is completely alien - it's still readily identifiable as being quite Nordic, but it is unique. As a Faroe Islander, I've always found it to be positive when my compatriots look to our cousins in the north for inspiration, and then create something new and distinctly Faroese.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I'm going to start a business, and export white paint to Iceland - I'm going to make a fortune :allears:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Y'know, that piques my interest - how much of a hassle is Sea Shepard in Iceland? Do you have to deal with them often, like how they come to the Faroes annually? How are they viewed by the Icelandic public? Anger, scorn, bemusement, perhaps even sympathy?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Yeah, we get them every summer, like a bad case of malaria. Heh, they tried to raise a proper stink about whaling last year, but not a single whale was spotted for the entire duration of their stay - and of course, the whales started showing up about one week after SS had left. That got a few chuckles.

Opinion of SS around here can be quite varied. Like in Iceland, the organization is officially considered a terrorist/criminal one, but no one really takes it seriously. Most look upon the rank-and-file members with a kind of sympathetic bemusement, as if they are misguided children with no real idea of what they're doing. They're a pretty harmless bunch, who walk around chanting dumb slogans in painfully bad Faroese, occasionally running away from the natives in a fit of paranoia. Paul Watson, however, is pretty much universally hated for being, well, Paul Watson.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Nah, the rest of the world's conservation community doesn't really give a drat about Faroese whaling, because they aren't complete morons, and realize that pilot whales aren't remotely endangered, and that the (wildly fluctuating) numbers we catch every year don't even begin to make a dent into the overall population. Still, nearly all conservation organizations are viewed with at least some hostility; some because they get conflated with Sea Shepard, others because of how their anti-seal message screws over Greenland.

e:

That is, they don't give a drat in the sense that they have no presence here, and we basically never hear anything anti-Faroes from them.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

For instance, that should be 'svariš'...

:eng101: (or :far101:, as the case may be) That would actually have been acceptable in Faroese, if he was adding some ironic distance to a non-serious answer. The more you know, etc.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

My experiences with and as a foreigner is to go for it - try to learn the language. Whilst the language itself is, like DP said, of little use outside of Iceland (and the Faroes), merely studying will go a long way in getting accepted by the community. People, or at least us northerners, act very differently towards a foreigner who doesn't speak the local language vs. one who tries, even if the results are poor. It shows that not only are you willing to learn, and to put in the effort to learn our small and frankly insignificant languages, but that you respect our culture. It's really flattering :)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

So, DP, what's your opinion on Egils Gull? :v:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

ookuwagata posted:

The most unpleasant thing from Iceland I've had I've only tried yesterday (and it's technically it's really from Finland), Tyrkisk Peber, which I brought back. It's bitter, salty, sour and chemical. I am skeptical of the nutrition facts which make the claim that sugar is the main ingredient. It's like Indian mango pickle, except if you removed all the (sparse) redeeming qualities of it, replaced it with a poo poo-ton of anise and at the very end it burns like bathroom cleaner on your tongue.

ookuwagata posted:

The most unpleasant thing from Iceland I've had I've only tried yesterday (and it's technically it's really from Finland), Tyrkisk Peber, which I brought back. It's bitter, salty, sour and chemical and at the very end it burns like bathroom cleaner on your tongue.

ookuwagata posted:

The most unpleasant thing from Iceland I've had I've only tried yesterday (and it's technically it's really from Finland), Tyrkisk Peber.

ookuwagata posted:

The most unpleasant thing, Tyrkisk Peber.

YOU SHUT YOUR LYING, HEATHEN MOUTH THIS INSTANT! Tyrkisk Peber candies are the fallen tears of angel kittens, and saying otherwise is a drat dirty lie! Are you a liar, ookuwagata? Do you want the terrorists to win?! Are you a communist?!?!

e:

Ahem... What I mean to say is that we take our salmiak liquorice very seriously.

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 25, 2014

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Carbon Thief posted:

Are the prices on that site similar to in-store prices in Iceland? Because I like aquavit and would love to try Icelandic ones, but this one is listed at USD $208 for a 500mL bottle. :psyduck:

Well, if I'm understanding that page right, it's not one bottle you're buying, but a case of 12. A 500mL bottle like that would cost around 200 DKK (around 35 USD) if I were to buy it in the local monopoly. International freight and export tax might add a bit more, so let's say it would cost 50 USD to post a bottle of Haviš to an arbitrary place in the world. 208 USD is pretty reasonable for a case of 12 bottles, IMO. I'd also say that Haviš is worth the asking price. I hate aquavit in general, having grown up with the Danish Aalborg Akvavit, yet I find Haviš to be eminently drinkable, particularly if you stick it in the freezer so it's nice and frosty.w

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Brennivķn should be drunk neat, preferably from a shot glass. Freezing it like you have is generally a very good idea, because aquavits have a ridiculously potent "taste". Depending on your courage, you might want to either start slow to get used to the taste, or to jump right in to get the "unique" taste over with.

I'm not personally familiar with Lava, but it's one of these kinds of bitter - think Jägermeister - and the same rules apply.

Have fun! :)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Accretionist posted:

fascinating stuff

Considering Iceland's substantial, if stagnating, Atlantic fish resources, and abundant fjords suitable for aquaculture, I doubt there is much need for aquaponics. Now, I might be talking out of my rear end here, but aquaponics also look like very high maintenance facilities compared to the relatively simple aquaculture facilities, which are usually just nets attached flotation devices. This kind of stuff is fascinating though, and makes me kinda regret going into humanities/teaching instead of engineering for fish-related purposes.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I'm slightly disappointed that the neo-norse (nżįsatrś?) don't practice the blood-sacrifice of livestock. It's probably the redneck farmer in me, but I think people are losing their connection to earth and nature, and it would behoove us to see that our current lives owe just as much to the animals we keep for food and clothing, as we do to intellectual and cultural accomplishments; IMO, offering an animal to the gods would reinforce that, as well as remind folks that faith is not a frivolous subject to be chosen or discarded at a whim. I might not believe in the old gods, but they are a part of my cultural DNA, and I respect them greatly.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

There's nothing really stopping you from doing that, in fact I knew a guy that did that. He was a bit of a, well, gently caress-up though. Viking re-enactor with a suspended drivers license who drank to much and took the faith a bit too seriously on the "battle" part and not enough on the "don't be a dick part". Ends up married to a yank and moving to Arizona or some such place to be a security guard before he disconnects from facebook.
Iceland is small enough folks might even recognize him from that description, hah!

But you can do sacrifices if you want. I might, though I'd want someone to eat it later.

Ugh, at least he had the sense to exile himself to the US. But yeah, eating the animal (and preferably using the hide as well) is totally implicit to the whole "respect the animal that clothes and feeds you" kinda thing. Just killing some animal, and then discarding it is wasteful and cruel. As I said, I don't believe in the gods, so it's not as if this will ever be an issue for me. My attitude probably comes from growing up in the sticks, and taking part in killing and preparing sheep for consumption - it annoys the hell out of me to see some city-dwelling fool "embracing their pagan roots", and "living with nature" from the comforts of their rented flat, and then start crying and/or fainting when they get confronted with the process of how their dinner came to be on their plate.

Then again, I originate from "The Congo" of Iceland.

This you gotta elaborate on! :D

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Speaking of pronunciation, is the double-l always pronounced "dl", or are there exceptions, like in Faroese? For example, we have "bolli", which can mean either bun [bɔl'lɛ], or bowl [bɔdli]

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

As much as I love to dislike Denmark and Danish, having to speak English to our cousins in the north is, by far, much much worse. Danish might be a horrible language that sounds like a drowning frog, but at least it's one of the Nordic languages. It's really sad, IMO :(

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I can confirm number 1 - MS Norröna sails from Hirtshals, Denmark, via the Faroes, and arrives in Seyšisfjųršur. The stop in the Faroes can be a few days, depending on when you leave Denmark. Prices are Scandinavian, ie expensive as gently caress, so pack some food for the trip if you're travelling on a budget. There is a reasonably priced cantina on the ferry, but the food there sucks., so don't go there. If you're not on a budget, visit the restaurants. One's a la carte, the other's a buffet - both are great.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Don't forget the two yes...es? Jį & jś :)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Icelanders are known as "Yesers" in the neighboring Faroe Islands because of how much we say "jį".

Yeah, I don't think anyone actually refers to you guys as Icelanders here anymore, it's just "jįarar" :) You guys do have this strange obsession with starting almost every sentence with "Jį jį, ..."

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Not an Icelander, but judging by the ferry itself, and experience with similar, local waters, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The Vestmannaeyjar page only talks about the summer season, but this Eimskip page has a full breakdown of how the ferry sails.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

"Ey-ja-fjall-a-jų-kull"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I travelled between Denmark - Faroe Islands on my passport, until the day came where I had forgotten it at home. That's when another nice SAS lady told me that my cruddy, printed-on-cardboard-then-laminated university student "ID" card was more than enough. I've been using that one for years now, and no one has ever batted an eyelid; and these are international flights, with all the security measures those imply. Guess I should stop taking that poo poo for granted, then, and dig out my passport again. So, uh, thanks for taking one for the team, Demiurge4 :shobon:

• Locked thread