Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Hello Drums and Percussion thread. My band has been using glockenspiel samples for a song and well, we really want to replace the computer with a real instrument.

My first question: what special equipment/techniques will we need to mic it for live play?

Second: what are some quality models? Something good enough to be played live, but not top of the line as it is intended for occasional use. That being said I'd like it to be at least two octave range. Where do I start looking?

Third: what would my drummer need to mount one in his kit? (I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I am a dumb baby when it comes to drums)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Kodo posted:

Have a look at these beautiful babies. I'm going to bet they are all completely out of your price range, except maybe the 2.5 yamaha concert band bells. All of these are, obviously, of high quality.

You can get away with using child glockenspiels (because it's all, you know, precious and cute). I've seen performers use individual notes so that they only have the bells they use for performance (not sure where to get those). You might try looking for orff instrument bells - but those come in a box configuration and might not be compact enough.

As for mounting? Better just to get a tray, those things are heavy; but then again I'm a traditionalist. I'm sure there's a way to mount a glockenspiel but it'll require some DIY.
Thanks for the tip on the Yamaha, that is pretty nice looking (and you are absolutely right about the price range). We figured something so amazing wouldn't come cheap, but it never hurts to hope right?

quote:

If there's a will there's a way.
:allears:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Sylink posted:

Can anyone recommend me a free music notation program that outputs PDF?

I want to transcribe some drum parts and print them out , I don't like tab for drums.

Finale Notepad is the only notation program I can think of that is free. It has been a very (very) long time since I've used it, so I'm not sure if it has built in PDF capability, but I know it can print, so you should be able to just print to a PDF file via something like CutePDF

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

moctopus posted:

This might sound like a dumb question, but I wanted to ask it anyway.

I've been playing guitar for almost two years now and I want to start spending some of my time playing along to drum loops/tracks and maybe even making some of my own music.

Do have any tips for a guitar player playing along with drums? Is there anything annoying guitar players do when playing alongside drums? Things we do that take away from the song as a whole? Common mistakes...

I don't know... I'm having trouble coming up with the exact words I want to use and I hope this makes sense. I just wanted to get some input/perspective from the percussion side.

Don't blast your amp louder than the drums and don't randomly change rhythm