Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

edit: To add a question of my own, I recently realized that I accidentally messed up my sight reading somewhere along the way. What I do right now is learn whatever I'm reading well enough that I can glance at it and play it from memory. How do I fix it so I can actually sight read stuff?

The way I did it was to get/borrow a ton of music and never read anything more than once or twice. I came out of a season of drum corps being able to memorize anything in seconds, and that's how my teacher at the time ended up forcing me to improve my reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

...do you have a ton of sheet music I could borrow? And is there any sort of progression you recommend, or just "the order in which you pick them up?"

Yeah the amount of music is the tough part. I was fortunate enough to have access to a couple filing cabinets full of stuff.

What kind of reading are you looking to do? And what level? I did a bunch of mallet reading out of Bona's Rhythmical Articulation, and just kind of cycled through in the hopes I forgot what I'd read a few weeks before. Rhythm reading, you can read just about anything though some instruments are more useful than others. Do you have access to a library with a music section? Can be a surprising number of older method books in there. If you want to read, say, timpani stuff, then we might be in trouble.