Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hello there! I'm starting a band with my friend. I have a question, if that's okay?

He wants to do acoustic and I have my heart set on drums(possibly electronic; I don't have enough cash for anything beyond a five piece normal set). Do the two work together?

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RandomCheese posted:

Yeah they work fine, listen to Nirvana unplugged for a good example. You will have to play pretty lightly so as to not completely overwhelm his guitar, if he plays through an amplifier you will have a bit more elbow room but you will still have to show serious restraint. An electronic kit will be ideal because you can pick drums sounds to complement an acoustic guitar nicely, as well as easily adjusting the volume to match his levels.

Hm, that's disappointing, but we'll work it out. We're still months away from when I even get the money to buy our instruments anyway, so we have a lot of time to work on everything before then.

We only just decided to do this today and I know nothing about playing or music making in general, so I'm a bit nervous but extremely excited with the concept. I'm one hundred percent dedicated to music making and the only way this isn't gonna happen is if my band mate dies or something. I don't think he's played guitar before, so we're going to be diving into this together.

I know I probably sound like an idiot, but I'm going to do my best to learn, practice, and be the best drummer I can.

Any suggestions for an under four hundred electronic kit(I can compromise though if there's just a really great set I need to have over that)? This is what I'm looking at right now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Alright, I'll get some practice stuff and books and start at them right away. Thanks a lot for the advice!