Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

RandomCheese posted:

It's not impossible to learn without lessons, there are massive amounts of tutorials and videos available online to cover every area, but it is a really good ideas to get one or two lessons pretty early on just to make sure your posture and stick grip are OK, as well as seat height and drum positioning etc, otherwise you can form some pretty bad habits that are hard to break out of. I started taking lessons before I got my kit just to make sure it was something I was passionate enough about to stick to (it totally was), so I was guided through not poking my elbows out, not bunching up to the kit, not having a death-grip on my sticks etc, as opposed to the drummer in my band who had been playing for a few years before he started taking lessons so he has kept some weird habits (from my perspective at least) like only really using his thumb and index to hold the sticks (those other fingers are great for support and speed), sitting with his knees higher than his pelvis (bad for your whole body over time) and having poor dynamic control because he had basically been banging away at full volume 100% of the time. He can still drum well and is stronger than me in some areas (volume, for one) but these habits are holding him back a little and he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to change. Whatever works for him I guess, but I can tell he gets a little shirty when I correct him as he sees me primarily as a guitarist.

This really can't be overstated. When I started, I had a really poor grip, had my snare/toms at awkward angles... posture was okay but everything else was just wrong.

Then I started having wrist and hand pain, and like a dumbass I just figured "well, it's the drums... these things happen." NO. In fact, my first bout of lessons began shortly after seeing a doctor for a repetitive strain injury in my right hand. She pretty much said "if you're gonna play drums, you're going to need to go find someone who can teach you to play them correctly."

Honestly, once you have that stuff figured out, yeah you can learn a lot online--but I'm still a big proponent of lessons, even if you don't go regularly. It's way too easy to convince yourself you sound alright, that you're in time, etc without a second set of ears to call you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU