Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
How do Icelanders see Greenlanders? I believe Greenlanders tend to be more of the North American Native stock versus Icelanders being mostly Nordic immigrants. You both were (effectively still are, in the case of Greenland) part of Denmark/in union with the Danes for a long time - is there any sense of shared history with the Greenlanders, and if so, what's it like?

Also how are your views on the Swedes/Norwegians, and also the Sami and Finns? I guess the Finns and Sami being not-totally-Nordic culturally but still part of the Nordic Union muddies things a bit, but it's all terribly interesting. How about the Faroese?

Since you're part of the Nordic Union, have you noticed any sort of increase in emigration from Iceland to Scandinavia recently? I'm curious as it how much the financial issues might have encouraged people to head abroad, expensive though that can be, or if there might have been some kind of stronger feelings towards staying put.

And last question, how does the average Icelander feel about the Danes in general, and the prior union with Denmark? You mentioned yourself that you were part of the last generation to be raised on Danish, which suggests that there may be a move towards strengthening feelings of independence, but that kind of runs counter to EU integration as I understand it.

Edit: I lied, two more questions: what sector seems to be the new up and coming thing for Iceland? Technology? Was (is?) geothermal power ever considered as a major export possibility? You mentioned refined aluminum exporting, which I had no clue about. Any other major things like that Iceland is involved in or has future plans to promote?

And last, how do immigrants seem to be taking to Icelandic? It seems like lots of the Germanic countries suffer from the problem that the natives are all pretty drat good English speakers, especially the younger generation, which would seem to be such an easy crutch to fall upon that it might hamper a lot of first generation immigrants picking up the language.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That mighta not come out right bro, I was the last to learn Danish before English as a second language, I learned Icelandic before that. Danish was my second language and English my third.

Nah, I understood what you meant perfectly, it's just that my English is terrible.

I think it's super cool that you guys kept (and are keeping) Icelandic alive. Are the differences with Faroese mostly spelling/pronunciation or are there any significant points where the grammar differs? Since the Faroes are kind of right in between Iceland and Norway I'd have expected Faroese to have become much closer to Norwegian (or whatever they did before the bokmal/nynorsk thing). Kind of surprising that Icelandic and Faroese are almost mutually intelligible.

Thanks for all the great answers to my questions, I'm sure I'll be back with more later.

• Locked thread