Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Recruiting for the thread, eh? I'm amazed at how people don't seem to know about the regional megathreads, they were one of the first things I found.

I don't think we actually have one for Hong Kong :smith:

I'm the other beneficiary of your wonderful advice! Thank you so much - I'm sure our trip will be a lot better with your help. Is there an address we could drop off a couple HK souvenirs for you? PM me!

CupcakePrincess posted:

Nope, probably not, since I only joined less than a year ago. My boyfriend has been on SA since 2004, and this account is one of the first gifts he got me (romantic).

:regd05: actually, but I guess regdate elitism is out of fashion now :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's amazing how the important things to ask only become obvious upon arrival.

For example, is bathing in this water going to make me smell like rotten eggs forever?

(We made it here safe and sound by the way, thanks for all your help!)

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's wonderful to hear you had a great time! Do you want to tell us the highlights? I know a bit about it but I'd really like to hear more.

Yup our trip was great! We were there for six days. Here are the highlights:

Horse riding on dinky horses!

Stop 1 on the Golden Circle, Thingvellir. The tour was kinda poo poo and we hurried past without seeing much, though the dreary weather probably didn't help things.

The second stop, Gulfoss, was definitely worth it though. They don't make waterfalls like that where we're from! And the sun was starting to come out, which was a pretty big deal as the locals constantly reminded us.

Final stop was Geysir, or what's left of it since it doesn't erupt. The other geyser right next to it happily obliged though.

On the way back to the city after the Golden Circle tour, the guide said we had enough time to stop at this other waterfall. I have no idea what it's called and it sure seems to be a minor place in Icelandic eyes but I found it breathtaking. The locals seem pretty desensitized to this stuff haha.

We took a walk on a glacier. It's shockingly big in person, but it's even more shocking how much of it is now gone - all that puddly space in the background used to be ice 20 years ago, we were told.

Right next to it is that infamous flight-stopping volcano.

Esja was amazing! And we definitely would not have found it without OP's help. I don't think it's widely known outside Iceland, which is probably intentional because the place is crawling with local hikers.

Reykjavik itself. I think that's Esja in the background?

Hallgrimskirkja, which is either an architectural masterpiece or a dinky excuse for a "tallest building in the city", depending on my mood :D

The obligatory hot dog! OP, you wouldn't happen to know who came up with the idea of putting fried onions on it would you? He or she deserves a medal.

:nws::nws:
The Icelandic handball team, as immortalized in the dick museum.

There's lots more where this came from but I think that's enough for one post. Everyone should go to Iceland if they can!

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe
Icelandic dried fish is delicious and I just has a friend bring back lots. Is there any particular way to eat it other than just cramming it into my mouth? Seems like it might make a good soup or something...

• Locked thread