Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I went to Iceland in 2009. I was doing some traveling and the economy there had just crashed so I figured it was a good chance to check it out.

I couldn't get accomodation locked on. The only youth hostel in Reykjavik (at the time; sure there's more now) was booked far in advance. I couldn't get a couchsurfing host locked on either. I took a gamble and went anyways because I had already bought my ticket. Met an Australian in the boarding pass line who was visiting a friend he studied with in Norway or something. His friend offered to drive me into town. They had a camping trip planned and I just so happened to get invited. Then I stayed with a guy from couchsurfing in Reykjavik. Had a couple good nights out in town. I met an Icelandic chick out in town one of the nights who let me stay at her place for about 4 nights before I left. Also linked up with an old Icelandic dude through a couchsurfing group who would take young tourist on these day road trips if they pitched in on gas. Man, good times.

Icelandic people can loving drink. Opal is gross. Love that Brennivin schnapps though! Whale burgers/patties are delicious with that white sauce.But seriously they'd just drink until blackout/vomiting and then drink some more. Men and women included. It was like nothing I'd ever seen. Downtown Reykjavik was pure debauchery. As with most of Europe the partying went until about 6 am. Vomit everywhere, people passed out in the streets, mobs of people trying to get food. Was a bit surreal with the sun barely setting at about 2-3 am and then rising a couple hours later. Icelandic women are beautiful. Like that one famous writer who loves Iceland said "Supermodels flippin' burgers at McDonalds." Also was there for the gay pride parade and saw Paul Oscar dj that night.

I think I was told that the sulphur in the water gave you guys nice skin. Couldn't really argue it because you guys do have nice skin. I didn't mind the sulphur smell at all to be honest.

Cracked me up that the parliament was just a house in the city with a couple guards out front. You could literally walk up and knock on the door.

Couple lovely pictures if the OP doesn't mind :)

Can't really go to Iceland and not see the Blue Lagoon..

I know you guys are prideful about your horses. Isn't there strict laws in terms of the export of your horses and import of other horses? Well strict as in not allowed.

Tell me about the Icelandic folklore? From what I gathered from asking questions the older folk are very supersticious when it comes to that kind of stuff. Especially trolls. Or was it elves? Gnomes? Can't remember.They said if they built a house over a rocky formation where trolls might have lived weird things would happen. And they'd actively avoid building highways over these areas and would just go around. Sometimes they'd have "experts" come out and ask for permission to build there and such.

I also remember learning that it's one of the few languages that has been pretty much unchaged. That an Icelandic teenager could go read some old Icelandic writing and pretty much understand all of it. Isn't there also a much more ancient language?

If you guys like Sigur Ros definitely check out Heima. It's sort-of a documentary about Iceland.....with their music.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Do you guys really have some elf expert that you call when building a new road or house that will politely ask the elves if it's ok to build there? Stories you heard growing up? Sightings, etc?

I think I confused the parliament with the white house. Whichever one was near that small park area with the statue right across from all the bars. I think I remember hearing a joke about an Icelandic riot, during the economy collapse, you guys just massed there and yelled at the building and maybe threw a rock or two.

You guys could care less about transexuals, homosexuals, and religious preferences right? I thought that was cool. If you tried to argue any of the above with them they were pretty much "Hey man whatever you believe is cool." What kind of religious foundations are you guys mostly brought up on at home or in school, if any?

Do you believe the sulfur in the water is good for your skin?

Skeesix posted:

Also, as I learned from the history museums and they in turn learned from Y-chromosome vs. mitochondrial DNA, the first settlers of Iceland were mostly Norse men and Celtic women. So I guess that's the secret of "Supermodels flipping burgers."

I remember asking a local about the history of Iceland and aside from the Danish rule it was pretty much "Yeah the vikings went to Ireland and stole a bunch of women and then went to Iceland. The end.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 23, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So do you guys get a lot of poo poo for all the whaling? Active protest in the country or towards the whalers? Thought it was funny that whale meat was pretty much the cheapest meat available. And again, whale burgers were delicious fried up on the bbq.

I think I remember a local telling me the type of whale they hunt are seen as "pests" in a way so it's not really a big deal.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I meant do people actively protest in the country and are they attacking whaling ships etc?

Does everyone eat whale meat there or is it viewed as a food for poors or what? I remember seeing whale burgers at restaurants for tourists but that was it mostly. Lots of whale patties in stores though

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if foreign folk flew there for the sole purpose of protesting or what. Being that there aren't many European countries I could think of that whaled. Curious, I googed it. Seems like it's just Iceland and Noway in Europe. But it seems we just attribute all whaling to Japan.

All I had were the cheap pre-packaged whale patties that we threw on the BBQ. Quite delicious.

On a road trip we pulled up to some sailors at a, uh, place where they butcher the whales after they bring them in? They were real nice and let us poke around. Just a little aftermath was left but it was still cool to see how they did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You guys laugh pretty hard at the Mighty Ducks movie, eh? Is ice hockey even popular at all over there? Just so funny they focused a whole movie around it when you guys don't even play the drat sport

• Locked thread