Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CupcakePrincess
Oct 6, 2012
I'm going to Iceland this summer (late June/early July) with my boyfriend and we're pretty much broke from booking flights and hotels. What can we do and what can we eat in the capital that's really cheap? If it helps, we booked here: Hotel 66, Grensasvegur 14, Reykjavik, 108 Iceland. Please save us from spending 6 nights stuck in the hotel eating instant noodles, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CupcakePrincess
Oct 6, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

really useful stuff

Wow I was not expecting such a long and helpful post - thank you so much! I clicked on the site of the knockoff McDonald's and almost had a heart attack, so the suggestions for cheap food are really useful.

If you were to recommend one day trip, what would it be? We were planning on seeing the Blue Lagoon; are there any other must see sights that are not in the capital that's worth us paying to see?

It's too bad you won't be around - if you ever come to Hong Kong, give us a shout!

CupcakePrincess
Oct 6, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

day trip suggestions

Again - wow thank you so much. The suggestions all sound amazing; I'll be doing more in depth research after exams are over and I'll be sure to bother you some more if I have any questions. Your posts have really made me look forward to my trip!

Bloodnose posted:

Do I know you? You don't have a post history. You should hang out with Hong Kong goons.

Nope, probably not, since I only joined less than a year ago. My boyfriend has been on SA since 2004, and this account is one of the first gifts he got me (romantic). Is there a regional HK thread?

CupcakePrincess
Oct 6, 2012
Will email you in June, thanks : )

There are seven universities in Iceland? HK has ten universities, and our population is 20 times the size of yours.

Have you ever ridden an Icelandic horse? I just watched a video of Icelandic horses tölting (is that grammatically correct?), and it is adorable.

Also, have you ever visited the Icelandic Phallological Museum? For reasons I cannot fathom, my boyfriend really wants to see lots and lots of penises. :eyepop:

CupcakePrincess
Oct 6, 2012
It's me again! We'll be going to iceland in a week, and we'd really like to leave you something from HK, so please check your gmail!

CupcakePrincess
Oct 6, 2012
You should really go back and read what the OP wrote when I asked about what to do in Iceland. I pretty much followed the itinerary he suggested exactly along with a few more local tours, and I had a great time.

You can definitely get away with just speaking English. You do need local currency, and you can only get it in Iceland, so just exchange your money at the airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CupcakePrincess
Oct 6, 2012
I couldn't post pictures because I don't have Platinum, so I had breathstealer do it for me :3:

We also went whale and puffin watching - we saw the fins of maybe 2 dolphins and 1 mink whale for a second, and we didn't get as close as I would have liked to the puffins. :( Overall, it's not really something I would recommend people do, simply because there are so many cooler things you can do in Iceland (as can be seen in the above post).

We cooked a lot in our hotel room, because we couldn't afford going out every meal. It's really crazy how self-sufficient Iceland is - most of the meat is local, and a surprising amount of vegetables is also local and grown in greenhouses. If anyone wants a good and relatively cheap meal, go to Kopar by the sea. Apparently, the owner moved from some other area in Iceland to Reykjavik, and he doesn't know he could get away with charging people more for his food yet!

Iceland is one of the friendliest and safest places I've ever been to. The 24-hour daytime thing probably helped a lot. Everyone should go to Iceland, spend an afternoon in a cafe and play Scrabble with Icelandic alphabet tiles!

• Locked thread