Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
From what i understand, Iceland was the first nation to every elect a female president. However. I've heard that in Iceland the president is nothing but a figurehead. Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Doktor Per posted:

Vigdís Finnbogadóttir agonized over having to sign a law prohibiting stewardesses to strike, she had been one before becoming president.

She didn't veto such a bill!?!?!?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Doktor Per posted:

Nope :( I find it to be the the darkest moment of her presidency, which was otherwise only positive.

So she had virtually no power at all?

The celebration of being "the first woman president" was moot?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So apparently the pirate party is going to do really well during the next elections. From taking a glance at them, they seem like a New Age Left Wing party of sort.

What's the run down with this group? Are they any good?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How is the left wing in Iceland anyway? IIRC they gained a lot of strength after the recession?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

As an American I am VERY jealous of your political parties.

How is the nationalization process going?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'll leave this here.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jacobin article about Iceland. It seems that Iceland has potential to lead the charge with alternative politics.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I wrote a long fb post about how that article is kinda bad when it first came out

That's what happens when pirates analyze politics I suppose. Just the fundamental point of the article, that neoliberalism has at all died here, is wrong on so many levels it hurts. There's always been a problem in Iceland that people live in bubbles but holy smokes, that guy

And the situation has only developed into a greater clusterfuck since.

So neoliberalism isn't at a decline? Is there any sort of alternative rising within the country?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So Iceland isn't becoming more left wing?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

No, last election brought in what is arguably the most right-wing government we've ever had!

We have actual libertarians in the halls of power now, not just dumb neoliberals

Including at least one in the opposition

:O

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What is this I hear about Iceland practicing anarchy in the old days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Anarchy in that they they didn't have any form of police or centralized state. There were plenty of laws and the althing, the parliament, even had a official called the Lawspeaker whose job it was to be chairman and remember all the laws and recite them to the assembly because there wasn't any writing beyond basic runic inscriptions so all oft the law was passed down orally. The lawspeaker obviously had to be an expert and a lawyer of sorts which could be consulted if there were any doubts or complications.

Things basically worked like this:

This doesn't sound like anarchy to me. Libertarians lied to me!

• Locked thread