Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Jazz Marimba posted:

I'm interested in this, but do you have a preview that isn't just the first bunch of pages on the physics of playing tenors?

I don't actually have more previews but I'll post some music files for the good people of SA!

Double Strokes:
This one is just my verison of the doube-beat exercise. This one works in some dynamic contrast and some advanced rhythm/drum choices. I love playing over the barline and it is apearent at the end (sort of a odd time illusion).

Flam Spree:
This is an advanced flam spree in the same realm of BD's shopping sprees. It is a bit more random but does slowly add more and more diddle, cheese and flam drag elements. My favorite passage is the 11/8 measure with the flam in the middle of the open roll; very hard to play clean but definitely possible (try it real slow at first and just drop that left hand one more time haha). This one also goes over the bar line at the end because why not!

Slow Fast:
This style exercise originated as a rote pattern that tenors usually played after tuning all the drums - as a check. Some writers write out their own and some lines just make them up along the way, but they are quickly catching on. I start on the right side of the instrument but with three notes instead of what usually is one (for a 12/8 pattern) just to give it a more odd timing rhythm across the kit. I also don't use the inside drums because it would throw off the flow (I don't use this as a tuning check anymore so that doesn't matter anyway, but you still could just without the inside drums). I LOVE this exercise because of the rare odd time present in the fifth measure. Instead of adding all sorts of tempo changes you really just keep the eighth-note triplets (ie 12th notes) going from the previous measure. There is no need to do that the second time though (at the end) becuase I decided to end it a little more authoritative on the 13" drum.

I can definitely post some more if you have specific exercises you're looking to check out (for writing style and taste).

ATwoSlotToaster fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Hi, drumming goons! I've just started learning the drums, and by "just started," I mean since the start of summer, so I'm only a little over a month in. I initially booked a lesson as a confidence-building thing (I'm shyer than hell about performing even the simplest tasks, and figured hitting stuff might be good for me), and quickly found that drumming is pretty much the funnest thing ever. My teacher says I'm actually quite good for the stage I'm at, so that's encouraging V:shobon:V . I'm still very easily intimidated about it, though. For instance, this:

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

I don't actually have more previews but I'll post some music files for the good people of SA!

Double Strokes:

Flam Spree:

Slow Fast:

... I can't imagine ever being able to play that middle one. Holy poo poo. Like, just looking at that scares me. Then again, after being terrified of playing with a track for the first time and then pretty much (according to my teacher) nailing the first section of my first attempt at it, I realize that over time the seemingly harder things lose their scariness. I still feel like an impostor.

Is there a good website that provides examples of drum terminology?

And does anyone know of any exercises for strengthening snare hits? My right is, allegedly, good, but my left is still noticeably softer. Funnily, the opposite happens when I do a roll.

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard
YouTube has a wide variety of videos on rudiments and beginning lessons like doing full rebounds on snare, helpful for hearing what they should sound like (they almost always speed up with them tho). Watch your grips and use those fingers to get a rocking motion. Important to learn to control your rebounds evenly with both hands on a variety of soft and hard surfaces (ie toms and cymbals if your on a kit).

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Taliaquin posted:

And does anyone know of any exercises for strengthening snare hits? My right is, allegedly, good, but my left is still noticeably softer. Funnily, the opposite happens when I do a roll.

Just use your left hand as often as possible and the hits will strengthen up naturally over time. When doing rudiments lead with the left hand as well as the right, even practice playing open-handed so the left hand gets a greater workout on the cymbals in any given song. And as already stated go to youtube and watch as many drum videos as you can handle, if you watch a dozen quick tutorials and only pick up one thing from each then that's still a dozen extra things that you've learned about playing the instrument.
Also have a look into the Moeller method, it teaches specific motions and techniques that results in a very relaxed but powerful playing style, and is less stressful on the body resulting in less injuries developing over time.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

Taliaquin posted:

You could also try playing opposites, use the left on the hat and the right on the snare. This gets your left playing more and will build chops as well as some good coordination!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Would this be an acceptable thread to discuss finger drumming at all? I've played kits many times all through junior high and high school, I'm very familiar with them, though not a great drummer by any means. Over the past 5 years or so, I've really taken to getting better and better at using my Korg padKontrol along with XLN's Addictive Drums.

My goal is to be the Jimmy Chamberlain of finger drumming, as he's my favourite drummer. He's just always got this groove that I love.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Would this be an acceptable thread to discuss finger drumming at all? I've played kits many times all through junior high and high school, I'm very familiar with them, though not a great drummer by any means. Over the past 5 years or so, I've really taken to getting better and better at using my Korg padKontrol along with XLN's Addictive Drums.

My goal is to be the Jimmy Chamberlain of finger drumming, as he's my favourite drummer. He's just always got this groove that I love.

Yes! I've been doing finger drumming seriously for a couple of years now, before I was just using my MPD to bash out basic hip hop beats and then tightening them up in the piano roll, but now while I'm no David Haynes I'm good enough to play live in jams with my mates.

The aformentioned David Haynes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB_jV6xnM6Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA2CyYdrBLQ

What's your setup in terms of which hits on which pads?

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Thanks for the advice!

RandomCheese posted:

Also have a look into the Moeller method, it teaches specific motions and techniques that results in a very relaxed but powerful playing style, and is less stressful on the body resulting in less injuries developing over time.
This had me at "It is believed that he described the method after observing Civil War drummers in the 19th century." I have a weakness for military drumming. :allears:

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

You could also try playing opposites, use the left on the hat and the right on the snare. This gets your left playing more and will build chops as well as some good coordination!
Holy poo poo, that is way harder than I thought it would be.

Taliaquin fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 15, 2013

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

RandomCheese posted:

Much as Moeller's idea is attractive, there doesn't seem to be much explanation when it comes to understanding it. There always seems to be a vague cloud surrounding it, talk of whipping wrists and that it's something that you just naturally fall into as you get better as a player; but all of this isn't particularly helpful if you're just starting out or looking for something more concrete.

I really like Joe Morello's technique and his approach to stick control, as he had a strong explanation for his technique and the results are very similar to what Moeller was trying to explain, if not the same. He does borrow some ideas from Moeller/Chapin (mainly the grip) but tweaks a few things to remove extraneous motions. In the absence of an instructor, here's a video of him explaining it and offers a lot of useful ideas. There's another series with Danny Gottlieb where they basically take you through the first five lessons. Recommended.

Joe Morello solo interspersed with instances of the 'one-handed roll' that something like the moeller method promises to develop (essentially one-handed repeating triplets, check out 1:40 mark): http://youtu.be/Qh-nGxqo1N4

Jojo Mayer vid utilizing moeller method. Same idea here - staying relaxed and getting as many bounces out of the stroke as possible: http://youtu.be/oCdb3_TPnQ4

Kodo fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 18, 2013

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I didn't see this covered in the OP, but I was wondering what the best recommendation for a kick beater to achieve a particular sound would be.

I have a Ludwig Centennial, 24x20 kick and while I love the oversized kick for it's boom in a rock setting, I need to be able to get a different sound out of it for a recording project I've been asked to do. The music is more Americana/alt country-ish. The songwriter has shown me a lot of songs with a particular bass drum sound and it's more of a resonating low boom with less attack. During some recording tests, we were able to achieve the sound by wrapping some socks around my current beater but it's less than responsive for playing and I'm wondering what the best beater for that would be.

Anyone experienced with a variety of beaters out there? This is what I've found so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Vater-VBVB-Vi...rear end+drum+beater

Seems like it might do the trick. I'm not opposed to tuning the kick to help with that sound and I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them.

cheeswhiz
Nov 21, 2003

ketchup fucking sucks

I Might Be Adam posted:

I didn't see this covered in the OP, but I was wondering what the best recommendation for a kick beater to achieve a particular sound would be.

I have a Ludwig Centennial, 24x20 kick and while I love the oversized kick for it's boom in a rock setting, I need to be able to get a different sound out of it for a recording project I've been asked to do. The music is more Americana/alt country-ish. The songwriter has shown me a lot of songs with a particular bass drum sound and it's more of a resonating low boom with less attack. During some recording tests, we were able to achieve the sound by wrapping some socks around my current beater but it's less than responsive for playing and I'm wondering what the best beater for that would be.

Anyone experienced with a variety of beaters out there? This is what I've found so far.

Seems like it might do the trick. I'm not opposed to tuning the kick to help with that sound and I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them.

That beater would probably be a good start. If that doesn't do it, you might also think about using a thinner batter head and messing with the tuning. Do you have a hole in the resonant head? That also kills resonance.

You may also want to mess around with mic placement as that can have a huge affect on the sound. If you are micing inside the drum, try moving it right outside the resonant head.

cheeswhiz fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 23, 2013

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

The front head isn't ported, we've mic'd it anywhere from 4" to about 14" from the head. I didn't think about a thinner batter head. I'll give that a shot.

TheWizardOfTheOwls
Aug 23, 2010

Busy being worst girl

I Might Be Adam posted:

Probably a little late, what you want to do is pair fully unmuffled heads and use a the style beater you linked. I play a lot of hip-hop, and as such I have to get a similar sound, and in my experience I've found that using more "traditional" bass drum heads will yield the sound you're looking for. I'd suggest getting a clear ambassador (or an equivalent from your preferred brand) for your resonant head, and a clear emperor. The clear batter head will give you a little more attack, but using a coated head will kill off a lot of the extreme head vibrations that will make the fundamental pitch scheme of your bass drum ring out. You could also use a Pinstripe, or a CS, if you want to pitch lower, but those heads wont ring out for nearly as long as an emperor would. I also really wouldn't recommend using two ambassadors, since it will take your already widened fundamental pitch and widen it even more as well as generally shift it up (as a usual pairing of two single ply heads would). They're also kind of flimsy, and most pedals will kick through them if you don't have a patch (which will obviously dry up your kick faster than anything else) and if you want to be able to gig out with the sound you'll break the head sooner rather than later. As far as tuning goes, you'll probably want to tune with matched pitches, and somewhere in the mid-low to medium tension range. The higher you tune the heads the more fundamental will present in your sound, but it will obviously be pitched up higher. There's really no way to get around this trade off, even with unmuffled heads, so you're kinda stuck with it. Just try and find the point where you are getting the amount of ring you want and stop there, hopefully it wont be to high or to low. You should look around your local vintage drum shops for heads, as most retailers don't carry unmuffled heads for bass drum, but vintage shops usually do. It's also worth nothing that you'll probably want to mic this bass drum setup a little further away, as the lack of muffling on the heads should increase your volume by a fair amount. Hope this helps you in finding the sound you're looking for.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Hello drummers! I'm a bedroom guitarist and my darling 13 year-old daughter wants to learn drumming.

I'm permanently scarred by my own inability to learn guitar at 13 on the Hondo acoustic with a 1" action that my parents bought me so I want to get my OWN kid something reasonable to start on. I started playing guitar with a decent piece on my 40's and will always wonder what happened if my parents had sprang for something loving playable.

But I'm not a dentist and don't want to blow money like an idiot, I just want to get her something reasonable to start with. I have no fear of craigslist but really have no idea how to pick out an OK starter set.

Been poking around on cl but I can't tell anything from the ads, and the OP says 'just ask', so I'm asking. I live in Indianapolis so that's the cl I'm watching.

My alternatives are buying from CL and leaving her alone or buying something from a local music store and paying for lessons, trying to rope lessons and a cheaper kit into a single price. Alternately I guess I could go to Costco and pick up an electronic kit for roughly the same amount, but I think that physical instruments are more rewarding to mess as a beginner than electronic ones.

I'd like to keep it under $300 but if it's up to $500 I could resale for $100 less easily that's OK too.

The more interesting things on the local cl:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/4003998654.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/4003223694.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/3980445671.html

Biaxident
Sep 4, 2003

GLOCK: Explosive Firepower!
That black five piece Pearl kit looks like a pretty good deal for a starter kit. I don't know much about guitars, but I think with drums pretty much everything is playable. I really don't recommend an electronic kit for anyone who doesn't record and/or live in a tiny apartment.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I 100% agree with Biaxident, that black five piece is a great kit for a beginner, and probably even an intermediate player too. My first kit was a hodgepodge of pieces from cl that lasted me six months of on and off practice.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ya'll mean this one, right?
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/4003223694.html

Biaxident
Sep 4, 2003

The black one, yes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hello there! I'm starting a band with my friend. I have a question, if that's okay?

He wants to do acoustic and I have my heart set on drums(possibly electronic; I don't have enough cash for anything beyond a five piece normal set). Do the two work together?

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 19, 2013

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they work fine, listen to Nirvana unplugged for a good example. You will have to play pretty lightly so as to not completely overwhelm his guitar, if he plays through an amplifier you will have a bit more elbow room but you will still have to show serious restraint. An electronic kit will be ideal because you can pick drums sounds to complement an acoustic guitar nicely, as well as easily adjusting the volume to match his levels.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RandomCheese posted:

Yeah they work fine, listen to Nirvana unplugged for a good example. You will have to play pretty lightly so as to not completely overwhelm his guitar, if he plays through an amplifier you will have a bit more elbow room but you will still have to show serious restraint. An electronic kit will be ideal because you can pick drums sounds to complement an acoustic guitar nicely, as well as easily adjusting the volume to match his levels.

Hm, that's disappointing, but we'll work it out. We're still months away from when I even get the money to buy our instruments anyway, so we have a lot of time to work on everything before then.

We only just decided to do this today and I know nothing about playing or music making in general, so I'm a bit nervous but extremely excited with the concept. I'm one hundred percent dedicated to music making and the only way this isn't gonna happen is if my band mate dies or something. I don't think he's played guitar before, so we're going to be diving into this together.

I know I probably sound like an idiot, but I'm going to do my best to learn, practice, and be the best drummer I can.

Any suggestions for an under four hundred electronic kit(I can compromise though if there's just a really great set I need to have over that)? This is what I'm looking at right now.

Biaxident
Sep 4, 2003

^ Haha! You crazy kids.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Hm, that's disappointing, but we'll work it out. We're still months away from when I even get the money to buy our instruments anyway, so we have a lot of time to work on everything before then.

We only just decided to do this today and I know nothing about playing or music making in general, so I'm a bit nervous but extremely excited with the concept. I'm one hundred percent dedicated to music making and the only way this isn't gonna happen is if my band mate dies or something. I don't think he's played guitar before, so we're going to be diving into this together.

I know I probably sound like an idiot, but I'm going to do my best to learn, practice, and be the best drummer I can.

Any suggestions for an under four hundred electronic kit(I can compromise though if there's just a really great set I need to have over that)? This is what I'm looking at right now.

Any electric kit in the $400 range will be pretty rubbish, but that Alesis will probably be on top of the heap. However, as you have yet to lay stick to skin in any form, it will likely be years before you can determine what exactly is rubbish about it and what needs to be improved so as not to hold you back.

If you really are serious then go out and buy a practice pad and some sticks and learn basic rudiments so that when the day comes you already have an idea what do do with your hands, instead of participating in a massively demoralising engagement of two people not knowing a single thing about their instruments. Also if either of you have an iPad or iPhone then buy a copy of Garageband and use the virtual guitars and drums to start making songs right now, again this will benefit both of you massively if you have prior knowledge before approaching a guitar or drum set. If you don't have an apple device then find something else that makes noise and start making songs with that instead. Don't just sit idle in the time between now and when you get the money together for your equipment, there are a million things you could learn and do between now and then that will accelerate your progress as a band dramatically when you finally start playing together.

Remember that "Musician" is not just another term for "Instrument Owner", there's nothing stopping your band from building and recording songs and demos straight away that you can flesh out later on when you get the right gear.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Alright, I'll get some practice stuff and books and start at them right away. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm thinking of putting together a "minimalist" kit because I don't have much room, or the privilege of being able to bash away on a bunch of toms and cymbals since I need to keep the noise down.

Right now I was thinking an 18x16 floor tom, a snare, a ride, and hi-hats. Probably played with a brush and a mallet for the tom. Anyone else here done something like this before?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

^^^^^

I've really wanted another kit for small gigs that I occasionally do but when I bought my new Ludwig set with the oversized kick, I decided I would eventually just buy a 18" floor tom to match my kit and get one of those mounts that let you turn the tom into a small kick. I'm think though, that for the price of that, I could buy a super cheap shell pack by Gretsch or something similar and have a little club kit.

I've found that hot rods are better for playing quiet than buying a bunch of pads to dampen the drums/cymbals. As for your idea, I've done snare/floor tom/ride/hihat for small things before and while not having a kick kinda sucks, it's fun to focus on what your hands are doing.

Sups
Aug 8, 2007

Jimmy Eat World Hunger

Kodo posted:

Jojo Mayer vid utilizing moeller method. Same idea here - staying relaxed and getting as many bounces out of the stroke as possible: http://youtu.be/oCdb3_TPnQ4

drat! I consider myself rather good (not at the Moeller method, though) and that is really impressive. I'll have to work on this.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
So I got my old drums back:

(click for fuckin' huge)

Well 2 outta 3 ain't bad. Played these when I was 8, it's 20 years later and I never figured out what they were until just now. Ludwig WFL and my badge-seer buddy tells me they're from late 40s, early 50s. Never done any kind of drum restoration but I'm willing to learn on these guys! :3:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I used to drum a bit like 7-8 years ago or so, and I'm kinda thinking about getting some digital drums to try it out again. The local music guy sells Yamaha and I was kind of looking at getting the DTX450K set since it seems like an affordable piece of kit (Not in the best financial situation right now so it's gonna take months of saving to get extra money)
Should I save up for that or just save up even more until I can get a 502 series since it has the 502 drum module? It's 400€ more for the cheapest 502 kit though, but if I get into drumming again I guess the 502 module will be better in the long run?

I would have my old kit lying around somewhere, but it's acoustic and I don't have anywhere to play it :(

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Hello Drums and Percussion thread. My band has been using glockenspiel samples for a song and well, we really want to replace the computer with a real instrument.

My first question: what special equipment/techniques will we need to mic it for live play?

Second: what are some quality models? Something good enough to be played live, but not top of the line as it is intended for occasional use. That being said I'd like it to be at least two octave range. Where do I start looking?

Third: what would my drummer need to mount one in his kit? (I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I am a dumb baby when it comes to drums)

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

Ericadia posted:

Hello Drums and Percussion thread. My band has been using glockenspiel samples for a song and well, we really want to replace the computer with a real instrument.

My first question: what special equipment/techniques will we need to mic it for live play?

Second: what are some quality models? Something good enough to be played live, but not top of the line as it is intended for occasional use. That being said I'd like it to be at least two octave range. Where do I start looking?

Third: what would my drummer need to mount one in his kit? (I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I am a dumb baby when it comes to drums)

Have a look at these beautiful babies. I'm going to bet they are all completely out of your price range, except maybe the 2.5 yamaha concert band bells. All of these are, obviously, of high quality.

You can get away with using child glockenspiels (because it's all, you know, precious and cute). I've seen performers use individual notes so that they only have the bells they use for performance (not sure where to get those). You might try looking for orff instrument bells - but those come in a box configuration and might not be compact enough.

As for mounting? Better just to get a tray, those things are heavy; but then again I'm a traditionalist. I'm sure there's a way to mount a glockenspiel but it'll require some DIY. If there's a will there's a way.

Kodo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 24, 2013

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Kodo posted:

Have a look at these beautiful babies. I'm going to bet they are all completely out of your price range, except maybe the 2.5 yamaha concert band bells. All of these are, obviously, of high quality.

You can get away with using child glockenspiels (because it's all, you know, precious and cute). I've seen performers use individual notes so that they only have the bells they use for performance (not sure where to get those). You might try looking for orff instrument bells - but those come in a box configuration and might not be compact enough.

As for mounting? Better just to get a tray, those things are heavy; but then again I'm a traditionalist. I'm sure there's a way to mount a glockenspiel but it'll require some DIY.
Thanks for the tip on the Yamaha, that is pretty nice looking (and you are absolutely right about the price range). We figured something so amazing wouldn't come cheap, but it never hurts to hope right?

quote:

If there's a will there's a way.
:allears:

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

organburner posted:

I used to drum a bit like 7-8 years ago or so, and I'm kinda thinking about getting some digital drums to try it out again. The local music guy sells Yamaha and I was kind of looking at getting the DTX450K set since it seems like an affordable piece of kit (Not in the best financial situation right now so it's gonna take months of saving to get extra money)
Should I save up for that or just save up even more until I can get a 502 series since it has the 502 drum module? It's 400€ more for the cheapest 502 kit though, but if I get into drumming again I guess the 502 module will be better in the long run?

I would have my old kit lying around somewhere, but it's acoustic and I don't have anywhere to play it :(

I don't anything about electronic kits, only had a chance to play on them a few times. I'd recommend the 502 over the 450 simply because the rubber pads of the 450 are poo. Of course, YMMV. If you can go to the shop and try them out; otherwise it's difficult to gauge what would be right for you.

Just be aware that no matter how good the electric kit is, it will never replicate the sound and feel of acoustic. If you're thinking about moving over to acoustic it might be better to find a space to play or at least plan a way to start practicing on acoustic (building a soundproof booth :cool:). That said electrics are great for practice and useful for particular styles so be open to that.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Kodo posted:

I don't anything about electronic kits, only had a chance to play on them a few times. I'd recommend the 502 over the 450 simply because the rubber pads of the 450 are poo. Of course, YMMV. If you can go to the shop and try them out; otherwise it's difficult to gauge what would be right for you.

Just be aware that no matter how good the electric kit is, it will never replicate the sound and feel of acoustic. If you're thinking about moving over to acoustic it might be better to find a space to play or at least plan a way to start practicing on acoustic (building a soundproof booth :cool:). That said electrics are great for practice and useful for particular styles so be open to that.

Thanks, my buddy might be able to hook me up with a place to play on weekends if the stars align, so I might actually get access to an acoustic set. Crossing my fingers here.

How worried do I need to be about electronic kits not keeping up with my playing? I'd be playing mostly NWOBHM so it's not insane dual bass drumming or anything but someone told me that electronic kits can be bad about keeping up with the beats (Though this could be outdated info by now)
Definitely looking towards moving into a place a bit more remote so I can get a(nother) acoustic kit of my own at some point.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

organburner posted:

Thanks, my buddy might be able to hook me up with a place to play on weekends if the stars align, so I might actually get access to an acoustic set. Crossing my fingers here.

How worried do I need to be about electronic kits not keeping up with my playing? I'd be playing mostly NWOBHM so it's not insane dual bass drumming or anything but someone told me that electronic kits can be bad about keeping up with the beats (Though this could be outdated info by now)
Definitely looking towards moving into a place a bit more remote so I can get a(nother) acoustic kit of my own at some point.

Seems to work out for Tom Lang: Blastbeat demonstration on roland electric kit

Some of Tom Lang's thoughts on acoustic v. electronic: thoughts

It's great if you can use your buddy's place to practice on the weekend, but it's only a stop gap measure. You will have to eventually be able to practice every day (especially if you will be playing metal) and finding a place let's you do that will be one of your first priorities. As for any advice on metal drumming, I'm not a metal drummer so I don't know but something something something rudiments. But best of luck and happy drumming! :rimshot: (I'm saddened this is the only drumming emoticon available)

Kodo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 29, 2013

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

organburner posted:

You won't have any issues with electronic kits keeping up with your playing, even the shittiest cheap kits are good and spiting out a sound the instant you hit the pads. Some of the lower end models have limited polyphony (which is still in the range of 64 or so events) so if you hit a cymbal and then do massively quick snare roll you might find the cymbal noise ends prematurely as the unit fills it's buffer with snare hits, but this will only appear on certain cheap kits in limited scenarios. Anything made by Roland or Yamaha won't have this sort of fault.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Thanks guys, guess it's time to start saving up for dat DTX522K

Is there some good drumming theory stuff on the internet by the way? I'm looking at the videos linked in the OP and they aren't exactly helpful without drums. If there's something I can do without drums and without buying any books (I'm kind of in a lovely place economically right now, though it will be sorted in a few months) that'd be great.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

organburner posted:

Thanks guys, guess it's time to start saving up for dat DTX522K

Is there some good drumming theory stuff on the internet by the way? I'm looking at the videos linked in the OP and they aren't exactly helpful without drums. If there's something I can do without drums and without buying any books (I'm kind of in a lovely place economically right now, though it will be sorted in a few months) that'd be great.

How poor is poor? At the least if you're willing to part with $40-50, get a practice pad, a stand, and some sticks. If not - well, there's always buckets.

As for theory, what exactly are you referring to? Drum theory to me seems like a catch-all term for any number of topics, mostly in regards to reading.

Kodo fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 30, 2013

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah definitely get a practice pad, personally I don't use a stand though, I just have the pad sitting on my lap and I tap away while watching TV or something. I use a moongel pad so it is very quiet, but prior to that I glued a square of polyurethane foam to a normal practice pad, this gave the benefit of silent practice but also having multiple different playing surfaces is really beneficial because on a standard drum kit no two drums or cymbals will have the same physical response. The foam/moongel makes the wrists work a lot more because the sticks lose almost all their rebound and gives great control especially when doing doubles on the larger drums with their inherently lower bounce. I only play an acoustic kit when I take my lessons but I have no trouble doing rolls and ruffs on even the biggest floor toms due to the time I have spent with these surfaces.

http://www.drumlessons.com/drum-lessons/ is a good resource for drum theory and rudiment tutorials, plenty of stuff you can do with just a pad. You can also buy a Hansenfutz which is essentially the foot version of a practice pad, I had a couple but eventually sold them off because they kept slipping forwards on my floorboards and plus the feel wasn't really that great as it was just resistance; a large block of soft foam under your foot would probably achieve much the same results. Since I had a spare kick pedal after upgrading to doublekicks I turned it into a silent practice pedal by removing the beater and rim clamp and putting a small strip of foam between the footboard and base to prevent the clacking of metal on metal, this works much better and feels practically the same as a normal kick pedal and integrates nicely into my silent practice setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Well, I got some drumsticks from my parents and have a round stool thing I'm gonna use as a practice pad for now.
I'll check out that drumlessons site as well.