Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I've accepted an apprenticeship and will be moving to the Reykjansbær area sometime soon. What's my best bet on integrating properly? I was there a few months ago as an intern and my colleagues are great people, but it seems a bit short on entertainment options since it's a fair bit off from Reykjavik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Arright, first, if you haven't joined this group, do so. Secondly, I'm just gonna assume you're a nerd 'cause you're on SA and I'm big on generalizations and suggest you try and find a boardgame/roleplaying group in the area. Get some gaming buddies maybe, dudes speak a lot of English. There's more chances for this in Reykjavík, but the bus isn't that frequent so it's an option but one that comes with the caveat that stuff earlier in the day works better for you, unless you're staying the night.

If you don't drink, please start doing so. Icelanders are at their most approachable when drinking. They're also at their most violent but you know, thems the breaks.

Otherwise, I don't really know. Reykjanesbær is pretty far off from my turf, so I'm not familiar with what to do around there. Keflavík has some more stuff too I suppose?

Or hang around their KFC and loudly mention you, too, are American and hope someone will also love you as much as they love delicious fried chicken.

Thanks, I appreciate it. When I was there on the internship I got invited to some boardgame sessions and it was nice, my colleagues are very welcoming and open people :)

Gotta say though that most of the stuff being posted in that Facebook group looks like lovely drama.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've had my housing arranged for me but I'm gonna be paying 90k for the top floor of a house. That's not in Reykjavik though, it's near Keflavik but it seems reasonable enough to me because it's actually relatively large.

I fly out on Tuesday, I'm super excited about it but it's gonna be a busy few months before I get settled in. I think the thing I'm most nervous about is how well I'll mesh in socially.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

When you settle down, you can mebbe hit me up. I have my hands hella full now and work is a bit tense, but I'll see how it goes.

Cool. I'm working long shifts for the forseeable future but I'll probably be settled in late August.

My fears were unfounded because everyone at work has been super good about including me in social gatherings. I'm staying in a guest room with one of them until I get my apartment on the 1st of August. I'd still like to branch out and get some contacts outside of work but until poo poo cools down in Grindavik (there's a mad rush for renovations from all the fishing industries right now) I won't have the time. Iceland is pretty cool so far.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Grindavik is kind of a shithole. Nothing to do but hit the gym and go swimming and I don't have Internet yet. We're going bowling with the company on Friday though so here's hoping the bar scene is ok.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The issue has been getting my "kennetalla" or however it's spelt. I got it today though so I'll be ordering later today. Bandwidth caps suck but someone told me there's one service without caps but limited to 15/15mb which isn't too bad honestly. It'll handle Netflix just fine.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

No there's a swimming pool with a gym attached a little bit behind netto inside grindavik. Everyone has told me the blue lagoon is overpriced trash so I haven't gone yet.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fastfood restaurant decor in Iceland weird me the hell out. They all look like really fancy places (by danish standards) but then they serve pizza and not much else. Papas pizza in grindavik has a really nice log wood decor that reminds me of old fashioned British bars for example.

Now I'm out bowling with my coworkers and the restaurant here is super fancy but their menu card is an oversized white postcard with nothing but pizza and an onion rings appetiser.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Police aren't really present from what I've seen anyway so even if you camp "illegally" you probably won't get caught, and if there was no outward sign it was private land they'll probably let you off with a warning. If you pass through Grindavik I have a spare room you can shack up in overnight if you'd like and I can show you around a little bit if I have the time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really enjoyed the Golden Circle when I went around it with my dad so definitely check it out. I still haven't gone to the Blue Lagoon though because when I ask anyone the reaction always ranges from "it's okay" to "it's a lovely tourist trap" so, :effort:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I just want to talk about how utterly hosed up bank loans and especially mortgage loans are in Iceland. I just rent, but colleagues I have owe way more on their houses than they did 10 years ago because loans adjust up for inflation, that's kinda hosed up. I haven't met a happy home owner yet.

Can someone give me a comprehensive overview on it? I assume it's because the money has to come from abroad and so they have crazy requirements for security but drat, it's straight up usury.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm flying back to Iceland on Monday after having been home in Denmark for classes, it feels weird. I really like the place and I'm lucky enough to have some great colleagues where I apprentice but since I'm also an antisocial goon it's also a bit isolating. Hopefully living in Keflavik instead of Grindavik (I like Grindavik but it's really tiny) will help on that front. I have to decide if I want to sign on for another year so here's hoping everything works out great :)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

KFC is trash but since we're on the subject of food, is there a good place to get spices in decent amounts in Keflavik? Any ethnic shops besides the Polish ones? (they do have good sausages)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What's a good brand of maple syrup sold in Iceland? I picked up a bottle of Canada's Best 100% (over a 30% version on the same shelf) and it's watered down piss.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Any chance elections will get called? I imagine the right wants to avoid it because they'll get slaughtered?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Where can I get Irn Bru?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I dislike 'traditions' like that because the President should be able to exercise his constitutional powers without being shamed for it. It's as if they want to treat him like any other Scandinavian royalty where the President's position and power is purely cosmetic, but that's not really how a Republic works.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Booze is expensive yeah. Cafe Petite in Keflavik is probably the cheapest beer place in town but they close at 11. Then we usually move to Paddy's but the night stuff in Kef is pretty bad overall, or I'm just getting old.

I usually just go for a case of beer at the booze shop. It's still pricey but the best bang for your buck.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How are these right wing votes distributed? Every person I've talked to outside of Reykjavik hates them. Heck I've even met a bunch of people who think iceland would be better off back under Denmark.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm looking for a small apartment in the Keflavik area but everything is so drat expensive. 160k for anything remotely decent it seems.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I get why people are switching. My current landlord is extraordinarily generous (110k for a 2 bedroom apartment) but I'm just staying in a room and my workmate who actually has the rental is moving by the end of the year and I'm not sure if I can convince my landlord to let me keep it. As I'm an exchange student apprentice I'll probably end up asking my boss to sort some kind of living arrangement in Grindavik.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Well I got my own place now (roommate moving out, I convinced the landlord to let me keep it). Now I just gotta fit 120k into my budget somehow.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm Danish. I clap back about me just visiting the colonies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Just need to fume a bit. My mate has been able to fly Wow Air twice a year with his drivers license between Iceland and Denmark for years and the one time I try it they deny me boarding.

I guess this is what I get for flying cheap.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah an EU drivers license is a valid photo ID which is all you need to travel within the Schengen. The rub is that air companies are free to deny it if they please, but I talked to a nice SAS lady and she says they'll usually take it, though again they can and will deny it if there's anything the attendent feels is 'off'. So I'm getting an emergency passport done in half an hour and flying Iceland Air this time and from now on.

Turns out hardwood floors aren't that bad to sleep on until a guy in a visibility vest tells you to gently caress off.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The copper told me not to bother paying for the emergency passport and ask Iceland Air / SAS to check my drivers license, they said they'll take it :downs:

I got bumped though, apparently a flight cancelled and they wanted my seat for those passengers but they gave me 400 euro's and a free meal for 5 hours inconvenience and that about covers both tickets so hey all I really lost in the end is 20 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tias posted:

Yeah, but in that case he manages to do the very rare thing and avoid border controls. If you're taken in the German side of the border without a passport or driver's licence, it's a 35€ fine. Denmark will even go as far as to bar you entry if they suspect you're not a citizen.

If he's driving then he can just show his license.

• Locked thread