Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyr
Jun 9, 2012

Werewhale posted:

If there's a snap election, we will have had five governments in eleven years... :cripes:

Bold prediction:

• There will be a snap election.

• Pirates will lose seats, not because they did anything wrong but because last year was abnormal and they'll return to a natural equilibrium.

• The Independence Party will lose one seat at most and remain the largest party. Lose some from this scandal, gain some from voters returning from Resurgence, still have their loyal base. EDIT: After the Independence Party's leader's press conference, I think they might lose very little from this scandal and just gain voters returning from Resurgence, ending up with more seats than last election.

• No one will want to work with the Independence Party, so they'll be in the minority despite being largest. Actually, Resurgence/Viðreisn will probably be willing to work with them, but...

• Resurgence/Viðreisn will lose a bunch of seats, reflecting a feeling that they're just off-brand Independence Party anyway.

• Iceland FirstPeople's Party/Flokkur fólksins will get into Alþingi.

• Bright Future will still lose a few seats, but breaking the government will vindicate them to a number of voters who felt like they were acting as xD's lapdogs, so they won't be completely wiped out.
I say this is a bold prediction because I have a very shallow understanding of politics and this is probably completely wrong.

Couple responses to this based on my also admittedly limited knowledge:
  • I would have said that the Pirates would lose seats (maybe even some to VG), but Helgi Hrafn's return to the list could help them at least tread water. I don't have numbers on this, but when they were gaining support I think he was their most popular politician (I certainly like him the most).
  • I think most people think Independence and the Progressives/Framsókn would work together again now that the stink of the last major scandal has worn off. I think it would be difficult for them to form a government like last time, but this would help.
  • I similarly think that crashing the government saved BF from falling out of Alþingi, but it doesn't really make sense to guess that they will lose seats - the way they are divvied out, the difference between 1 seat and 4 in terms of support is so microscopic that you pretty much automatically get a couple seats if you reach the 5% threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread