Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So I hope you don't mind but I thought I would ask this thread a quick question about music theory in relation to drums.

Now I'm horrible when it comes to writing music and even worse at writing percussion parts to the point where I've only just now discovered that it's the snare that keeps time and in 4/4 the snare is typically hit on the down beat of 2 & 4. No joke, I've been playing music for 20 years and while I started to write about 10 years ago I quit after 2 because I was an idiot about theory, got frustrated and quit and only recently picked it up again but supplementing my knowledge with theory books and about 10x the money to throw at gear and it's really helped me get over a lot of the roadblocks I use to always run into.

However the problem I've discovered is that more often than not I find myself defaulting to writing things in signatures like 5/8, 7/8, 5/4 & 6/4, as opposed to 4/4 so my question is where does the snare go in those signatures and/or is there a book that explains how someone who would be mostly programming a drum machine (because my wife would actually kill me if I got a kit) how to work in those signatures.

e: Most of my drum programming knowledge comes from this book and while it has the best preface of any theory book it's information about programming in time that's not 4/4 is non-existent.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Thanks, I sort of got it from Kodo's post but the example that Gaffle used really helped me grasp the foundations of non 4/4 signature programming which was what I was looking for since I've probably listened to that track hundreds of times but never really analyzed it. In the past I've mostly just been writing over a beat that someone else made but I've been wanting to program my own stuff over my own work and drumming's never really "clicked" for me until the book I referenced pointed out that virtually every 4/4 song has a snare hit on 2&4 and now I can't un-hear that when I listen to a song in 4/4... but any other signature I never understood how to count it out so couldn't really process it.

I'm mostly into writing things with synths so EDM/Rock/Soundtrack/Soundscape stuff, but growing up I had a kick rear end dad who turned me onto progressive rock so that's probably why my brain defaults to odd signatures which isn't bad since I find that most four on the floor EDM stuff bores the poo poo out of me.