Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

stab posted:

Did your country give the men's national soccer team a hero's welcome for their near qualification for the World Cup? To get that far for a country your size is astounding....

My country has 35 million and we can even get to the final stages :sigh:

Another Icelandic goon reporting in.

The World Cup qual was absolutely the hugest sporting even we've participated in since the 2008 olympics handball team coming in second. Although i live in sweden now i can confidently say that everyone and their kviđmágur was watching Iceland - Croatia. Except for the obvious group of people united by their disdain for football.
Don't know about the hero's welcome but I think they were celebrated allright. Didn't get the falcon's medal like the handball team tho.

If DP doesn't mind i'd be more than happy to chime in and answer a few questions here and there even if me and him seem to have amazingly different views.

Also Kviđmágur is a word for someone who has slept with the same person as you. We really are that few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

tentish klown posted:

Iceland booze talk.
My brother went to Iceland a while ago and brought back some treats.
Firstly - Brennevin.

How should I drink this? It's been sitting in my freezer for about 6 months because I don't really know what to do with it... it's so green!

If you find the taste overwhelming or dislike it then you can always try the classic 'Karlakók' or 'Big boy coke' and just mix it with cola.
It's not good at all but teens drink it and it's better than neat if you don't like the taste.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
I know you said OP but i hope you don't mind me answering these

kuddles posted:

A few quick questions to the OP based on my visit:

- Does the country view tourism as one of their prime industries? We noticed when we were there that there were as many tourists anywhere we went as legitimate Icelanders. There were also a lot of people who were from other countries looking for work, from our horseback riding instructor (Germany), the museum curator on the Westman Islands (Canada), to our servers (Latvia). I'm guessing the tourism is so impressive is scope that they need this outside help. How do residents feel about this constant barrage of tourists, and how so much is catered towards them (especially stores and restaurants)?

Tourism is huge. It's absolutely one of the prime industries. It brings in lots of valuable currency and that's good. You'd think that we the locals would get fed up with all the tourists everywhere but they really tend to stay in the tourist spots. Downtown Reykjavík and on busses. It doesn't really matter though because the only thing an Icelandic person loves more than his country is when a tourist does it.
In general Icelanders just LOVE to ask tourists the classic "How do you like Iceland" and then listen to them blabber on about the "Beautiful nature, friendly people, strange food, disgusting fermented shark etc. etc." I don't really know why but we just do.

kuddles posted:

- On that note, what is it with the hamburgers? Everywhere we went, hamburgers were quite common. While we mostly stuck to lamb and fish (obviously), we did partake in a few burgers and they were all pretty good too. Is this something Icelanders are really into, or is this an attempt to cater to all the North American tourists coming in? It just struck us as odd, especially since there were a billion sheep everywhere you went, but I rarely saw a cow.

I don't think it's an attempt to cater to the USA visitors more than an attempt to cater to the fat locals. We are fat. Really fat. And nobody uses public transportation.
We love lamb meat though. There's sheep everywhere and we loving love our special tasting delicious lamb meat. It's more of a special occasion thing though, to eat lamb. Almost everyone has some kind of tradition where on sundays the family gets together and devours a leg of lamb or two.

kuddles posted:

- Do you have any clue how often you hear of tourist injuries occurring? I mean more at the landmarks, I already assume getting dumb tourists out of trouble because their car is in some ditch or stuck in some river somewhere happens quite often. While we really enjoyed how untouched a lot of the natural sites were compared to how much of a tacky spectacle other countries made them, it's really quite daunting to a coddled Canadian like myself when at best you have a sign saying "Try not to die" and a small string fence in between yourself and a super rocky gorge or scalding hot water. There was more than once instance that made me extremely thankful I was wearing my hiking boots.

kuddles posted:

I'm not a big beer drinker, but I thought the Einstok stuff was pretty damned good, particularly the Toasted Porter.
Agreed. Einstök makes some good rear end beer.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
I love this country! :iceland:

• Locked thread