Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
What American writers, if any, are popular in Iceland? Or that you like?

Have you seen the movie "Cold Fever"?

How much of a problem is there with neo-Nazis in Iceland, or others of their ilk?

Can I come to your apartment and hang out drinking until about midnight, and then we could head out to a bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Cool about the neo-nazis being so heavily sidelined, along with racists in general. I've been to Iceland two times and had a loving amazing time each time. I want to create a country that's Iceland on one side and Costa Rica on the other. It would rule. Tropical vikings, man. It'll be where it's at.

A friend of mine was staying at a hotel-- this was eighteen or so years ago-- and thumbing through his Icelandic phrasebook at the front desk every day, trying to ask about taxis and exchange rate and suchlike. The guy would patiently wait for him to ask the question, and then slowly tell him the reply so my friend could figure it out, or he'd just point on a map or give him a phone number.

After a week of this, my friend accidentally spoke to him in English, and the guy responded in perfect English. He had just assumed my friend wanted to practice his Icelandic and let him flounder through it.

And yes, watch Cold Fever. Excellent movie.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's on the list. Not a big movie buff but I'll ask my cousin about it, he's got all the movies, or so it seems sometimes.

It's about a Japanese guy who has to go to Iceland to perform the Shinto rituals for his parents death. He speaks no Icelandic and almost no English. He nearly dies a few times. It's great!

Á Köldum Klaka is the original name of it.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Í enskt "gammeldanks" er eitt frákendur máliđ :eng101:

Yes I know that's not Icelandic and my inflecting is probably off but you should be able to get the gist anyways. :colbert:

Sykur for life.

Thanks, good poo poo, I hadn't heard this before.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
I have kind of a broad question:

I last hung out in Iceland about 20 years ago. What's changed since then, culturally? I'm specifically interested in how social media has affected the reserve of Icelanders, and the drink-until-midnight-in-the-apartment-then-go-out-to-the-club/bar stuff.

• Locked thread