Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Yeah, what kind of music are you writing? Rock? Electronic? Putting a beat to something isn't really a music theory thing to me, it's just something that is intuitively felt. If that doesn't really make sense to you, then start paying specific attention to the drums when you're listening to music, and play along by patting your hands on your legs. One hand with the hi-hat, the other with the snare and tap your foot to the bass drum.

If you keep concentrating on listening to the drums, you should get a feel for how beats fit with the music.
Next, try coming up with a beat of your own in 4/4, still tapping on your legs. Once you've got it going, imagine an instrumental groove or melody in your head that could go with the beat you're tapping out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds
For a specific example: This song is in 7/4 time. The snare drum in this song hits on beats 2, 4, and 6, which makes a 2-2-3 feel.

Listen to your own tunes, and tap out a beat that matches the feel. I don't think I'm very good at articulating myself when it comes to music, but I hope this helps you in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU