Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

You could always ride the floor tom instead of the hats/ride. Is that what you're thinking? When I first started playing, there was a definite distinction among myself and other beginner musicians that I played with between "regular beats" and "more of a cool tribal feel" which was basically just eighth notes on a floor tom and using the rack toms instead of the snare. If you really want to mesh together kick/snare patterns with toms, try throwing in random tom hits on up beats or small single beat fills during your kick/snare patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Usually see electronic kits used in combo with acoustic drums. I've seen electronic kits with real cymbals and acoustic kits with just a couple of pads to trigger backing tracks or more electronic drum samples for a specific sound. I remember playing some local shows and every now and then, a band would show up on a bill with a full e drum kit and you could see the sound man take a deep breath before having to deal with it.

E kits have their usage but mostly for practicality like the church gig I used to play often. Just easier to mix in when dealing with a large room and sound bleed.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Those rack toms looking like the splinter cell night vision goggles

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

lovely stock heads is a right of passage for every drummer playing on someone else's drum set that isn't a drummer. If you keep tightening them, they'll eventually start to sound good, right? lovely stock heads often follow the phrase "oh we have a kit here you can use"

*shudders*

I Might Be Adam fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 15, 2022

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Hardware is a hard thing to justify but if you're gigging a lot or moving your kit often, the more quality hardware starts to make sense, especially ease of adjusting and memory locks. I remember two pieces outside of my kick pedal that made a lot of sense for me to spend more money on which was my low profile hi-hat stand (I got tired of breaking the foot plate on the two leg style stands) and my DW ride stand. Everything else was whatever for me. I still have a single braced Yamaha stand from my 96 kit and its great for a non-boom stand.

As long as it's not moving around or collapsing, who cares. I do remember auditioning for a band and the singer/guitarist called me out for using some Pearl stands with my Yamaha kit. I guess he cared.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Bonzo posted:

LOL these people still exist? That was more of an 80s thing where everyone was obsessed with getting whatever their musical heroes endorsed at the time. I can assure you that the name brand on your stand will not have any effect on the sound of your playing.

To clarify, this was in uhhhhhhh 2001-ish. It was a for a mediocre alternative rock band and there are only two things I remember from that audition, the mixed brand shaming and after I showed them a rough demo from the last band I was in, they said "i wouldn't let people listen to this". Yeah, dudes were full of themselves. I don't even remember thinking they were that good but I was like 19 at the time.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Soooo after an extremely long hiatus, I have space to set up my Catalina club kit again. Last time it was set up was 2019 and tuned lower for rock. I recently tuned it higher for jazz but the 5 lug rack tom is being an absolute pain to get a decent sound out of. Lots of overtones and not all that great sounding.

I have evans g1 coated on top and bottom. The heads are fine outside of being in bags for a few years and have low play time.

Wondering how much the 5 lug layout is causing it?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Oh it’s because it’s the budget Catalina Club. The rest of the shells have an even number of lugs so they haven’t been a problem. I may look into replacing all the top heads in the near future. My coordination and stick control isn’t what it used to be so I’m gonna have to see how much of a barrier that is before I start putting money back into drumming.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Just discovered this guy last night. Real interesting takes on mic experimenting and just capturing awesome grooves.

https://youtu.be/IaDYpzmncmU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Anyone have any recs for drum mics? I know that I can just buy a budget mic kit for ~$100 but I feel like I'm gonna get stuff I won't use or something that's better suited for live setups. I'd like to mic up my small kit for just messing around so just kick, rack, floor, snare, and maybe a couple overheads? I already have an sm57. Would rather get quality over quantity of mics.

I also checked out the mics that the drum goblin i posted earlier uses and I can't afford his mics.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Tabla? I used to have some mini bongos for this purpose at my desk. Would also tap on them with chopsticks.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Rascal_Rockhog posted:

IMHO kick, snare and overhead mics are more important than tom mics, so I would maybe wait with buying those.

I’m definitely ok with getting a room sound and focus on kick/snare. I’ll def check out used gear. I really didn’t want to mess with a bunch of cheap clip on Tom mics for what I’m doing.

New New Fresh posted:

Past that you don't really need anything unless you wanna get really granular with tweaking your sound. Money spent on tom mics and the time spent making sure everything is in phase would be better spent on room treatment imo.

Room treatment is something else I’ve thought about. I don’t have budget for acoustic panels and I’m renting this house so I’m looking into other ways. There’s not much in this room right so need to get something in here to absorb all this bouncing sound.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

TotalLossBrain posted:

I saw a DW5000 for sale today for $75.

A pedal so nice I've bought it 3 times?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

DW 5000 is a mid price pedal. I bought my second after I somehow cracked the foot plate in half. When I had a broken chain on the second one during a gig, I bought the third as a backup.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Duke Chin posted:

lol this is *still* happening?
sand casted piece of poo poo pedal board

Granted this was probably 15yrs ago and I used to be an extremely foot heavy rock drummer. Still shouldn’t break in half like it did.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

No drum stuff but I'm thinking a synth item might be coming this weekend from the wife for my birthday. We also just claimed our own rooms in the house for our offices so now my kit and other musical things are in the same room so hopefully I end up playing more.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Literally A Person posted:

A space to have your stuff all together is an awesome holiday miracle. I'm almost there :shepicide:

Finally moved to a place big enough for my kit to be set up a year ago and it took until now for me to finally upgrade some gear and move my desk and computer into my music room. I'm hoping if nothing else, I'll decide to start playing when the urge hits instead of having to move a laptop into another room to start recording ideas.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Literally A Person posted:

I'm in the middle of doing something similar. My wife and I have been rethinking our space in our weird little outbuilding and it ended up netting me a large playing/recording space where I used to just barely be able to fit my kit. I am adjusting and having to figure out how to set this poo poo up in a way I really love.

We should post some dang drum caves ITT.

Hell yeah. I’ll post up something when I get my space a bit more presentable.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Finally getting my office/music hole up and running.

I need some sound dampening in here but it's been a low priority due to mostly farting around with synths and a DAW lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Colonel J posted:

I do have a question though; in my quest for tuning I got the lugs quite tight, not at their max but much tighter than I probably should have. Is it possible that I could have destroyed the heads doing so? how would I know?

No, you’d have to tighten them with a power drill and even then. I think that Aussie YouTuber made a video about “how tight can I tighten a head?” And I wanna say the hardware bent/broke before the head did. Those heads are meant to be stretched.