Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Bah why is it cheaper to buy a whole loving e-kit than just a couple pieces and a brain!!! It's maddening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Duke Chin posted:

lol this is *still* happening?
sand casted piece of poo poo pedal board

Granted this was probably 15yrs ago and I used to be an extremely foot heavy rock drummer. Still shouldn’t break in half like it did.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Literally A Person posted:

Bah why is it cheaper to buy a whole loving e-kit than just a couple pieces and a brain!!! It's maddening.

Entry level edrums have gotten so much cheaper and better in the past, like, five years. You can buy a full mesh set for like $300. Great price point for drumming beginners.

I’d still only recommend Roland and Yamaha for people who want them for the long haul but it’s nice that you can get in the door cheaply.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AndrewP posted:

Entry level edrums have gotten so much cheaper and better in the past, like, five years. You can buy a full mesh set for like $300. Great price point for drumming beginners.

It's cray. I see how cheap these kits are and seriously can't believe it.

AndrewP posted:

I’d still only recommend Roland and Yamaha for people who want them for the long haul but it’s nice that you can get in the door cheaply.

This is my problem. I am looking long haul but literally only want to supplement my acoustic kit.

Infuriating.

Thinking about maybe piecing what I need out on eBay or something.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thinking about maybe piecing what I need out on eBay or something.

This is what I ended up doing over several years. Pretty much morphed my Alesis Nitro kit into a Roland TD-17 kit a few pieces at a time. There are several sellers on ebay that buy full kits and sell all the individual pieces separately for way cheaper than you could get elsewhere.

The only bit of my kit that is still Alesis now is the frame.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Enos Cabell posted:

There are several sellers on ebay that buy full kits and sell all the individual pieces separately for way cheaper than you could get elsewhere.

Okay, now I'm going to look there a bit more seriously. Thanks for the tidbit.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've been playing my new to me acoustic kit almost exclusively since I got it a couple weeks ago. I think I played on the Simmons ekit once.
I found out that my pedal technique was sufficient for a trigger, but really bad on a real bass drum. I still suck at heel up but my heel down toe control has gotten much better at hitting consistently and controlling rebound.
I want to upgrade the Meinl HCS hi hats on this kit to something a little nicer. I made an offer on a mint New Beats hi hat set on reverb just now.

Edit: also I didn't buy another DW5000 after all. I just stole it from my ekit lol.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Maaan I wish I had the space to play an acoustic kit. I miss it. One day, when I move out of the city.

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
Hello drum and percussion thread. I normally post on the guitar thread but I stumbled upon some bongos at savers.

After doing some research on them, I’m thinking they’re late 70s / early 80s pieces, possibly made in California.

I am tempted to sell them to someone that would actually use them. However, as a percussion instrument they seem to be the perfect size to keep around and futz with and they seem to be a lot better than any throwaway beginner instrument I would find.

There’s a tiny hole on one of the heads. Everything sounds good to my untrained ears and I see no cracks or missing hardware (other than some of the plastic covers on the bottom bolts).

So I’m asking the thread for advice: sell or keep?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If you like weed, def keep

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I mean, I'd keep them, bongos are fun. Actually I should get a cheap set of bongos for my baby to bang on.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'd keep, JUST IN CASE. Especially if the only damage is to the heads. If the shells or rims had damage that would be a bigger deal, but the heads are replaceable and now you've got like-new bongos :yeah:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

This is what I ended up doing over several years. Pretty much morphed my Alesis Nitro kit into a Roland TD-17 kit a few pieces at a time. There are several sellers on ebay that buy full kits and sell all the individual pieces separately for way cheaper than you could get elsewhere.

The only bit of my kit that is still Alesis now is the frame.

Yeah also with Roland dont buy the cheaper kit in the range, realllly stretch for the best model, because when you want to upgrade its going to cost you 2x what you would have spent on the more expensive kit in the first place (me, buying a TD-17KV and spending stupid money to get it up to/past KVX spec :hmmno: )

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
Dang it, I think I’m gonna keep the bongos.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

burdt posted:

Dang it, I think I’m gonna keep the bongos.

:drum:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Could I get some help picking a starter drum setup for a friend? I know nothing about drums but he mentioned that he has wanted to play them since he was a kid, but his parents wouldn't let him because of the sound. Bad timing with the gift but he is currently living with them again. So I'm thinking one of those electronic rubber pad setups would be ideal. Are there good options for $200 or under? If not, how high would I need to go for a decent beginner kit.

e: Looks like getting a used one is about the only option, and then it would be a rare find for a decent one under $400

goodness fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 15, 2023

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

goodness posted:

Could I get some help picking a starter drum setup for a friend? I know nothing about drums but he mentioned that he has wanted to play them since he was a kid, but his parents wouldn't let him because of the sound. Bad timing with the gift but he is currently living with them again. So I'm thinking one of those electronic rubber pad setups would be ideal. Are there good options for $200 or under? If not, how high would I need to go for a decent beginner kit.

e: Looks like getting a used one is about the only option, and then it would be a rare find for a decent one under $400

This was posted a few pages ago and is exactly $400 and comes with literally everything you need to get started including a 90 day membership to drumeo dot com which is a prolific drum teaching outfit online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQWVzHX0Vlc

It's been out for a minute or two so you may be able to find used ones out there for cheaper.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've been seeing a lot of decent or even nice used ekits for sale on CL and FB marketplace for peanuts.
I had been considering selling my Simmons set that I shelled out $1k for not even 11 months ago but it's just not worth it.
I've been playing the acoustic kit almost exclusively but it is sometimes nice to play quietly. The problem is the space I guess

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I found a good channel for levelling uphttps://www.youtube.com/@love_to_learn_drums

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Bonzo posted:

I found a good channel for levelling uphttps://www.youtube.com/@love_to_learn_drums

emma is awesome! highly recommend

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anyone mess around with the Yam DTX-PRO module? It might be a winner for me but I'm wondering if I can feed it my own samples.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

WOW! I want one and yes it looks like you can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5B0DJMims

edit: I think we may be talking about two different products?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bonzo posted:

WOW! I want one and yes it looks like you can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln5B0DJMims

edit: I think we may be talking about two different products?

Yes, but I also looked at that pad and it seems to be cool as hell. Just not quite what I was looking for lol.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://youtube.com/shorts/1Rr_m7bO89E?si=hh6OXhO4zRQZxX1m

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Welp, I did it. Ended up getting a whole e-kit just to use three pieces. Gonna have to eBay off the other like 100 pieces. Went with the Yamaha DTX Pro module in some 5 piece kit+cymbals. Pumped that it ends up netting me a kick tower to use for my left foot instead of a weighted actuator, I can just use one of my spare kicks.

loving can't wait.

Anyone else score some drum poo poo this holiday?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

No drum stuff but I'm thinking a synth item might be coming this weekend from the wife for my birthday. We also just claimed our own rooms in the house for our offices so now my kit and other musical things are in the same room so hopefully I end up playing more.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I got my 11-month old a little baby “drum kit” that comes with sticks. Gotta start them early 😎

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I Might Be Adam posted:

No drum stuff but I'm thinking a synth item might be coming this weekend from the wife for my birthday. We also just claimed our own rooms in the house for our offices so now my kit and other musical things are in the same room so hopefully I end up playing more.

A space to have your stuff all together is an awesome holiday miracle. I'm almost there :shepicide:

AndrewP posted:

I got my 11-month old a little baby “drum kit” that comes with sticks. Gotta start them early 😎

Kid's gonna wail. Got sick drum poo poo for Christmas before they can walk.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

A space to have your stuff all together is an awesome holiday miracle. I'm almost there :shepicide:

Finally moved to a place big enough for my kit to be set up a year ago and it took until now for me to finally upgrade some gear and move my desk and computer into my music room. I'm hoping if nothing else, I'll decide to start playing when the urge hits instead of having to move a laptop into another room to start recording ideas.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I Might Be Adam posted:

Finally moved to a place big enough for my kit to be set up a year ago and it took until now for me to finally upgrade some gear and move my desk and computer into my music room. I'm hoping if nothing else, I'll decide to start playing when the urge hits instead of having to move a laptop into another room to start recording ideas.

I'm in the middle of doing something similar. My wife and I have been rethinking our space in our weird little outbuilding and it ended up netting me a large playing/recording space where I used to just barely be able to fit my kit. I am adjusting and having to figure out how to set this poo poo up in a way I really love.

We should post some dang drum caves ITT.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I'm in the middle of doing something similar. My wife and I have been rethinking our space in our weird little outbuilding and it ended up netting me a large playing/recording space where I used to just barely be able to fit my kit. I am adjusting and having to figure out how to set this poo poo up in a way I really love.

We should post some dang drum caves ITT.

Hell yeah. I’ll post up something when I get my space a bit more presentable.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've got everything set up in our large living room.
There are also my guitars, bass, banjo, etc.

Close up of the drums area

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

That is a kick rear end space! But my feet got cold just looking at the pics, you should get some nice rugs which would help dampen the sound of the kit.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Excellent point and it's kind of bad that I haven't thought of that myself. I don't get cold feet, but the sound could certainly be better.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Still a mess but slowly my space is coming together:

It's also our wood/paint shop and storage area so carving out this big of a space was a real treat. Can't really tell from the picture but I am like 15' away from my kit. It's p huge. I could fit a nine piece orchestra in this thing. Working on getting it organized a little bit everyday! :stoked:

Little close up of the kit, the shells are early 60's Olympics. That Dream Bliss crash is the greatest crash cymbal I have ever heard and makes a kickass LOUD ride as well:

MORE DRUM CAVES!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Great kit. Those cymbals own. Do your rear end a favor and get a nice cushy throne

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AndrewP posted:

Great kit. Those cymbals own. Do your rear end a favor and get a nice cushy throne

For serious. I have been using this metal ABOMINATION since I started playing and it seems like every time I decide "today is the day I'm gonna buy that throne" I end up getting something else that makes noise instead. I will say, I've sat in worse. The butt carve out is like made for my rear end so I can sit on that bad boy for a couple hours at a time comfortably but, yeah, I need a drat throne badly.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

okay

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Love sparkle blue tom just hanging out trying not to look out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Got friend the Titan 50 edrum kit. He was very stoked and set it up as soon as he got home. Bro said he could finally move on from air drumming everywhere. A new drummer is hopefully born.