Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Hi, drumming goons! I've just started learning the drums, and by "just started," I mean since the start of summer, so I'm only a little over a month in. I initially booked a lesson as a confidence-building thing (I'm shyer than hell about performing even the simplest tasks, and figured hitting stuff might be good for me), and quickly found that drumming is pretty much the funnest thing ever. My teacher says I'm actually quite good for the stage I'm at, so that's encouraging V:shobon:V . I'm still very easily intimidated about it, though. For instance, this:

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

I don't actually have more previews but I'll post some music files for the good people of SA!

Double Strokes:

Flam Spree:

Slow Fast:

... I can't imagine ever being able to play that middle one. Holy poo poo. Like, just looking at that scares me. Then again, after being terrified of playing with a track for the first time and then pretty much (according to my teacher) nailing the first section of my first attempt at it, I realize that over time the seemingly harder things lose their scariness. I still feel like an impostor.

Is there a good website that provides examples of drum terminology?

And does anyone know of any exercises for strengthening snare hits? My right is, allegedly, good, but my left is still noticeably softer. Funnily, the opposite happens when I do a roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Thanks for the advice!

RandomCheese posted:

Also have a look into the Moeller method, it teaches specific motions and techniques that results in a very relaxed but powerful playing style, and is less stressful on the body resulting in less injuries developing over time.
This had me at "It is believed that he described the method after observing Civil War drummers in the 19th century." I have a weakness for military drumming. :allears:

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

You could also try playing opposites, use the left on the hat and the right on the snare. This gets your left playing more and will build chops as well as some good coordination!
Holy poo poo, that is way harder than I thought it would be.

Taliaquin fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 15, 2013