Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
What are the main foreign influences on modern Icelandic culture? Is Icelandic culture similar to other Nordic nations or distinctly different? I've always wondered about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Very interesting, thanks. IMHO being extremely right wing isn't too much of an issue so long as you don't end up with too many extremist groups, and Iceland doesn't have the population to support that, so.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Laughing Zealot posted:

The "City of Fear" was a nickname often used for Reykjavík in the parts where I'm from.

What're the origins behind this name, out of curiosity? Aren't the bigger cities in Iceland the most safe?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Laughing Zealot posted:

A few years back there was an unusually high amount of fights and attacks on people in the Reykjavík nightlife. Well, maybe just an unusual amount of news about them.

http://www.grapevine.is/Author/ReadArticle/Is-Reykjav%C3%ADk-the-City-of-Fear

DP may be able to provide a better answer though.

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I've literally never heard of any major, sudden crime outbreaks in Iceland - far less Reykjavik - so this is news to me.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh, our extreme right dudes are usually libertarians, which are laughed at by the majority of the population. Really, the current right-wing here might be described as blue dog democrat on a bad day but normal one on a good day.

Oh god, how terrible. THAT kind of right-wing politicians.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

inscrutable horse posted:

I'm going to start a business, and export white paint to Iceland - I'm going to make a fortune :allears:

Well, you'll make a fortune for the first few years, and once everyone in Iceland has enough white paint you'll go broke. There's only 300,000 to sell paint to, mind.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
So you guys mean to say that Icelandic folk are really just the descendants of Scots or Irelanders? How could us drunkards settle down in an entirely new unsettled place and eventually become some of the most peaceful people on earth? :itisamystery:

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
That was mainly a joke comment, but considering Scotland's affiliation with the Nordic nations later on, I guess that makes sense.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Hey. I'm going to Iceland in a few months. Other than Hallgrímskirkja, what are some neat things in or relatively around Reykjavik that are worth taking a look at? Architecture with a fair bit of history behind it would be neat.

E: Also, are most of the waterfalls relatively easily accessible by car? From the images I've seen, that doesn't seem very likely.

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 7, 2014

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Harpan, the new concert hall is a pretty rad new building. Aside from Hallgrímskirkjan you have the old Catholic Church and one other which I forget what's called that are all neat. The University is a pretty cool building and if you don't look too tourist you can also sneak around there and see it from the inside. National Theatre, Reykjavík theatre and of course Parliament are a few worth a look.

And you can reach a few with just a car and a bit of walking. In a country full of mountains and rain finding some ain't hard, finding the great ones can be though.

I'm paler than a plastic bag and relatively tall, so I think I could pass as an Icelandic university student. Thanks for the advice.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Oh, yeah, thanks dudes. Meant to quote and respond to you as well - don't think that I ignored your posts.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
On the topic of learning the language, do you know of anything similar to Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone for learning Icelandic? I don't have any real use for reading it other than maybe the Sagas, so anything speaking-oriented would be much appreciated. I want to get my Icelandic up to a reasonable level before next year - probably going to end up being a very difficult goal.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

No real idea, I learned all my languages by going to countries and hanging around in bars inbetween classes spent sobering up.
This might work?

http://icelandiconline.is/

Yea, try that.

The power of Google. Thanks. I guess people think that Icelandic is too irrelevant to have a Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone program :(.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Hey OP, do you know any of the guys from Sólstafir? Are any of them your cousins, uncles, parents, brothers, or in-laws? Are they as goony and socially awkward and depressing as I envision them?

I really hope the answer is yes to all of these questions.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Oh man, I was hoping the goony gently caress that plays the drums and has dreadlocks was your uncle or something. God, that'd own.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I'm going to move to Iceland and start a company that will develop the most successful sci-fi MMORPG in the world.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

I hate reading forms. I hate y'all for making me reading that (I hate dor1 least for finding teh needed thing for me though).

But yea, for a private stockholder company you still need an Icelandic Identity Number, which you forn types would have difficulty getting if you aren't Nordic. Maybe if you're European it is easier, don't know. If you're 3rd World (This is anything non-EU/EEA btw), well, uhhh, I guess there's always marriage.

On that note, what do Icelanders tend to think of (trigger warning) white foreigners?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Thanks for the extensive response. Very interesting - I always thought of Iceland as being a lot more open to foreigners than what you just described.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
What's religion like in Iceland? The majority of the population is Christian, correct? What denomination, and how big of a role does it play? Icelanders don't seem like the kind of people that would staunchly adhere to religion, somehow.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Going to necro the gently caress out of this thread. It's too cool to die out.

Is "Hallgrimskírkja" pronounced as (roughly) hat-grim-skerk-ya? Please say yes. I hope I finally got pronunciation down :unsmith:.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Hahaha.

No. But then the double ll sound is the most awful sound after the Hj sound for most English speakers to learn so it's a close approximation.

Icelandic is the only language I've ever seen that's literally impossible to spell out pronunciations with phonetically.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Bloodnose posted:

There are many languages like that (all languages are like that) and it's why IPA was invented.

True. English is pretty limited with its sounds, too, so that makes it even harder to spell things out phonetically.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Are there any notable regional accents or dialects of Icelandic?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Only one; Norđlenska, the others were pretty well eradicated in during the Romantic period, same as with most of the more direct Danish influence. There's remnants of them in the east and west but nothing close to Norđlenska and even that is more of an accent than a dialect, with only a few words different.

Very cool. Was there some sort of orthographic standardisation - like German had - to get rid of the other dialects, or was it a natural process?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Are there any little autonomous anarchist communities in Iceland that you know of?

Every other Nordic country has at least one, I think.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
This is a shot in the dark, but do you know of any comprehensive English-Modern Icelandic dictionaries?

I am trying to learn your lovely language, and I would love to have an offline resource, but all the books I'm finding are from the 1800's, are less than 200 pages, or are missing declension/conjugation/other things that should definitely be in a dictionary.

e: Stuff only available from Icelandic stores that will cost me a pretty penny is fine, by the way.

So far I have:

- Icelandic: grammar, texts, glossary
- Colloquial Icelandic
- Beginner's Icelandic

None of them have the thorough dictionary I so desperately desire, though.

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 24, 2015

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Nah, I'm looking for an offline, physical dictionary. I'll keep that one in mind, though - thanks!

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Are there any fairly popular Icelandic forums?

I'm basically looking for an easy way to practice the language.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

please don't poop everywhere
tia

More specifically, don't light your toilet paper on fire.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Basic question - how is "ţiđ" used - mixed group, male group, female group, what?

Or is it more like the equivalent of "y'all", gender neutral?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
So basically - in English - y'all, they, and we respectively? Thanks so much!

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

inscrutable horse posted:

Don't forget the two yes...es? Já & jú :)

This is one of the easier peculiarities for me to remember, for whatever reason.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Do you happen to know of any Icelandic émigrés living in Trinidad? :) I passed by the harbour the other day and saw a replica drekkar (sp.?) with an Icelandic flag flying. Will post pictures ASAP.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Is "ítalska sendiráđinu" correct? Would it not be "ítalskt sendiráđinu" since "sendiráđinu" is neuter and "ítalskt" is the neuter form of the adjective "ítalska"?

Or is the adjective form affected by the fact that "sendiráđinu" is declined so as to be definite dative?

Content:
http://imgur.com/HzqacGi,OLCsNnB,Bs...lZej,pBFIKtP#25

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 1, 2015

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I think that goes for most languages, at least when we're talking native speakers.

Thank you for answering my petty grammar question. I'd ask it somewhere more relevant, but unfortunately your beautiful language is too obscure for such a place to exist.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
How are the protests looking? Do you think they'll get violent?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

On the contrary! It is exactly because we have such selfish pieces of poo poo to strive against we have been able to fight so well for our rights. We have had violent, bloody struggles against the right here, ever since independence.

Here's a lovely article about the current issue btw: http://grapevine.is/news/2016/04/04/conflict-of-interest-what-did-the-prime-minister-of-iceland-do/
Not a chance, I went through the crowd, then up to Hótel Borg and took some pics, here's a video from a guy I know that was there too: https://www.facebook.com/johannes.g.skulason/posts/10207424022773195?fref=nf&pnref=story

There was some throwing of stuff, Bananas especially (because we're a "banana republic" you see, though not the kind that votes with machetes.)

What were they chanting? Did I hear "enginn"?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
So he reneged on his resignation?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

See, what saves these pirates is that there is a core of actual, experienced people; it started with Birgitta, who is good and left wing and saved the party, and then you have people like Helgi Hrafn, who I disagree with on almost everything and personally dislike but I can admit he's principled and at least does some good things.

Birgitta, especially, has stopped the party from being a joke, which is why she makes so many lolberts in the party mad. Those people are honestly little different to the young republicans or any other right-wing youth league; lots rich, white, privileged people that think "Freedom" is the most important thing in the world.
http://www.theguardian.com/news/commentisfree/2016/apr/06/2009-icelanders-farce-president-prime-minister-charlatans-hyprocrisy

Hahahaha, yep! You can't make this poo poo up!!

Between this and the Minister of Fishing becoming PM, it almost does sound like fiction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Actually, most Icelandic words aren't that tough for germanic language speakers to get after a few tries. Yeah, it will be accented but English has most of the sounds except for a few (like the infamous double L)

The ţ-đ difference is probably the hardest part for English speakers, I think. I've been studying Icelandic off and on for about two or three years, and it only just now clicked the other day - it takes a lot of exposure. Both sounds exist in language, but we don't differentiate orthographically, so it's kind of a foreign concept.

• Locked thread