Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Any advice for learning or improving on doing fills? My fills are doo-doo garbage that all feel the same to me and always start halfway through a measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Brotein_Shake posted:

Any advice for learning or improving on doing fills? My fills are doo-doo garbage that all feel the same to me and always start halfway through a measure.

Add some spacing or less 8th note patterns in your fills. Also try carrying your fill into the 2 of the next measure. That's a fun way to start hearing fills divided up.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I recently paired up with a guitarist who plays a double neck with a loop setup in a mathrock/post-rock style (I'm still not clear on the differences between them). I've been listening to a Toe station on Pandora on and off for the last few years, but was wondering if I could get any advice from y'all on coming up with busier drum parts that are both melodic and not overly repetitive? Currently he has material in 3/4 and 4/4, and we're hashing something out in 15/8.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Brotein_Shake posted:

Check out some Cars songs. Bye Bye Love and Let the Good Times Roll have a lot of examples of simple yet varied fills.

I've been meaning to post in here about my new kit, I picked up a Tama Imperialstar about a month ago, been having lots of fun so far. Been working my way through the free songs they have on onlinedrummer.com, seems like a good source for drum sheet music.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

Can someone give me a reason why if I do audio recordings of myself with my phone, the track can't synchronize with the song file I have? It's not like I'm perfect all the time but I'm playing along with the song and as such I can hear the beat and it shouldn't be possible for me get off based on that. Despite that fact, I always end up falling out of phase in my recording with the song when I try to sync them up and have to change the speed of my drum recording, and it's really annoying.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Thank god it's not just me :) I'm trying to figure out the best thread to ask this exact thing. It's got to be something with the way the 2 files are encoded/played back or something weird like that.

I'm trying to record my drums, then lay the original song under them so people can hear it and follow along. Like I'll play along with Sunday Bloody Sunday, which starts off with 4 snare hits, so it should be trivial to sync up the first note, which it is. But my playing immediately starts floating noticeably off beat which is not happening with what I'm hearing in my headphones. And when I play the last note of the song it's a good 1-2 seconds after the same note in the song file. Like you I'm not great but I'm not THAT bad, what the gently caress is going on here?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
My old Galaxy S2 had a drift / recorded just slightly off to where things would get out of place over time. Cell phones a lovely camcorder make. :shrug:

For multi angles now I use my go pro as primary, S5 as one angle and the old, drifty S2 as another cut away angle. When poo poo starts getting off on the S2 I just cut back to primary or S5 and resynch the S2 on the timeline in the background.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think it could be sample rate differences in the wav files, like if you recorded the drums initially in 44.1khz and then the other stuff in a 48khz session the drums will gradually desync with the other tracks.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've tried recording my drums using a mic on my PC and Audacity, then going back and putting the original song as a second track. They both show as having the same stats (44.1 khz etc).

The way I've been doing it is I load the songs onto my tablet and listen to them on my kit through headphones, could it be something like playing along to the files as MP3 then trying to sync them back in Audacity (which effectively makes them WAV files ? )? I guess I could try converting a song to WAV then putting that on my tablet... I can try it this evening and report back any findings.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Your tablet might be playing whatever you're playing along to too fast/slow.

Can you just run a long rear end headphone cord to wherever you're recording your drums to and play the song from there? Keeping your audio sources in the same place would hopefully eliminate one variable... :shrug:

Basically: put that song on the second track like you've been doing and just not arming record on that track and play along to that while you record your drums on the other track.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Takes No Damage posted:

I've tried recording my drums using a mic on my PC and Audacity, then going back and putting the original song as a second track. They both show as having the same stats (44.1 khz etc).

It's possible that audacity is converting to 44.1 from 48k on import. So if you created a session in 44.1k to record the drums, and then imported a 48k music file, a sample rate conversion may be taking place to conform it and thus you would see 44.1 when checking the file info in the session. I'm not familiar with audacity specifically and how it handles sample rate mismatches but this would be the case in pro tools and I assume there is similar functionality.

Otherwise though, like Duke Chin said, the safest bet is to do everything from the same source with a long headphone cable or whatever. It will save you a lot of headache in the long run.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

thunderspanks posted:

It's possible that audacity is converting to 44.1 from 48k on import. So if you created a session in 44.1k to record the drums, and then imported a 48k music file, a sample rate conversion may be taking place to conform it and thus you would see 44.1 when checking the file info in the session. I'm not familiar with audacity specifically and how it handles sample rate mismatches but this would be the case in pro tools and I assume there is similar functionality.

Reaper does this exact same thing and will show a little "RESAMPLED FROM [XX.X]k" in the corner of each object of every track effected by the project rate conversion. I get it all the time as a buddy I record drums for frequently lives in 44.1 while I'm usually up higher.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thunderspanks posted:

Otherwise though, like Duke Chin said, the safest bet is to do everything from the same source with a long headphone cable or whatever. It will save you a lot of headache in the long run.

I think this is my next step, doing it my way with a WAV file made no difference. It must be something with how my tablet is playing back the file, it's some .001 BPM slower or something that makes me drift off beat over time when I compare back to the original song file. Now I just need a 20ft male to female stereo cable and I'm all set :v: Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know if I ever get things straightened out.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Takes No Damage posted:

Now I just need a 20ft male to female stereo cable and I'm all set :v: Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know if I ever get things straightened out.

20? That's it?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5591&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5593&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5594&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5595&seq=1&format=2 <-- :chanpop:
:v:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 19, 2015

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I joined the Navy about 2 years ago, and I was really worried that this would be the point in my life where I became one of those guys who "used to play." Being on a ship, away from civilization means a lack of room and opportunity to play. I came to the conclusion that if that happens it's my own drat fault, and I need be creative if I want to keep playing.

So I figured out a solution...

My suitcase kit. I found an instructable detailing a build for a similar kit (its the first thing you'll find googling the topic) but I found the guys ideas a bit lacking. It definitely feels like you're playing a suitcase in drums clothing... So I made some modifications.

First I mounted my ride and a 10in timbale to the exterior of the case using gibralter braces. They make about a million configurations of braces, so it just took a lot of shopping around to get the exact ones I needed.

The only stand is for my hats. My 10 inch snare is on a brace mounted to that stand. I keep an old white shirt on it to temper the volume a bit.

Next, and probably most important is the bass drum. The original guide called for a plastic case with a beater made from a rubber ball. I had no luck finding plastic cases, and from the videos I saw, they really didn't sound that great anyhow. I tried just beating against the case, but it sounded awful.

I cut a hole in the side of the case mounted an unused 14in snare, using the lugs on the resonant side.

I then used a gate hinge, cut the length and a bit of rubber cut from the sole of an old shoe for the pedal mount.

Everything but the cymbals fit inside the case with room to spare.

I've got a few more mods I want to make. The boom arm that holds the ride is definitely carrying lots of weight.... Right now I'm wedging some cymbal felts under it to distribute the weight, but I'd like a more permanent solution. I also want to replace the handle... This thing is heavy and I feel like I need something stronger. I'm also looking for a cheap and lightweight throne to throw in there.

The best thing about this build is that I've been able to use it a ton on the ship. I do this to get away from work, but I've even been able to put some of the events I've played in on my eval... Somehow skipping work to play music has helped my career.

Edit- fixed images

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 20, 2015

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

At that length wouldn't there be serious signal degradation? Good golly

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Kodo posted:

At that length wouldn't there be serious signal degradation? Good golly

:shrug: It's just a headphone feed. You might have to amp it up after a certain length depending on your headphones, sure. But I'd only worry about cable lengths on sends, not receives, for low-stress home recording and play-alongs.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I joined the Navy about 2 years ago, and I was really worried that this would be the point in my life where I became one of those guys who "used to play." Being on a ship, away from civilization means a lack of room and opportunity to play. I came to the conclusion that if that happens it's my own drat fault, and I need be creative if I want to keep playing.

The images finally loaded so I'm double posting just to point how rad this is. :golfclap:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ That is pretty neat. My drum instructor has something similar, he likes to take it to New Orleans with a guitar friend and set up a little miniband on street corners. His just has the bass beater hitting the side of the case itself though, I'll mention your solution to him next lesson.

I looked at those types of cables, but almost all of them had a bunch of reviews about the connectors getting contact issues, so I wanted to try and buy local in case I needed to return/exchange stuff. Went to a Guitar Center and picked up a 12ft headphone extension and a converter to go from 1/4" to 3.5mm jacks. Then I spent probably an hour jacking around in Audacity trying to figure out how to get it to play an mp3, record off the Line In but to NOT play what the mic picks up (hint: go in to Windows' Volume Mixer and mute the mic input).

By recording like this I was able to play along with a song, then go back and mix the recording in with the original file, and all the sync issues seem to be gone. So it must be something with how my tablet (and cell phone) were playing the mp3s. Now to head over to the home recording thread and see what's the best mic I can get for $60. By starting to try and record stuff I've fallen into a really deep rabbit hole haven't I guys? :v:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 20, 2015

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Duke Chin posted:

The images finally loaded so I'm double posting just to point how rad this is. :golfclap:

Heh thanks... Posting from my phone using the awful app... Its IMG tags didn't work right for some reason.

The front of the case sure is ugly... My plan is to cover it in the fuzzy side of Velcro and stick patches all over it. Pilots always have rad patches and it will be an excuse to try to get some off of them... Plus it will be a cool take on the stickers all over a suitcase thing.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Heh thanks... Posting from my phone using the awful app... Its IMG tags didn't work right for some reason.

The front of the case sure is ugly... My plan is to cover it in the fuzzy side of Velcro and stick patches all over it. Pilots always have rad patches and it will be an excuse to try to get some off of them... Plus it will be a cool take on the stickers all over a suitcase thing.

That's a neat idea. Wait, no, steal some of their nomex flight suits and cover it in that and apply velcro as needed per patch. They won't mind, right?!? :v:

I'm halfway tempted to build one of these with all the odds and ends I've got lying around and grab a couple cheap toms off of craigslist. The one thing I'd want to try is to cut a 14-16" tom in ½ and do sorta like you did with mounting it into the suitcase - except port it through and put the other ½ of the chopped tom on the front with a ported hole - thereby making the whole suitcase a resonating thing. And just make removable covers for inside the suitcase like you did to protect the back side of the kick drum head.

Oh and btw - you are now 100% required to post some video or audio of this thing in use!

Takes No Damage posted:

Now to head over to the home recording thread and see what's the best mic I can get for $60. By starting to try and record stuff I've fallen into a really deep rabbit hole haven't I guys? :v:

Hah, probably. For $60 you won't find much, though, unless you can find a person selling an SM-58 for cheap on CL

edit: Rabbit hole indeed: I don't want to even think about how much money is sitting in my "dining room"...

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 20, 2015

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I'll probably be playing tomorrow... I'll record a little... Also I'll see about stealing a flight suit.

The whole build cost me around $250. I had the snare, cymbals, hat stand and pedal already. Getting the snare and tom new definitely increased my cost... I could have Craig's listed it for cheaper but I didn't feel like putting in the time.

I'd definitely recommend giving the build a try... It would be great for small club gigs where a full set may get in the way and the lower volume would make sense, or a take anywhere kit that you can just keep in your trunk for impromptu jams.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I love it! Do you have any recordings? I have GOT to hear this kit in action.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

If you can make this a little fancier and work out a solution for the areas under stress you mentioned, you should totally start selling these. They're like the epitome of the tiny, portable bop kit.

Duke Chin posted:

edit: Rabbit hole indeed: I don't want to even think about how much money is sitting in my "dining room"...

If I ever get a house, this is probably gonna happen to every room except the kitchen, and maaaybe a bedroom. That's frickin' gorgeous. Did you soundproof the walls, or do your neighbors hate/love you?

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

RandomCheese posted:

I think it could be sample rate differences in the wav files, like if you recorded the drums initially in 44.1khz and then the other stuff in a 48khz session the drums will gradually desync with the other tracks.

Well, I'm recording WAV files with 44.1KHz and I think most of my music is MP3s at either 320 or V0 and 44.1KHz. I tried different qualities but it doesn't seem to matter.

drat gimme like 7 of those the building i drum in is on the other side of campus

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Jazz Marimba posted:

If I ever get a house, this is probably gonna happen to every room except the kitchen, and maaaybe a bedroom. That's frickin' gorgeous. Did you soundproof the walls, or do your neighbors hate/love you?

I didn't do a dern thing - though I need to treat the (low) ceiling and bass traps - possibly rearrange the other side of the room. It's not "bad" but it could be way better. Fortunately, though, I have everyone's back yards butting up against my house so there's some distance between all of us and the neighbor who lives closest is a super rad guy who basically told me to "just keep playing, maaaaaaaaan." :v:

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Suit case set owns.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Brotein_Shake posted:

Suit case set owns.

Thanks.

I just watched whiplash. Everyone should see it, then immediately go practice until their hands and sticks and heads are soaked in blood.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Was at a weirdo antique/junk store and came dangerously, dangerously close to buying an old suitcase today THANKS A LOT JESUS

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp for SCHEDULING REASONS I have to bow out of my Taiko class, but after like 2 months of doing it I think it's super awesome and everyone should try it, even if it's just attending a one hour workshop. Still plan to go through with my dumb idea of building a wine barrel Taiko drum this summer if I can find the time, so I'll probably post progress pics if it gets to that stage. If I can find one that doesn't conflict with other stuff I'll definitely go back to banging on a big drum weekly too.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Duke Chin posted:

Was at a weirdo antique/junk store and came dangerously, dangerously close to buying an old suitcase today THANKS A LOT JESUS

Do it. I'd recommend getting a real wooden case. They're pretty common. If you're looking at plastic ones be careful... They tend to be laminated cardboard. I wasted $10 that way.

I'd also recommend something other than a hinge to make the bass pedal mount. A flat piece of metal can provide stability when the weight of cymbals and toms get added... I'm going to weld my hinge in place when I get a chance. The thing has a tendency to fall forward as it currently stands.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reporting back after getting advice RE: recording my kit from a single mic. I ended up going with the Tascam DR-05 over the comparable Zoom model, set things up as suggested (3' in front of the bass drum, about eye level) and went to town. Worked out pretty well I think, everything seems to be more or less balanced, and after some EQ trickery it actually sounds half decent (compared to the raw recording at least).

So here's the first in hopefully a long line of drum covers, suggestions always welcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viqwJkfgpH4

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Thanks.

I just watched whiplash. Everyone should see it, then immediately go practice until their hands and sticks and heads are soaked in blood.

That suitcase drumkit is loving awesome and I'd love to know exactly how you did it!
Whiplash was loving amazing as well, I wish I could practice more than I can right now (only drumkit I can really use is a few kilometers away and can't really go and play whenever I want to beyond when my band is rehearsing or at midnight :v)

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
Haven't posted here in way too long. Just upgraded some cymbals on my two kits:

(You can barely see my new Apollo ride on the far right of the second kit. It's raised way up. Ah, the problems of a drummer getting an overhead shot of their kit.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I always get so confused when I see drummers who have so much to play on, personally I think two hanging toms and one floortom + 2 crash + 1 ride & hihat (plus snare and kick) is the perfect amount of drums to play on.
I haven't played for a very long time though (I think this summer marks my 3rd year of drumming, and my 2nd year of playing in a band as a drummer) so this might change, how long have you've been playing?

Speaking of which, I really feel that I should start learning actual rudimentaries, I know paradiddles but beyond that I'm sort of lost.
I think I got the proper way of playing (using my wrists and having the stick alongside the arm) and that I got my sitting down, I never get a sore back after band practice (we play 2-3 hours at least).

I'm also excercising fairly regularly to keep my body fresh, but beyond that I'm not sure where to look. My city doesn't have any drum teachers so I've only played and played and played with my band/s to learn how to play, so I might have picked up some bad habits along the way even if I might not feel the effect yet.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
has anyone had any experience with Pearl's ePro kits?
http://www.e-prolive.com/#/videos

I picked up a used one and its not that bad.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Greggster posted:

I think two hanging toms and one floortom + 2 crash + 1 ride & hihat (plus snare and kick) is the perfect amount of drums to play on.

Perfect for you is the key thing.

I like a simple kit too. I play a 4 piece (with hh, 2 crashes and a ride), but everyone has different tastes and different needs to suit what they want to play.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

tnimark posted:

Perfect for you is the key thing.

I like a simple kit too. I play a 4 piece (with hh, 2 crashes and a ride), but everyone has different tastes and different needs to suit what they want to play.

Yeah I'm not saying it is wrong, I just wonder if the whole getting more stuff to the drums is a thing that happens with time or if it just merely a stylistic choice, like getting effect pedals for your guitar.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
e: ^^^ hah yeah, pretty much. roto toms, octobans, splash cymbals, stacks - flanger, reverb, phaser, overdrive. :v: Different sounds for different pleasures.

---

I have 3 kits (two acoustic, one v-drum that never leaves home) and I don't even want to know how many random cymbals from over the years, and inside of those two acoustic kits one is just a 3 piece and the other is a 7 piece that frequently gets used as a 4 piece (one rack, two floor) and as little as a hi-hat, crash and ride to more-than-I'd-like-to-haul around.

It literally, literally just depends on what type of music/gig it is I'm playing. :shrug:

Use a billion pieces, use one - just make sure it fits the tune(s).

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I'm always surprised how much fun playing on a big kit can be but then I remember how having all that gear is only fun to play, never to tear down, set up, and transport.