Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

I'm about to take baby's first steps into this world and pick up a pad and Stick Control. Is there a stick weight that would be considered the best starter's choice or am I already overthinking this?

5A, and yes you're overthinking it. Pick up a few and see what feels good. There might be a few that do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I was just at Drummerfest in New Berlin, WI. Shannon Forrest, Jimmy Chamberlin, Gorden Campbell, and Matt Garstka. It was amazing and I'll have audio of each of their masterclasses/performances in a few days.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Now go try and do some 'Oldies' music from the '60s and realize even nondescript guys like the drummers for the Zombies or the Monkees were loving monsters by modern standards. Can we lay off the one-handed 16th notes guys? No? OK :smith:

edit:
I mean just look at this bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A-4VGfx5lU

Moeller technique for daaaaays

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Actually, on sixteenth notes, I feel I have pretty good technique but this guy makes me feel like a beginner...what's he doing that he can play constant sixteenths for that long? I feel I'm almost there, but there's some minutiae I'm missing.

First song, "Come Down"
https://youtu.be/ferZnZ0_rSM

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I Might Be Adam posted:

So, I'm doing a quick design project and decided to look at exploring some ways to improve the way percussionists interact with hand percussion like shakers and maracas. As a drummer, I've always wanted a better way to use shakers/maracas with the drum set whether it be a better way to store the hand percussion on the drum set for easier transitioning or an easier way to hold hand percussion while also holding a drumstick.

I don't know a lot of percussionists locally so I'm casting a wide net with this. If anyone feels like answering a few questions, that would be great:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QKSPN2X

Done!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Also, when I play and try to focus on my right hand or left leg (eg, play hi-hats with the pedal opening and closing in something other than 4 straight beats), my left hand starts moving in time with my right leg entirely on its own. This doesn't happen when I try to do literally anything else that involves using both hands and both feet. gently caress you, limbs, do what you're told! More of an observation than a question - I'm sure I'll get the hang of it but if there's some trick I'm missing I'd like to hear it. What I'm currently doing is playing the kick, adding the snare, adding the hats, then as I try to add the hat pedal, my snare hand and kick foot sync up within the first two bars. I should mention that while I am a kinda generally clumsy person, I can manage other complex whole-body tasks (like wrestling for example) just fine.

Play it out of time: play the first complete body motion (e.g. right hand hi hat and right foot bass drum). Stop. Think about the second complete body motion. Which limbs are perform what motions? Make sure you'll play it correctly. Play it. Stop. Think about the next complete body motion, etc. Once you've gone through the whole groove like this 3-5 times, pair up body motions e.g. play the first and second, stop, third and fourth, stop. etc. The whole process might take 15-30 minutes, less if you go slower.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Colonel J posted:

Anybody knows how the hell you approach playing something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkGqZ2S16IY&t=820s that? There has to be more than one drummer here, but I really wouldn't be surprised if one guy managed to play all that. I'd love to learn that stuff but have no idea where to even start, so if anybody has a recommendation I'd be quite happy.
edit: well listening to it a bit more there's at least a few players here. Still an amazing bit of percussion, and I have no idea what it's called but I'd listen to a whole album of that stuff.

The three major players in Latin music today are Antonio Sanchez, Dafnis Prieto, and Horacio Hernandez, all of which have learning material on coordination in a Latin context.

Here's Horacio's book, Conversations in Clave. I've been working out of it for a few months and it's still challenging and engaging. I'll be honest, I had to start with a metronome at quarter note = 50, with 16th note subdivisions. This kind of coordination is difficult at first, but incredibly rewarding. I'll probably be working with this book for years.

Here's Dafnis' book A World of Rhythmic Possibilities. I haven't researched it at all, but one of my teachers picked it up recently to work on Latin coordination.

Here's Hudson Music's DVD on Antonio, Antonio Sanchez. I'm not a fan of DVDs for things that are better done via book (like limb coordination), so maybe pick it up give us a review?

In that album/tune you linked the drumming actually seems pretty simple once you get the ostinatos down (warning: I listened to it on my phone and might have missed if they're using a bass drum). One foot is playing the rumba clave, and the other is playing 1(e)+a2(e)+a3...etc. while the hands improvise. Here's what it looks like written out:

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 20, 2017

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Listening to the recording off the album, it doesn't seem like he's playing it. It could be something he added later to stay engaged, having played it a few hundred times.

I take the opposite approach from Bonzo when I'm practicing new coordination exercises. I start with the thing that's going to stay same (your hihat foot in this case), then add what can/will change (hands first, then bass drum). If that's too challenging I'll write out one measure of the basic groove (4/4 rock groove on ride with quarter notes on hihat foot), then play and count each eighth note sequentially, but out of time. Once I can play that in time, and when I feel comfortable with it, I'll vary the bass drum pattern, then the hands.

The New Breed by Gary Chester has dozens of coordination exercises if you're interested in that.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I saw someone perform a solo piece for two tympani. It was as bad as you would expect

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Stick Control is ~100 pages with ~20 rhythms per page.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Carmant posted:

I bought a cheap electronic set from a pawn shop to learn drums with and the kick pedal has no beater/pad. Is this going to be a huge deal? I'm sure I could swing buying a better pedal in the next few months but it won't be that big of a deal to practice with this one in the meantime will it?

No, it's the same as tapping sticks on your thighs and stepping on the ground; either way there's a slight adjustment to a real kit with the difference in rebound and pedals existing, but you get used to it in a couple seconds.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Katt posted:

Hey drummers and other professional swingers of blunt objects.

I know Japanese bands are all about the spectacle but is this real live playing or pre-recorded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEYUFgLveY

In your opinion anyway.

I know the business likes shortcuts when it comes to drums these days.

They're all hired studio musicians, so it's live playing (with triggers on the bass drum as Duke Chin said). Despite how canned the vocals sound, I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually being sung live...there's so much real-time processing going on on all the instruments, they're wearing in-ears, they're dancing and singing is so perfectly coordinated, and they actually are singers.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Kryopsis posted:

As an absolute beginner drummer (a little over 3 months now), I find this extremely helpful! Actually earlier today I was listened to some Post-Hardcore and kept wondering how one would do something similar to the above video. Given my skill level, I'm still working on developing fundamentals and good technique ('Stick Control For the Snare Drummer' etc) so toms don't get much use yet, asides from basic fills.

I can't really tell what's going on with the bass drum cuz cell phone speakers + the camera angle means I can't cheat, but here's the general groove.

Sorry it's handwritten, I hosed up my laptop last night installing Razer's synapse software and I can't single left click anymore :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vu9e4h5yq78ytgc/IMAG0046.jpg?dl=0

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 4, 2017

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Kryopsis posted:

As I wrote before in the thread, I'm a beginner drummer.

I've been trying to learn how to play 'London Calling' and while I can currently play the four different grooves as well as transition between them, I'm having trouble figuring out the number of measures for each.

Originally I started with this music sheet but there were some errors in the transcription and these dal segno/coda patterns do not make any sense to me. I listened to a 'drums only' edit of the song posted on YouTube and tried to count the measures myself, but I was getting some really odd results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxCmHKZsMO8

For instance, in the first minute or so of the song, I counted 11 measures of A, followed by a roll, followed by 8 measures of B, then 8 measures of C, and then... the D groove repeated 6 times followed by the first measure of D again? And then B for 10 measures? That can't be right.

Halp!

It's all eight measure phrases, except there's one extra during the lyric "by the river", and the last phrase is only four measures.

I can transcribe the whole thing accurately and make it way easier to read than the one you linked for 0.25$ per active frame (a measure with notes, articulations and dynamics, and lyrics are all active frames).

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

terre packet posted:

I’m a new drummer and have started playing with a band that is getting ready for our first show. We have a set list that we’ve practiced enough to where I pretty much remember what I do on the drums for every song. I’d like to improve on this and learn drum notation so I can write down the beats and song structure and stop relying entirely on memory. Is there a book that can show me how to do that?

Here's a basic legend to get you started. A good rule of thumb is that if you play it with your feet the stem starts on the left side of the notehead and goes down, if you play it with your hands it starts on the right side and goes up.

Here's an example

If you get comfortable writing your parts out but want to learn more, I recommend Norman Weinberg's book The PAS Guide to Standardized Drumset Notation.

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 16, 2018

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

terre packet posted:

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Glad I could help! Let me know if you ever want me to look over your parts :)

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

App13 posted:

Anyone have experience with "Mikes Lessons?" I took up drumming a few months back, and I really like his free stuff on youtube, but not sure if his lessons are worth $30/mo.

I'll be taking in person lessons in 6 months when the field season at work is over, but until then I want something more than my copy of stick control.

It's preference, but I recommend Stephen's Drum Shed; he's been more consistent over time (which is prolly cuz he took ten months off of gigging to focus on his teaching/website)

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

fzA455 posted:

e: This thread is way too slow!! Where are the drummers?

Last year I made the Objectively Bad Decision to go back to school so I can teach people How To Hit Things Good And Also Write Music, so my free time is mostly gone :(

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

fzA455 posted:

e2: Also I may take pictures next time I'm there and see if anyone thinks I should set the rack tom/snare differently. Sometimes I can put the snare in a position that feels comfortable at first but causes pain in my left wrist. I've definitely injured my left wrist over the years by slamming the poo poo out of the snare. But it only seems to flare up if I'm hitting at certain angles. Hard to explain.

I'm interested...I think I can help you. Post pics of a few different angles of the snare that cause pain, a few different angles of the rack tom that cause pain, a few different angles of both that don't cause pain; and if possible, brief videos of you playing in each configuration.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I'm looking at getting an SPD-SX. Besides a stand, what will I need, and is there anything I need to know?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

What are some good exercises to un-stupid my left foot? I'm trying to learn this Senses Fail song that's pretty straightforward on hand and has sections with steady 1/4 notes on the HH pedal, but the bass drum is swinging around on &'s and ah's and it brings my other 3 limbs crashing to a halt. I wasn't even an emo kid, at this point I'm practicing the song out of pure spite for how uncoordinated it makes me feel <:mad:>

Here's the first bit, as I have it interpreted out from the Rock Band chart:

This actually looks like a good way to work on your coordination! If it's still to challenging, loop a measure of the hands + left foot, then play a bass drum on the downbeat of 1 for 4 measures, then the downbeat of 2, then 3, then 4. Then play it on the ah of 1, ah of 2, etc.. If any are particularly challenging then just loop them until they're feel comfortable.

As an aside, if you're going notate kit in one voice, make sure all the stems are pointing up. The standard way of notating it though is hands up/feet down, since it's a clear divide in the part, coincidentally lining up with how we think of our bodies (hands and feet).

Also I gave the intro a quick listen and where you have triplets the bass drum is playing 1 +a (just 16ths), and I don't think there are quarters in the hihat foot--they're not part of the style, and they'd be inaudible in that section anyway.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Honestly I kinda don't like the way Rob Brown does his lessons since they're so rambly (I usually put them on 125%-150% speed on the rare occasion I decide to watch them), but he has some really solid advice on tom setup. 2x floor tom setup comes 30sec after the timestamp I dropped you at.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

As long as your feet are in line with your thighs you should be good. Here's a pic of me from two minutes ago on a cajon hybrid kit I'm playing in a musical this month

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rt4tlr0ob0iao3w/IMG_0303.JPG?dl=0

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Any of you have a sample pad? I just picked up an SPD-SX and am looking for more ways to use it besides a metronome and sound effects.

Regarding sound effects, where do you get your samples? One I could really use right now is a solid anvil, the closer to the one just after 1:25 here the better. I spent two hours sifting through samples on freesamples.org and google searches and didn't find anything sturdy-sounding enough :\

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

New New Fresh posted:

Hey I remember you from the jazz shitpost chat

Maybe try watching some of those blacksmithing videos on YouTube, you could probably get a clean sound from there and EQ it a bit.

lol, ofc goons are into shitposting. will check them out now since I have an awkward two hour gap between shows so I can't really do anything of note

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

So I got an SPD-SX for the musical I just wrapped up, and now that it's no longer tied up at the theatre I'm exploring the features it has beyond basic sample playback.

And honestly what the gently caress, Roland.

This thing is amazing, but when I first got it I had to dig out an old USB cable to transfer my samples to it cuz they couldn't be bothered to include one. And tonight me and the guitarist from my mathmetal band were messing with it and like. The effects knobs are labeled 1 and 2. That's it. And the manual says 'knob 1 will control one aspect of the selected effect, and knob 2 will control another'. :pseudo:

Turns out there's a whole book for the effects. But they couldn't include it in the box, or even as part of the owners manual.

I am baffled at their willful incompetence :wtc:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Syncopation is one of the older ones, but literally everyone I know has gone through it at some point, and I even own a copy, but I've just never done anything with it. It might good a good next step or companion to Stick Control, both supplemented with a teacher if possible.

Honestly I sourced the books in the OP from what my teachers have had me buy, books I've picked up along the way and liked and now use for teaching, and what my colleagues have recommended. Let me know if you come across anything cool and I'll check it out. I know Virgil Donati came out with a double bass book recently...I should prolly borrow it from my housemate and add it to the OP at some point :effort:

edit: lol there are so many fewer books in the OP than I thought. I might update it this week

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 5, 2019

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Replace any heads that have dents or scrapes/scratches. Replace the snare batter head unless it's already brand new. Def checking that app out tonight

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

As an experienced drummer, get whatever's in your budget (but always buy used). It doesn't matter if it sounds good or if it doesn't feel like an acoustic drum set (spoiler: an electric will never feel like an acoustic), as long as it's physically in your space demanding your attention to play it. Upgrade later, after you personally start noticing shortcomings in what you need it to do.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I'm the opposite of a gearhead. Can any of you tell me anything about this kit? All I got is Tama, 12(X12?), 14x14, 18(x14?), 14(x5.5? x6.5?). Seems older since they don't do the lug casing all the way across anymore. Considering buying it since it's super cheap and I've been looking for an 18 bass drum, but I also kinda hate the wrap. Would that be a pain/expensive to redo?

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 31, 2019

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

update: the guy selling it said he was moving out of state today, and he ended up ghosting me. would've been a killer kit for 175$, oh well

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I Might Be Adam posted:

Any recommendations for small space practicing? Just moved, have my jazz kit, nowhere to set it up, in apartment and starting to play with a group. They have a space but it’s a guy’s basement so can’t use it beyond rehearsals with them. I’ve heard of these mesh practice heads but again, no room to set up my kit and that sounds like a pain to swap out every time you gig.

Practice pad in a snare stand, bass drum practice pad w/double bass pedal (left foot is hi hat). I've been doing this for like a year now and just checking stuff on a kit at rehearsals and it's been working for 95% of what I do

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

The Dark Wind posted:

Is there a certain technique that drummers use to do extremely fast one handed rolls? In the song "Reign of Darkness" by Thy Art is Murder, for example, there's a really fast blast beat that I can't even begin to fathom playing. I know that there's the trick of using the rim to do gravity blast style things, but the youtube covers I found online weren't using that technique. Is it just incredibly fast finger motion, or is there something more to it? Alternating fingers?

Technique is my specialty!

This guy is using mostly finger technique, with a little radial-ulnar rotation.

This guy is using almost entirely wrist (and will likely develop an RSI)

This guy is using mostly finger technique with a little bit of wrist.

This gal is using elbow and fingers (and is super tense in general, yikes!)

I'm guessing this is the original drummer? He's using mostly fingers, with a little bit of wrist, and maybe some rotation. Great technique and looseness.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

The Dark Wind posted:

Thanks! Is there a video or a resource that explains how to use some of these movements, like radial-ulnar rotation? It sounds like getting to those speeds is just a matter of hard work and practice and there's no special technique used to get rapid fire one hand rolls (outside of the gravity blast technique).

Not that I know of. I went out of my way to study kinesiology at a local college several years ago. Even got to do the final project--a multi-joint movement analysis--on drumming. Not sure where that is anymore :(

Grab a doorknob (not the flat handles that are somewhat common). Turn it. That's radioulnar rotation. The radioulnar joint is ~1" past your elbow (towards your hand) on the thumb side. Traditional grip primarily uses radioulnar rotation, a moderate amount of fingers, and a little bit of wrist.

Adding on to something Dom Famularo said in the lesson Siivola linked, practice traditional grip, even if you don't use it; it forces you to learn how to use different techniques (radioulnar rotation) that you will then use in your preferred grip.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

Well great, now I wanna hear blast beats on a marimba

Not quite blast beats, but 8 mallets is totally a thing

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

PosteriorChain posted:

I'm considering taking up drums and I have a few questions to clear up before I take the plunge and put money into a kit.

Due to my living situation (fairly small house with a wife and neighbors that I don't want to annoy), I will need to keep it quiet for the most part. Initially I was eyeing the Roland TD-1DMK electric kit which seems to be well regarded as an entry kit.

But I really prefer the idea of an acoustic kit for a number of reasons (cooler, sounds better, what I ultimately want to play). I've seen a lot of products like the RTOM Blackhole, Remo Silentstroke, Zildjian quiet cymbals etc that seems like they'd allow me to keep the feel of an acoustic kit while keeping the noise down, and when I'm able to play at full volume I can remove them and do that. I ultimately want to learn metal drumming and blast beats and it just seems like electronic drums wouldn't be good for that.

That second option of the dampened acoustic kit sounds good to me - you can't beat the real thing. But I wanted to check this thread's opinions and experiences with this decision. Can anyone weigh in on this?

The guitarist from the mathmetal band I'm in has that exact e-kit, so I use it every week at rehearsal. You won't be able to learn gravity blasts on it due to the size and material of the pads and the rims, and the cymbals are a bit low on rebound and might make blast beats difficult/impossible, but it's a great kit overall.

On those goals, I'd highly recommend an acoustic kit and investing in soundproofing a room for practice (which will reduce the volume, but not eliminate it). FWIW my roommate plays contemporary jazz (kinda loud) and lined the walls and ceiling of his practice room with acoustic foam and yeah it reduced the sound transfer, but I can still hear every note he plays if I'm in the living room (right above his practice room). Definitely would be annoying to a non-musician.

I haven't used any of the silencing methods, but Stephen Clark compared three of them. tl;dr get the RTOMs

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

silvergoose posted:

So my 4 year old has been consistently asking for a drumset for half a year now, which means I'm legitimately considering getting him something for, say, his fifth birthday. Why can't he play the viola like me??

Get him ear plugs or headphones. Hearing protection of any kind. Children have no sense of volume, and no sense of using their strength at anything but maximum. He will have permanent hearing loss within five minutes of playing if you don't make him use hearing protection.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Bonzo posted:

Maybe show him pictures of drummers using ear monitors

ngl I have no need for custom molded in ear monitors, but drat if I don't want a pair because of how cool they look/how cool I feel they'd make me look. I've been trying to convince the cover band to start using backing tracks, but the guitarist hates them :(

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

So my Roland TD-17KV came and I started putting it all together last night before bed. One thing I thought of is I'm not exactly sure how to place everything. I watched a video from Roland UK on it that was marginally useful, and obviously I can try to set up everything to be comfortable, but I'm worried I'll set it up in a way that gives me bad habits or makes RSI more likely or something.

Google had a lot of resources on this to a point, but you m not exactly confident. This thing is pretty customizable - it's the compact stand, for what that might matter.

It's harder with an e-kit cuz there's no snare stand much body to the snare pad, but start by sitting on the throne. Make sure you're at a height where your knees are at a little more than a 90° angle so you're not cutting off circulation to your lower extremities.

Then put the bass pedal under your right foot, making sure your foot is in line with your thigh. Pretend the snare is real and has a stand, forcing your left leg to the left. Your legs should be open ~50-70°. Slide the hi hat pedal under your left foot.

If your arms are hanging from your shoulders and your elbows are at a 90°, the center of the snare should be at the tips of your sticks. Everything else should be in a semi-circle around you. Your instinct might be to position everything as close to you as possible, especially the "floor" tom(s). Ignore that. The problem with this will be most noticable with floor toms: you'll need to twist your spine and pull your elbow behind your torso, both of which are slow movements, the former of which is damaging.

Pic is my roommate's kit, but he's moving out at the end of the month :(

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I started off playing 2/1 because of rock music, but when I started learning jazz I switched to 1/1. I started doing contemporary rock musicals and switched back to 2/1, but didn't like how far away the ride was or that I had to have both rack toms super high up so they weren't scratching up the bass drum. I switched back to 1/1 because honestly no one's gonna be able to tell the difference in any improvised fills, or the literally two fills in my cover band's three hour set.

This e-kit belongs to the guitarist in my mathmetal band (he plays drums in some other bands) and he does 0/2 because for him the extra work of mounting a rack tom and trying to position it is a waste of time when you could just set another floor tom next to you and be done with it. I'm inclined to agree, plus I wanted a 14" floor tom for jazz, so I drilled some holes in my 14" rack tom (jeez, who even? that thing was always tipping stands over) and made it into a floor tom.

I do 1/2 for the mathmetal band now cuz I still like the rack tom (in a snare stand though, so I can have it lower+faster to get to), and it'll allow me to put my SPD-SX closer when I finally get a real stand for it instead of using a tv dinner stand off to my left