Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Colorred posted:

Are there any Icelandic video games? If there are, you should totally LP them. I definitely will be there to troll wholeheartedly enjoy the thread.

Yep, besides Eve there are a few startups. My husband and I have published a few apps, two of which are videogames. You can find "Rotor" on android and iOS and "Whack a Putin" in the android store. We've also made a virtual fitness trainer available in iOS, Android, and Windows 8 if you search for "Vfit".

Funny enough Penguin, I think I might have told you this in another thread, but your Ask/tell thread back in 2006 was responsible for my move here to Iceland. I got curious about visiting because of your post, added it to my Euro-tour, and met my now husband on a personals site before visiting. I've lived here 7 years now, waiting on my citizenship, and speak passable Icelandic now (my first second language). Fostered a few kids here, something I never dreamed of stateside as a gay guy growing up in Virginia, and really enjoy the human rights record here (outside of the horrendous asylum process).

My favorite things about Iceland: Walking/biking/rollerskating around Grótta, and walking out to the lighthouse. Skyr, the awesome bike trails making bicycle commuting much easier than most cities I lived in stateside, Northern lights, the small friendly gay scene, affordable housing compared to LA, and of course my husband and his family. I have heard from several expat friends here that they found Icelanders hard to make friends with, but my experience has been much better than I found living in Germany, very easy to meet new people and make friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Kopijeger posted:

This one? I guess it being made by gays explains the appearance of the trainer character.

If you wander into Mjölnir, that's how most of the serious trainers are dressed, including our own undefeated MMA superstar, Gunnar Nelson.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yea, seems perfectly normal to me.

How did you take the whole "let's all shower naked" thing in swimming pools btw? I know a lot of yanks have problems getting used to that.

Well it was conpounded a bit by being gay, so not only was I facing the prudish self-conscious aspect, but it was also like whoah, hotties everywhere. The only communal showers I ever got in America (private school without showers in gym class) was at the pool I visited, and everyone kept their swim suit on.

Took about two weeks to get comfortable with the nudity myself, now it's no big deal. Also my personal opinion of the american nudity thing, is at least part of it is shame based. We see hot bodies all over TV, but many Americans don't look anything like that. Now at 32 I'm in the best shape of my life, so revealing a lean body is not as intimidating as if I was corpulent. I imagine it would be especially difficult being fat in a country of mostly slim and fit (at least in the gym showers) people.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 31, 2014

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

nm posted:

Reykjavik doesn't really need a car for tourist stuff if you're staying very centrally.
Outside or Reykjavik, I strongly recommend one unless you're doing only the golden circle stuff.

Ditto. Having a car is incredibly freeing, and if you plan even half-rear end, you can easily see 3-5x worth the value of the rental car in tours.

I suggest driving to Stykkishólmur, around the Snæfelsnes peninsula, and then on another day do the golden circle and then keep going and see Jökursálon (the glacier bay) and take a dip in Seljavallalaug.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Max posted:

Cool. My wife and I will meet you out front. I'll have a long blue coat on.

I'd meet up too, but too close to my son's bedtime. Next time goonies!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Iced Cocoa posted:

When you address a group you're not part of, you use "þið" regardless of genders.

When talking about a group which you are not addressing but you are not part of, you use "þeir" for a group with just men, "þær" with just women, "þau" with both genders.

When talking about a group you're part of, regardless of if you're addressing it or not, you use "við".

The only one I get consistently right is Þær for some reason. :-(

Don't forget þeim, þeirra, etc. and don't get me started on colors, respecting plural/singular for adjectives? ungggggggggg

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

I just want to talk about how utterly hosed up bank loans and especially mortgage loans are in Iceland. I just rent, but colleagues I have owe way more on their houses than they did 10 years ago because loans adjust up for inflation, that's kinda hosed up. I haven't met a happy home owner yet.

Can someone give me a comprehensive overview on it? I assume it's because the money has to come from abroad and so they have crazy requirements for security but drat, it's straight up usury.

Happy homeowner here. We even paid off our entire mortgage in five years, owning our house outright at 34, despite having a child. Though admittedly we got lucky with our purchase time (2010) and both have higher than average salaries.

The banking system is usurious and needs some overhaul, but it's not actually that difficult to stay on top of inflation increases unless a person is living paycheck to paycheck (which some are, but not too many homeowners are in such dire financial straights they can't chop a few habits down so they have extra funds for those inflation increases).

Additionally there are non inflation indexed loans offered now, though the requirements put them out of reach for most people.

Here is an article comparing the costs between Reykjavik, San Fran, and the US average, put together by my husband (top 7 photos by yours truly) http://creativekarlsson.com/interesting/how-expensive-is-iceland/

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Oh that was your husband doing that? Tell him I quite liked that article and shared it with folks I knew.

Also, Nice pics.

Thank ya! We're trying to keep adding regularly financial content.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm looking for a small apartment in the Keflavik area but everything is so drat expensive. 160k for anything remotely decent it seems.

Rent everywhere seems to be insane.

Our mortgage for a fairly nice sized duplex in 101 was only 135þ about 5 years ago, that's how much real estate has gone up.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

airbnbs an hotels y'all, gotta grab that delicious tourist ISK

also Reykjavík being the only municipality to actually be building poo poo and that's not really the social housing we need (tho better than nothing)

Oh I know. We are landlords, have a guesthouse we rent out, as well as a 2nd apartment. The amount of money we made using AirBnB was almost double what we get from longer term renters. It's only because we want to fight the gentrification of AirBnB that we've voluntarily switched to long term renters. The financial incentives are absolutely there to encourage anyone with a space that could go to short term tourist rentals, to do so.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Bourgeois landowning class here too and I gotta say that sometimes it's been real tempting to pay up the loan on this place by turning it into a hotel-lite but all our tenants are good people (except one but he's being kicked out) so I'd just feel awful throwing them out to the wolves like that

Though arguing with Icelanders about it can be awful "oh but its just the way the market is! the market can't be immoral!"

Nothing has been more frustrating for me as an American transplant to Iceland to see how much hypocrisy or dueling ideas Icelanders can hold. Super moral society overall, one of the main reasons I moved here, but then you can find yourself arguing with an Icelander about basic human dignity and wonder how they got so hosed up.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Muslims; yeah, Rroma, no.

We did have some Irish travellers but we unlawfully kicked them out if I remember right. Though I'm happy to report that a lot of Icelanders that move abroad are very quick to integrate into the most racist crowds they can and unironically talk about "those drat immigrants/foreigners". (Like some of may family! Yay!)

It's really weird witnessing Icelandic racism coming from America. The best way to describe it (and I'd apply this to Germany too) is that Icelandic society is less racist, but Icelanders themselves, when racist, are way more vocal about it. Think your super right wing grandpa that forwards crazy emails. My FiL had a book on his table about the "muslim invasion" IN ICELANDIC on his coffee table. And people won't hesitate to say something super racist in polite company, because as you said, there has never really been a societal talk about it, so people don't really know what they're "supposed" to keep to themselves and only pull out when you're sure everyone present is a KKK member.

I've also found most Icelanders are under the mistaken impression they have no racism in their history, when a professor at the university of Iceland (forget his name) has well documented the governments refusal to take jewish asylum seekers in ww2 (complete with ultra racist newspaper clippings making rat comparisons) and the wink wink agreement with the USA not to station any troops of color in Keflavik. Plus let's not forget the much more modern instance of complaining of Iceland sending an "ape" to give our Euro-vision song contest votes. (a mixed race icelandic native musician was chosen to call in)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah, I've had that too. Like, Útvarp Saga level poo poo where the person is talking poo poo about foreign people next to my now ex and not seeing anything wrong with it.

I despise when Icelanders are xenophobic around me. People who know I'm not native will do it right to my face. It's what makes the entire thing ultra clear it's really just racism and not concern for their culture or nation or whatever other reasons racists tell themselves.

Their targets are always darker than swarthy, and the Icelander's acceptance of me as "one of the good ones" I'm convinced is about me being tall and white.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

The fact that IP is still polling so well after all of this makes me turn the nihilist knob past the 11 it was already at to 14 cause gently caress this poo poo. Simply unbelievable.

• Locked thread