Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

For me it just comes down to wood type and nylon/wood tip. I find that hickory tends to splinter and get "chewed up" after heavy use while oak will just straight up crack. They both wear down similarly but I like the feel of oak the most. Size and tip is all about personal preference. If you're a hard hitter, you don't need 2Bs or even 5Bs. Try something a little lighter to compensate for your heavy hitting until you learn more control. For years, I played with 5B nylon tip and I wondered why I was cracking cymbals. That wasn't a good stick for a hard hitter like myself. I also learned how not to try to kill the cymbal on every hit. I've settled on 5A Oak Regular tip over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

So, I'm doing a quick design project and decided to look at exploring some ways to improve the way percussionists interact with hand percussion like shakers and maracas. As a drummer, I've always wanted a better way to use shakers/maracas with the drum set whether it be a better way to store the hand percussion on the drum set for easier transitioning or an easier way to hold hand percussion while also holding a drumstick.

I don't know a lot of percussionists locally so I'm casting a wide net with this. If anyone feels like answering a few questions, that would be great:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QKSPN2X

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I have no idea if this is an indication of DW's hardware quality or my ridiculously heavy bass drum foot work but I've gone through at least 3 DW5000 single pedals. One of them I straight up broke the footboard in half. The other is just really beat up that I keep as a spare. I like the way they feel so I'll probably continue using them. I also broke the poo poo out of a two-leg DW hihat stand with the giant plate for the foot pedal. I switched to a compact jazz style hi-hat stand that isn't nearly as heavy duty or bulky and it's been fine. Maybe I cooled down the playing style over the years. Who knows.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Duke Chin posted:

Related enough I guess: I feel every year or two I raise my seat up more and more. When I'm 60 I'll probably have phone books jammed underneath.

I'm 6'5" so I've always had this issue but as I've gotten older (and fatter) I've raised the stool even more to avoid feeling like I'm squatting.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

They're finally listening to people that don't like the drat rack systems for e-drums but if you have a live kit, having to remove/replace e-drum heads with regular drum heads would get tiring. Especially the snare considering it takes me several sessions to make adjustments to the head to get the right sound or at least convince my brain it's the right sound. Would hate to go through that every time I wanted to have a e-drum set.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I'm biased because I really hate stadium size concerts but it's always so much better to watch a really great band perform based on their own live abilities. I get it that metal drummers really need those kick triggers because of the style and the fact that you're not going to get consistent hits at that speed. I guess for huge spectacles like Rush on tour, it's just easier to trigger everything and give the fans what they want. Probably less of a headache for the techs too.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Takes No Damage posted:

Hey, sorry lost track of the thread for a while. I'm still working on techniques for upping my single bass pedal speed, lately I've been messing around with the Swivel technique where you swing your heel to each side of the pedal. It seems like the goal is to minimize the vertical movement of the leg and put more of the movement on the foot and ankle, which makes sense.

I'm about 6'2" and yeah as I keep messing around with my bass pedal angles, my toms keep getting farther away :( Any general tips for shopping for drum racks? Eventually I'd like to end up with a mounted medium tom, a mounted large tom, and 2 floor toms, but right now I've just got a small and medium mounted from the bass and one floor tom.

Do you plan on moving/transporting the drums at all? If yes, I would advise against a drum rack because they have to be the dumbest thing ever when it comes to drummers that gig/transport. Unless you have like 16 cymbals and 4 rack toms, they just don't make sense. Just a lot of hardware to do what 3-4 stands can do.

Snare stands and stands with tom arm clamps can solve your problem for mounting toms. Gives you more flexibility in where you want to place them. I love that my ride sits above my bass drum in a 1up 1 down format. Bought a virgin bass drum just for that reason so I wouldn't have any hardware coming out of it.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Buying a flush base hi-hat stand was the best decision. I love not having my hi-hat stand collide with my crash/rack tom stand.

Bonzo posted:

Racks are great for home setup but as others have mentioned, are a nightmare to transport and setup. Unless you have lots of stage room you're not going to be able to fit everything.

Also for some reason I had a loving drum cage back in the 80s and required me to hire someone to help me set it up anytime I played out. And yes I had 4 or 5 rack toms, roto toms, a poo poo ton of cymbals (two chinas for gently caress's sake) and all the other crap that went along with 80s metal.

I remember back in the early 2000s, my band played a local festival and when I got to the gig, I saw them assembling a massive drum riser. It was easily a 12x8 foot riser. Later in the day, I saw the same guy that was assembling it proceed to set up his massive 16 piece drum kit on it... I think he even had a gong.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I remember playing some lovely clubs 15yrs ago and you’d see a pick up truck pull up to the venue with an assembled drum rack in the back. It was always a metal band.

Teenager me thought having 3 rack toms, two crashes, ride, hats, China and 3 splash cymbals was necessary. So glad I don’t lug all that anymore.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

My everything kit. The only thing ridiculous about it is the 20"x24" kick but it fits in the car so its all good.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I was gonna wait to post this once I had some new hardware and a pic of the kit fully set up but I've been real busy and wanted some feedback.

I bought a Gretsch Catalina Jazz shell pack about a month ago for a few reasons. 1) I'm in a house now and have a spare room and wanted a little jazz kit I could practice my jazz stuff on whenever I felt like it instead of driving to my rehearsal space. 2) I've never owned two kits at once so I decided to get something that would contrast my Ludwig Centennial (24 kick, 12 rack, 16 floor) that I mostly use as my live rock kit and is only set up at my rehearsal space. 3) I started playing with some friends in a Beatles cover band and I've had at least 2 gigs now where the Ludwig was just overkill for the space we played in.

A couple things I'm concerned with:

I bought new Evans G1 heads for both toms to get a brighter jazz sound and tuned em up. Worried about this not being great for other applications than Jazz. Will be practicing this weekend with Beatles band to see how it works. All the research I did about this particular kit pointed to using single ply to get the best sound. Anyone have any better results?

The kick riser to allow the pedal beater to hit in the center of the 18" kick pushes the pedal back a bit requiring the beater to over extend to make contact with the head. Playing light jazz hasn't bothered me too much but it's definitely different. Is this something people just get used to playing with or is there a workaround to make it feel more natural?

I also want to get some cheaper cases for this kit if I start using to gig for these Beatles shows. I have Protection Racket for my Ludwigs and they are great but I don't really want to drop half the price of the Gretsch just on cases.

Anyway, here's a pic of the kit after I put it together.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

So pretty much all of my concerns about the new kit vanished after I took it up to my rehearsal space. I always forget how much my rehearsal space has an effect on drum sounds. Kit sounds great. I ended up tuning down the rack a bit to get a more rock sound for Beatles covers. Had a gig outdoors in a small triangle stage and the first thing one of my band mates said when I showed up was "good thing you have that small kit now" because there wasn't a whole lot of room. Our sound guy mic'd everything up and they sounded really great.

Still looking for cases. Unfortunately, drum sizes make it hard to find a set of bags that will work without buying individually. I did find these but from what I understand, they're really not all that good. https://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/humes-berg-catalina-bag/drum-bag-sets

Probably better than nothing because transporting drums with no cases for the first time in like 8 years was real dumb and when you're trying not to scuff up your stuff, it just makes packing the car that much more difficult.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Any recommendations for small space practicing? Just moved, have my jazz kit, nowhere to set it up, in apartment and starting to play with a group. They have a space but it’s a guy’s basement so can’t use it beyond rehearsals with them. I’ve heard of these mesh practice heads but again, no room to set up my kit and that sounds like a pain to swap out every time you gig.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I thought I had seen that practice pad tree before. Honestly I feel like a practice pad and a kick pad would probably do the trick just to practice some coordination before rehearsals

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I rarely wear ear protection or wore ear protection since I started playing in my teens. No major complaints but nowadays I do, especially when I’m in a small room/club and I can feel how loud it is. Wish I made myself do it more when I was younger. Could have prevented me from being an overly hard player attempting to hear my kit over blaring guitars. Ear protection at least let’s you hear yourself a bit better.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Jazz Marimba posted:

ngl I have no need for custom molded in ear monitors, but drat if I don't want a pair because of how cool they look/how cool I feel they'd make me look. I've been trying to convince the cover band to start using backing tracks, but the guitarist hates them :(

I have some no frills shure in-ears that I like. Played with a coverband once and their stage setup was all in-ears and no stage monitors. Weiiird experience.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Sounds like you could def get away with an affordable kids drum set for now especially at his age. Yeah, just turn off the snare and you have another tom.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Enos Cabell posted:

Really stupid question time, but what do you guys like using for footwear? I've got an old pair of running shoes that I use cause they're fairly light, but they are falling apart now and I need to get something else. My normal street shoes feel too heavy when I play.

Always a pair of flat sole adidas or pumas. Chuck Taylor’s work too. Just nothing with too thick of a sole. My giant size 13 foot is already a problem, best to keep the shoe slim and comfortable.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

sebzilla posted:

Seems like that guy could be on for taking Cozy Powell's "most drums played in a minute" record.

https://youtu.be/-FlhtqJtICE

This is dumb as hell and I keep watching it

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Like any hobby, some people collect drum gear. I don’t like having lots of random crap so I’ve slimmed down quite a bit. I knew a guy that no poo poo had probably 5-7 separate kits. Did he play them all? Probably not.

I’ve owned 3 separate kits in 20yrs. Your tastes as a player changes so obviously you may change up configurations but one thing I’ve notice is as I get older and less aggressive in my playing, I don’t have to buy new cymbals and I don’t have a lot of bloat in my kit.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Bonzo posted:

Storage is key. A Guitar is all self contained in a case or bag. You don't have to remove each string, put them in their own special case, like you do with drum equipment.

The only think I really hang onto is extra stands or mounting arms because those do come in handy for not only drummers but when your guitar player forgets his iPad mount, you can improvise.

Hardware is what essentially prevented me from having both kits properly set up at the same time. I had some extra stands but they were on the bad side of quality and I just couldn’t bring myself to spend hundreds on duplicate hardware.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I’ve been auditioning lately in a new city and I’ve had the pleasure of playing on some of the most beater kits imaginable. Like sure, bring your own cymbals and snare but twice now, I’ve been very thankful that I brought my own stool. I think there is a terrible stool fairy that goes around to beater kits and drops off $20 amazon thrones.

It’s been a long time since I’ve done this much auditioning but I forgot how much it sucks to play strange material on a strange kit and essentially only get one shot at it.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I have a pork pie that is over stuffed and super comfy but my tailbone still hurts if I’m sitting on it for more than 90 mins.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I had a saddle style for the longest time when I first started playing and for years playing weekly in a band I was wondering why I’d blow out the crotches in jeans so often. It was the saddle. Legs moving so much just accelerated the wear. Haven’t blown out a pair of jeans since going traditional round stool. I picked up a free rock em saddle throne from a church before I moved bc they were gonna toss it and it’s super comfy but I can’t imagine gigging with it. I want my throne to fit into my bag when I transport gear. This thing has a base like an office chair.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Years ago I bought a new ride stand that was really great but it had a weird tension on the cymbal itself I wasn’t used to. I had been over tightening it and making the ride more rigid that I was used to and for like 2 months, I had finger pain. Once I solved that, never experienced it again. Drum angles and feels make all the difference.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

This video has made me upset. It’s painful to watch. Those dual crash reaches just look so uncomfortable. Its like when a cymbal/drum stand starts to walk away during a gig and there’s nothing you can do until the song ends but it’s this dudes whole kit and he wants it that way.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Is there anyone here who went from acoustic kit to e-kit and liked it? Don’t get me wrong, I’ve played on several e-kits and most importantly a roland kit at a church that was very nice even though it wasn’t top of the line but drat, I couldn’t get over the feel of them compared to an acoustic kit. Even the roland mesh heads while being fun to do effortless fills in just didn’t feel good compared.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I guess maybe a roland kit with live cymbals would be somewhat acceptable bc the cymbals were always the worst part for me but at that point it doesn’t make any sense.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

AndrewP posted:

There are good e-cymbals but you gotta spend a lot. Is it the sound or the feel you don't like?

Pretty much both. Maybe those weird mesh cymbals would be good? Haven’t tried those.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

You should take into account shell sizes/configs and wood type for sound. You’d be surprised how good intermediate kits sound with the right heads. Depending on the config and number of shells, you should be able to get a really great shell pack with the color/finish you want.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Anyone have any suggestions for brush technique or exercises? About a year ago I sat down and started studying brushes as that’s just never something I’ve done. I got as far as a typical jazz sweeping pattern with a little filling but stopped. Now that I’ve been stuck at home with no way of playing my kit for the last 10 weeks, I figured it would be perfect to try to get back into.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

What happened to the drum channel on the Goon Music Academy? I liked the idle chat there.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Weird, I see it now but discord wasn’t showing it listed before. Must be a discord thing.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I recorded drums at a friends place and prior to the recording day, he bought a $20 outdoor rug from home depot and it was so big, we ended up just cutting it down the middle and each keeping a half. I've had that disgusting strip of folded up material in my hardware bag for over a decade and it's perfect for outdoor gigs or just throwing it down just in case the venue has a terrible stage.

My old stage custom bass drum had a habit of walking off from the pedal. Super fun to have happen during the last song of a set and you're screaming at the bassist to put his foot in front of it.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Have bought several DW5000s. Broke the footplate in half on my first one. Bought another and then for some reason, another so now i have a back up. I'm not that heavy footed anymore. I've always liked the feel but I'm a single pedal player and it's really the only pedal I've extensively used beyond the stock yamaha pedal my first kit came with.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Bored Online posted:

Hello, I have some questions about my set up.

I am very new to percussions, and have not been playing music for years. As a hobby, I got an electronic kit a couple months back and really got into it. It was pretty clear that I wanted to take it further, and do the real deal. Covid is scary so instead of going to a store, I ordered a Pearl Roadshow online.

A lot of this can probably be explained by starting on an electronic kit and being new in general, but it seems like the snare and hi hat are several order of magnitude louder than everything else. I wouldn’t say it is even loud in a good way. Are there some common newbie mistakes that may account for this? I had tried tuning the snare again and ended up in essentially the same place. Drum mutes allow me to still get practice in, but they drown out the rest of the kit.

The other concern is that the tom placement seems rather high. I stand at six foot tall, and have the throne up about as high as it can go. Getting a clean strike on the toms require really lifting the elbow up. My understanding is that angling the toms inward is not the proper solution, and this may just be a thing that takes getting used to.

I watched a few setup vids on on vic firth and pearl, but maybe someone has some suggestions here. I am mostly basing this on what I see from learning / performance videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Stock heads have a lot to do with this, especially when it comes to snares. Watch some snare tuning vids and don't be afraid to dampen the head with some tape if you're still struggling. Gels or just folding over some duct tape to make a pad and then taping it to the snare head away from the center will work. As far as the head positioning goes, it's really all about how comfortable you feel. I've sat on other drummer's kits where the toms were almost completely level and others where it they were completely facing me. Answer is somewhere in between. It's ok to have them angled a bit. A 5-piece set up with toms mounted to a bass drum mount will be harder to really get them where you want them. I've been on a 1up 1down config for a long time and I always like mounting my rack tom on a stand separate from the bass drum so I can get better control over placement.

I'm 6'5" so I tend to like my stool higher but you'll still want to be close to having the top of your leg parallel with the floor. Again, all about comfort. Honestly, replacing the heads is the first thing to improve the sound of a kit. At least the top heads. I've found Evans G2s to be easy to tune and they give a nice balance of tone and sustain.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

When I first started drumming in jr high band, I didn't have a kit yet. My neighbor down the street did but he was a lefty. We'd flip the high hat and floor tom whenever i wanted to play it. Sometimes I was just too lazy to bother and ended up playing lefty a lot. I mean, i was terrible so it didn't really matter much but when you're starting out, it makes perfect sense that you could train yourself to play in an unconventional manner.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

The first time I played Rock Band I thought "I've been playing drums for years, this will be a snap!" and it was the most clunky awful thing ever and then I realized that in my drummer brain, I control the band, not some video game! So I stuck to playing just the bass lines from all the Beatles songs because that was way more fun.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Been a year for me since I've played mine or any other kit for that matter. One day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Bored Online posted:

Can I get a recommendation for hearing protection? I am not used to wearing plugs in a musical context, and I wanna make sure I dont torch my other drums. Thanks.

Most people I know just use the colored disposable kind but they always fell out of my ears and were frustrating to use. I don’t have the specific brand in front of me but any of the standard reusable kind that cost $10-$20 work fine. Easier to put in and stay in but you’re gonna want to wash them of your gross ear gunk.

I started just using my in-ear monitors whenever I needed extra protection at a rehearsal (new room, guitarist got a new pedal/amp and has decided to crank it etc.)