Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

scuz posted:

Okay, I'm new to drumming and all that jazz, so I started taking lessons. My instructor, based on my goals for wanting to be the drummer for this band has advised that I work on my double-stroke rolls. She says it'll increase my speed. However I'm not 100% on whether I'm practicing this correctly. She has advised that I use my wrists as little as possible and to try and use my fingers as much as I can, but that's giving me some problems. Any double-stroke roll techniques for a new drummer guy?

Yeah, first make sure you're gripping the stick correctly (relaxed, thumb and forefinger, etc.) and try to get the drumstick to move without bending your wrist. It should be similar to the motion for ringing a bell on a bike or a "come hither" hand motion. Beyond that, start slow and make sure your technique is good. You can go as slow as you need to but don't speed up until you have it down. The rest of it is just getting a feel for how your sticks and drums respond. Eventually you'll get a feel for the recoil from striking the drum; that's going to be essential to speed. Instead of bringing your wrist down twice for the double stroke, you bring it down once, the stick bounces up, and you bring it back down with your fingers instead of your wrist. Then you switch hands. You just have to practice until it feels right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

scuz posted:

Thanks dude, this helped a ton! I hadn't been using my fingers the proper way before.

It's the only really efficient way to build speed with matched sticking. If you stick with it you'll eventually be able to do hits with each individual finger and then oh man

Well, not the only way I guess
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QFZfOLbnBwI

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kodo posted:

This. Since you will be playing with a loop that's good since it's basically a metronome. If you drag behind my tempo I will kill you.

"I just like to float over the time and kinda funk things up" -cool dudes who definitely know what they're doing with regards to beat subdivision

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

That doesn't sound normal. Can you take a picture of your grip?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

What would be the most cost efficient way of incorporating electronic drum sounds into a live scenario? I'm mostly looking to add some taiko drum sounds and ideally I'd like a pressure sensitive pad. Basically something like Roland's Octapad but not 700 dollars