Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Colorred posted:

Are there any Icelandic video games?

Eve is made by an Icelandic company. It has a greater population than Iceland itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Punc posted:

We did have cured shark (never again). Do you guys actually eat that poo poo or is more a "haha dumb tourists will eat cured shark" kind of thing?

Mostly just for tourists, but it's also served on occasions that call for "traditional" food, like žorrablót. "Traditional" meaning "poo poo our poor-as-gently caress ancestors ate because they couldn't afford real food." It's mostly just for old people, in my experience.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Another Icelander here chiming in. On the topic of religion, there are more than 3,000 members registered as Zuists, though as the link mentions, it's openly a protest against a tax that each citizen must pay to their religion(and is not refunded to those not belonging to any religion), so their mission is just to refund taxes paid to them.

Re: The Blue Lagoon. I'm in the "it's okay" camp. That was several years ago, though, and I really only expect the place to get worse as it's marketed as the #1 destination for tourists, and they keep multiplying. Hot springs aren't exactly a rarity in Iceland, you can easily find others, though they'll be less accessible from the capital. If you have the time to travel to the north, Mżvatnssveit has both Myvatn Nature Baths, which is to the Blue Lagoon what your mother's cooking is to McDonald's, and Grjótagjį, a cave filled with warm water. I've visited both and had a much more pleasant experience than in the Blue Lagoon.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
In the Icelandic news follow-up to the expose, the anchorwoman asks historian and author Gušni Th. Jóhannesson to share his opinion and analysis of the revelations. I made a gif of the moment where he, without any words, perfectly encapsulates how I, and probably a lot of other Icelanders, feel about the situation[She's asking him "What do you think stands out from what was revealed in the expose?"]:

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The left wing parties, well. Samfylkingin in still unprepared; they haven't had the new chairman vote and Įrni is still a albatross around their neck, with a lot of propaganda still working against them. VG is as it ever was, while Katrķn is popular, she isn't going to appeal to any voters they didn't have earlier. So Bjarni has to wonder if now might not be the time to strike, while they and the centre parties are being kept out.

Could you elaborate on what's so awful about Įrni? I keep hearing that everybody hates him and he's the reason Samfylkingin is in such poor shape but I can't find any reason why he's so disliked.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
I really ought to respect other people's opinions, but after thinking about it for a bit, I've decided that 40% of Icelanders are plain wrong.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Merry Žorlįksmessa.

I'm lucky in that my parents didn't grow up with the tradition of eating skata on Žorlįksmessa. We had saltfiskur(basically just salt fish) for a while, but switched five years ago to lobster soup(or langoustine soup). It really is the best idea Dad has ever had.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Every time someone opens a bag of haršfiskur I look around wondering whose piss I'm smelling.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
I had a co-worker at a hospital unironically share this awful meme* with me during a quiet hour, before going back to browsing gore sites. That was a pretty big eye-opener for me how alive and well racism is outside my carefully cultivated SJW bubble. Until then I thought it was something only confined to the older generation, like my "not racist but" grandmothers.

*It's pretty telling that when I googled for this picture, the top hit was from /r/forwardsfromhitler

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
If there's a snap election, we will have had five governments in eleven years... :cripes:

Bold prediction:

• There will be a snap election.

• Pirates will lose seats, not because they did anything wrong but because last year was abnormal and they'll return to a natural equilibrium.

• The Independence Party will lose one seat at most and remain the largest party. Lose some from this scandal, gain some from voters returning from Resurgence, still have their loyal base. EDIT: After the Independence Party's leader's press conference, I think they might lose very little from this scandal and just gain voters returning from Resurgence, ending up with more seats than last election.

• No one will want to work with the Independence Party, so they'll be in the minority despite being largest. Actually, Resurgence/Višreisn will probably be willing to work with them, but...

• Resurgence/Višreisn will lose a bunch of seats, reflecting a feeling that they're just off-brand Independence Party anyway.

• Iceland FirstPeople's Party/Flokkur fólksins will get into Alžingi.

• Bright Future will still lose a few seats, but breaking the government will vindicate them to a number of voters who felt like they were acting as xD's lapdogs, so they won't be completely wiped out.
I say this is a bold prediction because I have a very shallow understanding of politics and this is probably completely wrong.

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 15, 2017

• Locked thread