Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I have a pretty beat up old kit that I've been using for a long time (on and off for about 10 years), but it's still in reasonably good condition overall. I've been looking into methods of making old kits sound decent and I think the most important thing right now is replacing the heads.

I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to heads. Do I need to replace both the batter and resonant heads? The resonant heads seem like they are in fine condition, but is it preferable for the batter and resonant heads to be the same brand or does that not matter at all? If not, should I replace them anyway despite being in decent condition just because of how old they are? I've been using the same heads since I bought the kit and I have no idea how long the previous owner was using them.

Any advice I can get regarding heads would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Greggster posted:

I think two hanging toms and one floortom + 2 crash + 1 ride & hihat (plus snare and kick) is the perfect amount of drums to play on.

Perfect for you is the key thing.

I like a simple kit too. I play a 4 piece (with hh, 2 crashes and a ride), but everyone has different tastes and different needs to suit what they want to play.