Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

KillHour posted:

https://store.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-video-camera.html

Has IR and is 720p. Has a fixed field of view (no ability to zoom or adjust the angle), so hopefully you can put it fairly close to your choke point. You need to use their software.

Wireless isn't happening at your price point (or really any price point). Power becomes an issue with wireless cameras, which is why they're rare.

Also, it's "water resistant." Whatever that means. I can't find a proper IP rating, so I wouldn't let it get too wet.

One thing to note about Ubiquity is that their current firmware breaks RTSP streaming, so he wouldn't be able to use a different VMS like he was requesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Which is why I said you need to use their software. Unfortunately, his budget pretty much rules out everything he was requesting.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well I just went out and got a Google Nest Thermostat and Smoke/CO2 Detector. So I think I will hold off and see what google/nest solutions come out for security cams in addition to dropcam.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I ordered some cheap chinese foscam style $25 cams for shits and giggles. Going to hook them up with blue irish and see what results are like.

Two outcomes, either they work well and can post results and you can add a section for a very budget setup
Or, they don't work well at all, and you can post a section on why they don't work well. Either way we all win.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

$25 cams

:catdrugs:

I refuse to believe that such a thing will even power on. Link?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

:catdrugs:

I refuse to believe that such a thing will even power on. Link?

http://tinyurl.com/p83epd2

I assume it's garbage but hey, if I place it properly it might work well enough.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

My yard and structures have 2 good pinch points so 640x480 or whatever should be fine.

:crossarms:

Are these going inside or outside?

Edit:

I like how this camera claims to have both an SD card and I/O ports (and shows the phoenix connectors to go with them), but I don't see a place they could possibly go in the pictures.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 2, 2014

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
It's using the Hi3518 chipset (which is one of the ones Foscam uses) made by HiSilicon. Most of HiSilicon's chipwork is for the Chinese cellphone market but they have a small* sideline for security camera chipsets. It will do will do all of the what the spec sheet claims, and honestly will do better then that camera claims. It was an inexpensive chipset when it hit the market two years ago and it's still pretty cheap. Given that it's advertised as a 640 x 480 camera but the chipset will do 720p, so I assume it's being paired with a super cheap sensor, and a plastic lens. Assuming I was putting together a camera from parts and going cheap, I would build one and be profitable at $25, IF I didn't take returns. The spec sheet claims it's the E variation. I'm only aware of the A and C but the E might be a China only version.

It will output an RTSP stream and in theory does camera side motion detection. It's possible Blue Iris does native support for it but most likely you'll have to set it up to record the RTSP stream. So it's likely going to be record always. One of the more interesting quirks of this chip is that it's fairly high latency. IP cameras are gonna have a certain amount of latency. Usually 200 ms or so. The Hi3518 chipset cameras tend to be closer to 500 ms to 700 ms.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Interesting. Any idea of blueiris can do motion detection software side ? The ebay add claims motion detection I think.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I would assume so, but I don't keep track of Blue Iris for competitive analysis stuff so I can't say yes.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I figured I'd ask here since this is where security cams are.

Is there any good PCI or PCI-E capture cards? I've got spare HDDs for DVRing and whatnot. Preferably BNC. I don't have expensive cameras, and my dvr poo poo the bed, and I"d rather have it on my PC anyways, makes it easier to stalk see who is at the front door when I'm upstairs.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hrmm,

Ok well I can get these cameras to stream and record via the crappy packaged software, but can't get the stream from blueiris.

There is a hisilicon profile but its for the 3508 chipset. It doesn't work with mine. I tried selecting just the generic rtsp stream (h264 and tunneling) and im not getting any videofeed. The cameras are configured for port 80 for http and the "Video port" is 9300.

When I tell blueiris to try to autoconfig it seems to indicate the camera isnt responding on the rtsp port. Anyone have suggestions ? The camera model is here:
http://zmvideo.en.alibaba.com/product/60027577005-218297790/QQZM_CCTV_night_vision_indoor_IR_Cut_wireless_ip_camera_300k_Pixel_webcam.html

And FYI at the moment I have the cameras placed outside. It's -8 Celsius right now and arent fogging up. Supposed to drop to around -22 in the next day.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Those are going to be toast as soon as it hits the dew point and you get condensation (or it rains). I'll be surprised if they still work in a month. How bad is the image quality?

Oh, and just because it says Onvif, doesn't mean it's going to actually work with Onvif compliant software. The standards are a joke (and a lot of Chinese products just slap the label on without actually following them). You might be SoL for getting them to work with Blue Iris. Try Milestone Go?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 9, 2014

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

I figured I'd ask here since this is where security cams are.

Is there any good PCI or PCI-E capture cards? I've got spare HDDs for DVRing and whatnot. Preferably BNC. I don't have expensive cameras, and my dvr poo poo the bed, and I"d rather have it on my PC anyways, makes it easier to stalk see who is at the front door when I'm upstairs.

Not really. They are all kind of flaky in their own awful way. I do not miss them at all. But for something to just watch the door then you might look to see if Avermedia still has any cards.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

jonathan posted:

Hrmm,

Ok well I can get these cameras to stream and record via the crappy packaged software, but can't get the stream from blueiris.

There is a hisilicon profile but its for the 3508 chipset. It doesn't work with mine. I tried selecting just the generic rtsp stream (h264 and tunneling) and im not getting any videofeed. The cameras are configured for port 80 for http and the "Video port" is 9300.

When I tell blueiris to try to autoconfig it seems to indicate the camera isnt responding on the rtsp port. Anyone have suggestions ? The camera model is here:
http://zmvideo.en.alibaba.com/product/60027577005-218297790/QQZM_CCTV_night_vision_indoor_IR_Cut_wireless_ip_camera_300k_Pixel_webcam.html

And FYI at the moment I have the cameras placed outside. It's -8 Celsius right now and arent fogging up. Supposed to drop to around -22 in the next day.

Run Wireshark and see if you can figure out how it's transmitting the video feed. It's likely someone just did something stupid with the RTSP configuration and set it to a bizarre port. Or they reinvented the wheel and are using a different streaming method. 0

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thomamelas posted:

Run Wireshark and see if you can figure out how it's transmitting the video feed. It's likely someone just did something stupid with the RTSP configuration and set it to a bizarre port. Or they reinvented the wheel and are using a different streaming method. 0

I ran wireshark and captured the traffic from the camera's IP. Kind of beyond me a bit, here is the output. Perhaps you can see some useful info ? That TCP packets, port 9300 is the configured port. Not sure what UDP port 3322 is but most of the packets are coming from that.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
There isn't enough info for me. And for a $25 camera, I'm not gonna spend the time looking through wireshark logs to figure it out.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thomamelas posted:

There isn't enough info for me. And for a $25 camera, I'm not gonna spend the time looking through wireshark logs to figure it out.

No worries, I'll figure it out eventually. It's just another experiment for me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OK so there are 4 TCP ports open and several UDP ports. iSpy security cam software will scan the camera and try to figure out how to get it to respond, but that's a no go too.

I tried running nmap on it, its listed as running Linux and the Mac address is listed as Shenzen

I don't know how the supplied software works with it. Its not like they invented a protocol for a camera that looks like it could come for one of those claw coin op machines.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

jonathan posted:

OK so there are 4 TCP ports open and several UDP ports. iSpy security cam software will scan the camera and try to figure out how to get it to respond, but that's a no go too.

I tried running nmap on it, its listed as running Linux and the Mac address is listed as Shenzen

I don't know how the supplied software works with it. Its not like they invented a protocol for a camera that looks like it could come for one of those claw coin op machines.

I'm kind of curious about the camera. Where did you end up buying it, was it from the manufacturer on alibaba? I can't seem to find the same model on ebay or amazon marketplace.

edit: nevermind I found the ebay link in your earlier post.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 10, 2014

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Yes Blue Iris can do the motion detection - its not bad.

I've moved to using an external PIR sensor for my motion detection as it seems to be the most reliable method. PIR->Raspberry Pi->http trigger of Blue Iris.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Baconroll posted:

Yes Blue Iris can do the motion detection - its not bad.

I've moved to using an external PIR sensor for my motion detection as it seems to be the most reliable method. PIR->Raspberry Pi->http trigger of Blue Iris.

It doesn't support using the DI of the camera itself as a trigger?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've started writing a technical blog for my company's website. I'm hoping to update weekly, and I'll post the updates here. This week is on lenses.

http://dssvideo.com/blog/technology/lenses-in-depth.html

Feel free to hit me with any questions or feedback.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

KillHour posted:

I've started writing a technical blog for my company's website. I'm hoping to update weekly, and I'll post the updates here. This week is on lenses.

http://dssvideo.com/blog/technology/lenses-in-depth.html

Feel free to hit me with any questions or feedback.

It probably wouldn't hurt to add how optical zoom is calculated for lenses since that can be kind of confusing for buyers. And you'll want to add a section for hemispherical lenses. Linking to a lens calculator probably wouldn't hurt or at least give the math for it.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I have recently changed jobs and turned up on site to find probably 15-20 awful CCTV systems

It varies from a win xp PC with some kind of coax to serial type adapter with 16 cameras hanging off it

The 'best' system seems to be a Vigilant system with 5 DVRs, 80 camera but none of it works (appears to be credential issues, Vigilant won't support my contractor until contractor attends Vigilant training which they keep cancelling dates for)

so it's a bit of a mess...

On a positive side as part of the install I put in fibre all over the place. My contractor is pushing Milestone on me... From what I can gather Id put a fairly decent server central somewhere, go out over all my fibre and add add some relatively cheap devices to get my coax cameras recording on my centralised server

Admittedly I've not read my emails properly but it sounds a bit too good to be true... Obviously we are talking a fair amount of cost here but I think centralising and simplifying the system could save on maintenance for the duration of our contract, also added benefits of the security guys don't have to actually walk to every incident to retrieve footage etc etc

Does this sound realistic and worth exploring?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

I have recently changed jobs and turned up on site to find probably 15-20 awful CCTV systems

It varies from a win xp PC with some kind of coax to serial type adapter with 16 cameras hanging off it

The 'best' system seems to be a Vigilant system with 5 DVRs, 80 camera but none of it works (appears to be credential issues, Vigilant won't support my contractor until contractor attends Vigilant training which they keep cancelling dates for)

so it's a bit of a mess...

On a positive side as part of the install I put in fibre all over the place. My contractor is pushing Milestone on me... From what I can gather Id put a fairly decent server central somewhere, go out over all my fibre and add add some relatively cheap devices to get my coax cameras recording on my centralised server

Admittedly I've not read my emails properly but it sounds a bit too good to be true... Obviously we are talking a fair amount of cost here but I think centralising and simplifying the system could save on maintenance for the duration of our contract, also added benefits of the security guys don't have to actually walk to every incident to retrieve footage etc etc

Does this sound realistic and worth exploring?

With a fiber infrastructure it's doable to do a centralized configuration. You connect the existing cameras to an encoder. The encoder connects to the network and the VMS will effectively see them as IP cameras. Given the number of cameras you're looking at, you'd be looking at multiple Milestone units. I assume this is a private fiber network?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

With a fiber infrastructure it's doable to do a centralized configuration. You connect the existing cameras to an encoder. The encoder connects to the network and the VMS will effectively see them as IP cameras. Given the number of cameras you're looking at, you'd be looking at multiple Milestone units. I assume this is a private fiber network?

Not necessarily. Since these cameras are all analog, the best he's going to be able to record in is D1. Running the numbers through my calculator, 350 D1 cameras @ 8FPS recording on motion 30% of the time should need about 15TB for 30 days storage and have a bandwidth requirement of ~155Mbps.

My company builds NVRs that can easily handle a load like that.

The software won't be cheap, of course, but it's more than capable (I actually work for a Milestone shop and I'm certified, so let me know if you have any specific questions on the software). I think I'd want to stab my eyes out if I had to manage 20 separate analog systems.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 19, 2014

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I think that is the gist of the concept we are being sold Thomamelas, however interesting to know the numbers behind it

Essentially what we have is 9 buildings with their own 16 chan DVR and 16 analogue cameras
1 building with 2 DVRs and 32 cams
Finally another building 5 DVRs / 80 cams

They're the ones I would centralise anyway

Each individual building has a pair of fibre cores spare that I could use to link them to the server room so I am interested in the idea of centralising

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

angry armadillo posted:

I think that is the gist of the concept we are being sold Thomamelas, however interesting to know the numbers behind it

Essentially what we have is 9 buildings with their own 16 chan DVR and 16 analogue cameras
1 building with 2 DVRs and 32 cams
Finally another building 5 DVRs / 80 cams

They're the ones I would centralise anyway

Each individual building has a pair of fibre cores spare that I could use to link them to the server room so I am interested in the idea of centralising

That works out to 256 cameras @ D1 resolution.

Assuming 8FPS, H.264 encoding, record on motion only (30% recording) and 30 day retention, here are your numbers:

113.2 Mbps throughput
11,008 GB usable storage

Like all storage calculations, these numbers make a lot of assumptions (compression settings, scene complexity, GOV length....), but should generally be on the high side.

Note that even though that 113.2 Mbps number is assuming all cameras are recording at the same time, you should assume that you are using that bandwidth 24/7. The reason for this is that if you turn on pre-recording for motion detection (the ability to record video from before the motion was actually recognized by the software), the system is actually receiving video all the time and just throwing out what it doesn't need to keep.

If you want to play around with the calculator yourself, here's the link:
http://dssvideo.com/server-calculator/

Ignore the "Recommended Server Build" on the bottom. That just recommends one of our recorders.

Here is a link to another calculator that you can use to compare results:
https://exacq.com/config/

Edit: I almost forgot to mention. Milestone (relatively) recently changed their licensing structure for encoders. Most encoders only need 1 Milestone license for all the analog cameras attached to them (it basically depends on how many MAC addresses the encoder has - Axis uses 4 MACs on their 16 channel encoders, for instance, so each encoder needs 4 licenses). If you use 16 channel encoders (with a single MAC), you only need to buy 16 Milestone licenses to support that entire system!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 19, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

It probably wouldn't hurt to add how optical zoom is calculated for lenses since that can be kind of confusing for buyers. And you'll want to add a section for hemispherical lenses. Linking to a lens calculator probably wouldn't hurt or at least give the math for it.

Thanks. I'll definitely add the optical zoom piece. I might add something on hemispheric lenses, or just give them their own post. I'm definitely going to go more in depth on the lens calculator piece in another post. I haven't decided whether I want to write a quick calculator in javascript, or just link the Theia one. Is there one you like to use?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 19, 2014

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

KillHour posted:

Not necessarily. Since these cameras are all analog, the best he's going to be able to record in is D1. Running the numbers through my calculator, 350 D1 cameras @ 8FPS recording on motion 30% of the time should need about 15TB for 30 days storage and have a bandwidth requirement of ~155Mbps.

My company builds NVRs that can easily handle a load like that.

The software won't be cheap, of course, but it's more than capable (I actually work for a Milestone shop and I'm certified, so let me know if you have any specific questions on the software). I think I'd want to stab my eyes out if I had to manage 20 separate analog systems.

Note that the best practices document from Milestone has the following:

quote:

XProtect Enterprise is advanced IP video management software designed for medium and large scale installations, primarily multi-site, multi-server deployments.Recommended for installations with a maximum of 250 cameras, however it has the capability to support an unlimited number of recording servers. For mission-critical installations, XProtect Enterprise has a single management interface for quick response and situational awareness. Without a single management interface, the security operator is spending additional time to view and control the cameras in a system.

I've generally found that Milestone's suggested limits tend to be perhaps more optimistic then the real world performance indicates. But then again the company I work for competes with them. But kicking them out of enterprise deployments isn't very hard.

KillHour posted:

Thanks. I'll definitely add the optical zoom piece. I might add something on hemispheric lenses, or just give them their own post. I'm definitely going to go more in depth on the lens calculator piece in another post. I haven't decided whether I want to write a quick calculator in javascript, or just link the Theia one. Is there one you like to use?

http://ipvm.com/calculator

I didn't think I'd ever get excited about a lens calculator. But this one is hands down the best. It adds PPF with the option to upload a picture and see what the FoV would be using that picture.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

Note that the best practices document from Milestone has the following:

I've generally found that Milestone's suggested limits tend to be perhaps more optimistic then the real world performance indicates. But then again the company I work for competes with them. But kicking them out of enterprise deployments isn't very hard.

The only reason they have that in there is because when you go over 250 cameras, they try to push you towards Corporate, which is, of course, more expensive. We have Enterprise deployments out there with thousands of cameras, and they work just fine (not all on one server, of course...). Sure, the Corporate feature set would be helpful for management, but there is no technical reason you can't put as many cameras as you want on an Enterprise system.

Thomamelas posted:

http://ipvm.com/calculator

I didn't think I'd ever get excited about a lens calculator. But this one is hands down the best. It adds PPF with the option to upload a picture and see what the FoV would be using that picture.

This is actually very funny, because I sent an email to John about that calculator. His response was to pretty much blow me off.

quote:

John;

I would leave a comment, but I no longer have an IPVM account, so this will have to do. Just wanted to let you know that the math is incorrect on your 180/360 degree lens calculator tool.

Your PPF should be Resolution / (Pi * Distance), not Resolution / ( 2 * Pi * Distance). The reason for this is that the field of view is only half a circle (since you can't see behind the camera), so you should be looking for half the circumference of a circle. This effectively means that the PPF you're reporting is half of what it should be.

--

John Honovich <john@ipvm.com>
Nov 11 (8 days ago)

to me
Bryan,

We've verified it against our actual test results and the formula we are using reflects the reality of the image being delivered.

If we use your formula, we would be significantly overstating tested performance.

Granted, there are reasons why a hemispheric lens might produce lower image quality than the math would imply (the entire imager not being used in most hemispheric lenses, hemispheric lenses not actually being spherical, etc.), but that doesn't mean you can just use the wrong formula and call it good enough. I have a hard time taking John seriously - he has a bad habit of jumping to conclusions (and being quite a dick about it, to boot). [/rant]

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 20, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, anyone feel like taking a stab at diagnosing how these magical cheap cameras communicate ? They actually work pretty drat well. They've been exposed to -30 degrees outside for a couple weeks now with no issues at all.

The supplied software works perfectly fine with them, as does the supplied camera ip address checker. nmap gets a response on a few different ports, but trying to get any response through a browser comes back with nothing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

So, anyone feel like taking a stab at diagnosing how these magical cheap cameras communicate ? They actually work pretty drat well. They've been exposed to -30 degrees outside for a couple weeks now with no issues at all.

The supplied software works perfectly fine with them, as does the supplied camera ip address checker. nmap gets a response on a few different ports, but trying to get any response through a browser comes back with nothing.

Wait... they don't even have a web interface? :psyduck:

Sorry, my networking knowledge is more on the enterprise design side. I'm not familiar enough with the communication protocols to be of much help analyzing individual packets. Maybe someone is SH/SC is crazy enough to spend a weekend pouring over wireshark logs.

Edit: Would you mind posting a screenshot of the video feed? I'd be interested to see what kind of image quality you get.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 20, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

Well, I believe they do, but I can't get them to respond. Downloading that Milestone Go at the moment, EyeSpy or whatever open source software hits it with easily 500 different common URL's and it doesnt respond to any of them. nmap gets a response to a few open http and UDP ports, BUT when I try to send commands via the browser, I get no response. If I could figure out what port the software, "IPCameraV.exe" is using, I could probably get blueiris to work.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

Well, I believe they do, but I can't get them to respond. Downloading that Milestone Go at the moment, EyeSpy or whatever open source software hits it with easily 500 different common URL's and it doesnt respond to any of them. nmap gets a response to a few open http and UDP ports, BUT when I try to send commands via the browser, I get no response. If I could figure out what port the software, "IPCameraV.exe" is using, I could probably get blueiris to work.

Milestone has easily one of the largest supported camera lists out there. The camera claimed to be ONVIF compliant, so you should at least get an image. Who knows if it actually is, though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

Sorry, my networking knowledge is more on the enterprise design side. I'm not familiar enough with the communication protocols to be of much help analyzing individual packets. Maybe someone is SH/SC is crazy enough to spend a weekend pouring over wireshark logs.

Edit: Would you mind posting a screenshot of the video feed? I'd be interested to see what kind of image quality you get.

Yeah I don't want to waste anyone's time like that. I figure maybe someone might be like "Oh try such and such". I'm not a network person either. I operate heavy equipment, not the most techy of careers.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

jonathan posted:

Is the MAC address printed on the cameras? Can you use Colasoft to scan your network and locate what ips those cameras are reporting to?

Are you just getting a blank/error page when you go to the webpage, or are you getting a login screen that is funky/off/broken somehow? If so, try it in a different browser. IE11 breaks a lot of stuff for older or shittier cameras, so try maybe Chrome, FF, IE10, or even IE9. But that's only if its not returning an error/blank page. If it's just a blank page, then that's beyond my skills.

Also, hi thread, I work for a company that does IP camera integration software in the QA department. This has been a pretty interesting read so far, and I actually learned a lot of stuff by reading it, so thanks for it.

edit: Oh, or use wireshark and unplug the cameras, start wireshark scanning, then plug them back in and watch for the packets. I'm pretty sure they'll be sending an ARP to the network as a kind of 'What's up? I'm here!' when you first plug them in so you can find out their ip that way potentially. If you have a lot of traffic, though, it's going to be shiiiitty. I have to do this in the office sometimes and it is just awful to do it in a 150 person office, with everyone using the network all at once. Plus it'll take 1-5m for the camera to boot up and toss its packet.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 20, 2014

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

jonathan posted:

Yeah I don't want to waste anyone's time like that. I figure maybe someone might be like "Oh try such and such". I'm not a network person either. I operate heavy equipment, not the most techy of careers.

I ordered one to play around with but it's on a slow boat from China. Delivery time is between Nov 26th and Jan 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nucleicmaxid posted:

Is the MAC address printed on the cameras? Can you use Colasoft to scan your network and locate what ips those cameras are reporting to?

Are you just getting a blank/error page when you go to the webpage, or are you getting a login screen that is funky/off/broken somehow? If so, try it in a different browser. IE11 breaks a lot of stuff for older or shittier cameras, so try maybe Chrome, FF, IE10, or even IE9. But that's only if its not returning an error/blank page. If it's just a blank page, then that's beyond my skills.

Also, hi thread, I work for a company that does IP camera integration software in the QA department. This has been a pretty interesting read so far, and I actually learned a lot of stuff by reading it, so thanks for it.

edit: Oh, or use wireshark and unplug the cameras, start wireshark scanning, then plug them back in and watch for the packets. I'm pretty sure they'll be sending an ARP to the network as a kind of 'What's up? I'm here!' when you first plug them in so you can find out their ip that way potentially. If you have a lot of traffic, though, it's going to be shiiiitty. I have to do this in the office sometimes and it is just awful to do it in a 150 person office, with everyone using the network all at once. Plus it'll take 1-5m for the camera to boot up and toss its packet.

Thanks, I have the IP's and mac addresses. I can see them through the router and the supplied camera detection software they came with. They report back the IP, HTTP port of 80 and "video" port 9300. In the camera detection software there is a quicklink button to open the camera's website configuration utility, but through chrome or any other browser I just get "Google Chrome's connection attempt to 192.168.1.102 was rejected. The website may be down, or your network may not be properly configured." This makes me wonder how the hell the software is connecting. I can record and view video just fine, but only from the crappy software.

Actually, I didn't notice a small pinhole reset button. Going to try that.

• Locked thread