Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I used to drum a bit like 7-8 years ago or so, and I'm kinda thinking about getting some digital drums to try it out again. The local music guy sells Yamaha and I was kind of looking at getting the DTX450K set since it seems like an affordable piece of kit (Not in the best financial situation right now so it's gonna take months of saving to get extra money)
Should I save up for that or just save up even more until I can get a 502 series since it has the 502 drum module? It's 400€ more for the cheapest 502 kit though, but if I get into drumming again I guess the 502 module will be better in the long run?

I would have my old kit lying around somewhere, but it's acoustic and I don't have anywhere to play it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Kodo posted:

I don't anything about electronic kits, only had a chance to play on them a few times. I'd recommend the 502 over the 450 simply because the rubber pads of the 450 are poo. Of course, YMMV. If you can go to the shop and try them out; otherwise it's difficult to gauge what would be right for you.

Just be aware that no matter how good the electric kit is, it will never replicate the sound and feel of acoustic. If you're thinking about moving over to acoustic it might be better to find a space to play or at least plan a way to start practicing on acoustic (building a soundproof booth :cool:). That said electrics are great for practice and useful for particular styles so be open to that.

Thanks, my buddy might be able to hook me up with a place to play on weekends if the stars align, so I might actually get access to an acoustic set. Crossing my fingers here.

How worried do I need to be about electronic kits not keeping up with my playing? I'd be playing mostly NWOBHM so it's not insane dual bass drumming or anything but someone told me that electronic kits can be bad about keeping up with the beats (Though this could be outdated info by now)
Definitely looking towards moving into a place a bit more remote so I can get a(nother) acoustic kit of my own at some point.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Thanks guys, guess it's time to start saving up for dat DTX522K

Is there some good drumming theory stuff on the internet by the way? I'm looking at the videos linked in the OP and they aren't exactly helpful without drums. If there's something I can do without drums and without buying any books (I'm kind of in a lovely place economically right now, though it will be sorted in a few months) that'd be great.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Well, I got some drumsticks from my parents and have a round stool thing I'm gonna use as a practice pad for now.
I'll check out that drumlessons site as well.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Feel kinda like I should make myself a training schedule or something, like do rudiments an hour for a day and then work with a metronome the next or something, try to get as much out of this "practice pad" as I can until I get a real set.
An hour might be a little to much though, maybe 30 minutes every day. Just hitting this one thing over and over will probably get boring real quick.