Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
That's one of the better Craigslist postings overall that I've ever seen selling gear. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Ahh good ol' Rodnel :unsmith:

Yeah they're pretty gimmicky and amusing but, same - I need that tactile response plus, y'know, something to rebound off of.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Grump posted:

It makes me so happy every time I hear it

Speaking of "happy" HEY OH :rimshot: this guy made this really boring song about 115 times more interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ga4G6kxIU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

I Might Be Adam posted:

Is it the angle of the photo or is that bass drum slightly misshaped?
Looks normal to me, just beat up. :shrug:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
So I was getting, more or less, exactly what you described but on my left hand on the inside of the second knuckle of my middle finger. From the best I could tell it was from big snare down beats, german grip, over 15-19 years or so. I play with the snare fairly high and a lot of rim. If I hold the two fingers up, tip to tip (like I'm double flipping someone off) you can see that the knuckle is still kind of swollen or calcium built up or something. I honestly don't know how or why it happened but it definitely started getting sore "on the inside" but not unmanageable. :airquote:Fortunately:airquote: I've since retired from that whole be-in-a-band thing and the pain went away instantly. The knuckle is still larger? different? But the pain is gone. Of course, related to that, I also don't play drums quite as much anymore so obviously that's why the ache and tenderness has subsided.

So, hmm, I guess that really doesn't help you at all and is mere anecdotal commiseration? :v: Looking at your set up it really shouldn't be causing you too much of an issue. I mean, that's pretty much how I usually park my ride and I usually use big clanky bell-centric rides (22" A Custom for YEARS, 22" Meinl Soundcaster Fusion the last year and that was it WAY thicker) and never, ever had a problem with my right side joints.

Maybe I missed it but, what ride exactly is it that's been the culprit? I mean, that really shouldn't even matter. Hell the old zildjian chunk'o'metal Earth Ride or 24" Alpha Rock Ride shouldn't matter as long as you're not death-gripping your sticks. That is the only thing, mechanically, that I could think would be the culprit at this point; your hand eating up too much of the vibration of stick-on-tin. Weird.

Quick question: what brand of stick are you primarily using?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Weird, I've used a 20K and 22K for years (as crashes mostly, laff) and never ever had a problem. Those have always actually felt kinda "soft".
Been using 5Bn's since I think the first show I ever played - but, same: using the ProMark Hickory's and they definitely feel clunky. All I can say is start at the root: your grip. Then your set up. Then try a different brand of stick. :shrug: But if you're not comfortable on the kit - dude, seriously, fix that first, foremost and fast. Ergonomics got a long way.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Ahhh ol' Mangini before his hair extension(s). :3:

edit: pluralized.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 28, 2014

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Handen posted:

Can anyone tell me who makes the tom and beneath-ride mic clamps shown in this picture that are mounted to the drum stand hardware, and where I might purchase such items?

Ha I haven't seen those types of mic clamps in yeaaaaaaaaaaaaars. Those are old as poo poo, can't remember the name off of the top of my head (going googling in a sec) and there are bunches of other just-as-good options around as well.

But it's seriously annoying me that I can't remember what these are since I've used them a ton of times over the years - I just haven't seen them much in the last 5 or so years of touring. :D

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Sheesh, I wish I ever had a regimented practice routine. Ever since :airquote: retiring :airquote: from the whole be-in-a-band thing late last year it's pretty much:
  • find a cool rudiment/lick/fill on youtube
  • break it down
  • practice the poo poo out of it on pad and/or kit until I get it down
  • rinse-repeat

That and record songs for buddies at home is about it these days. :shrug: I still like playing, for sure, I've just never, in all my years, had dedicated studying and practice schedules (outside of band practices).

I probably should have though. :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bonzo posted:

So I've been playing for nearly 30 years. In the last 5 or 6 years I took a break from playing because I was burned out with the band I was in and wanted to learn some new instruments.

I'd like to get back into playing but the house I live in now isn't really drum friendly. I tend to play kinda loud and I don't want to be that guy in the subdivision.

I've had a look around at a few electronic kits and they seem ok but I was wondering if anyone here at any experience.

So I have the old TD-20 kit from when I was apartment living and two acoustic kits at home and while I will always, always prefer to play the acoustic kit, the roland set was nice to have around when I had to be quiet. Just note that they are TERRIBLY overpriced (rolaaaaaaand :argh:). That being said, I also can't stand the kits that have the solid rubber pads as "drums". Mesh drums all the way. Did you have any specific questions about 'em?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Grump posted:

Is there any shot of my $700 Pearl Forum Series set sounding good in a uncarpeted basement?

I'm in the middle of turning my drumset, taking advice from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udooOap4m2c and I can't get these things to lose the overtones. In fact, I've never gotten them to sound good because I've only ever kept my set in house basements over the years.

I haven't put tape on the heads yet, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had serious problems getting rid of overtones while playing in a really echo-y part of their house.

Change your heads, carpet the room; buy a new drumset? :v: Seriously though, if you're playing in a concrete box see what you can do to have... less of that. All that stuff nukes the low end and bounces frequencies around everywhere. In your standard "band" set up, nothing is effected more by the room you're playing in than the drums. But, yeah, those Forums are gonna be tone-happy anyway. Rehead and gel/tape up.

Bonzo posted:

I'm also curious about how cymbals are handled. The hi hat would take some getting used to but there doesn't seem to be any option to get the effect of playing the bell or base of a ride cymbal.

The ride cymbals (CY-15R's) on the upper end rolands have three zones: Edge body and bell - that's why there is two cables running to it. Crashes have two zones, Edge and bow. Hi hats have three and sensitivity for how hard you're compressing them - also w/ two separate cables running to it. I can't speak for the low end models though cause I haven't played any of those in forever.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Martytoof posted:

and I'm always finger drumming on my desk but that's not really relevant.

I mean, this is literally how I got started some 21-odd years ago. From tapping on everything (and annoying everyone within earshot) to the old drumsticks-on-pillows, to my parents finally letting me have a kit in the house that I A: had to pay for myself and B: could only practice on when they weren't home when I was a wee Duke. :3: Now I'm what constitues an :airquote: adult :airquote: with three drums sets and a billion mics in the dining room of my house. Basically what I'm trying to say is: Welcome to the slippery slope, Marty.

Martytoof posted:

I'd be just as happy with a djembe or other hand drum if I really wanted to carry on playing at home or not in a classroom setting. I've learned over the years that I have absolutely no interest in contemporary drumming in the sense of a modern drum kit, but the more primitive simplistic drums really do appeal to me.

...whoa whoa whoa there, hippie. :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

timp posted:

I agree, that counts for more than you'd think! I like identifying which of my friends have rhythm and would actually take well to percussion by the quality of their finger drumming, improv song writing abilities, foot tapping, whatever. After nearly a decade of teaching young people, including non-musicians, to play percussion, distinguishing between those with a natural sense of rhythm and those without can be crucial when trying to place someone in an ensemble.

Yeah lately I've taken to giving my girlfriend drumming lessons as A: for me to learn how to teach people from the ground floor and B: she's actually interested and is picking up things surprisingly fast. There's a slight bit of a height difference between us (literally a foot shorter) so that's made things slightly interesting for her. :v:

timp posted:

What kind of experience or impression does everyone here have on drumlines?

Zero. I've just woodshedded with drumline buddies in the past and traded ideas and rudiments and whatnot. He was a fantastic snare player, and I was always the better kit player, but we always managed to trade ideas and fun beats around. :shrug:

Kodo posted:

You also see players develop a particular technique on marching snare that is often carried over to drum set. More of a personal preference thing but it can affect your sound if you approach drum set with that mindset.

Yeah I've noticed that, with all of the drumline folk I've ever sat down at a kit, they're insanely rigid and stiff when it comes to "dude just relax and groove" time. :D Oh they sure as poo poo have the technique down but everything always felt so stiff.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah mixing brands is no big deal since all the big manufactures have equivalent lines, really. And if you've been using the same heads since you bought the kit, yeah, it's probably time to swap em out. It's no hard-and-fast rule with me, but usually I swap out my resonants every 3rd time I do a bulk batter changing. Unless, of course, there's damage, gouges (from show set up and break down, moving etc) or dishing out. This applies to toms and kick drum, for the most part. Snares, however, I'll rock a head on those things for as long as it wants to stay sounding good. I've run across old 5.5x14 acrolite snares (seriously why are these things so in vogue right now?) that has the oldest, scungiest heads on it but sound so good that I couldn't even fathom swapping them out.

My one and only hard and fast rule: If you buy a new kit - burn the stock heads. Swap those turds off immediately.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

I Might Be Adam posted:

You'd think drum manufacturers would team up with a head manufacturer and do a partnership but then that would probably screw up endorsement deals and some other dumb poo poo. Why hasn't Ludwig/DW/Tama invested money into a drum head line that is worth a poo poo? Then those people that have matching drum and hardware manufacturers could complete the holy trinity.

Which brings me to a stupid question. Do people really care about matching drums and hardware brands? I had a guy ask me at an audition why I had pearl hardware mixed with my Yamaha kit and hardware.

Mixing cymbal brands on the other hand :argh:

To part A: It all comes down to :homebrew: - those stock heads are just one-ply bullshit stamp-outs with their logo badly silkscreened on them primarily just to have something to hold the rims and rods in place and protect the bearing edges during shipping.

As to part B about drum/hardware brands my answer is simple: Gear Queens always be Gear Queening. :v:

And part C...? Brand loyalty is bullshit. Get whatever sounds good to you and more importantly: to the music you're playing. Now mixing lines inside those brands is a different thing. If you have a $300 Meinl ride mixed in with B8 crashes or a ZBT hi-hat... :frogout:

I Might Be Adam posted:

Ok, fair enough but it always seemed weird when people would play in bands and have to borrow gear because they refused to fix/replace their broken stuff. I had a friend borrow a backup snare for a show and it turned into a year or something... because he broke the head on his snare.

I've lost track of how many times I'll be out on tour and a local band (emphasis on the LOCAL to the city we're traveling to) wants to use my kit because something something excuses excuses lazy/cheap/drunko/shithead drummer dude couldn't be pissed to bring his trash CB set down to the venue.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
This thread has stalled / gotten boring so let's play a game...

Related to the above: Count how many different brands I'm using. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOocMJ9nRRM

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

praxis posted:

I guess I kinda turned into a gear queen because I slowly replaced all my various stands and pedals with DW gear. I think I just want everything to match for some pointless reason.

I mean, mostly I kid. Having your stuff all one brand isn't really being a gear queen. It's the dudes that have 1 billion pieces that all must be some weird niche company or focus more and buying junk instead of, y'know actually practicing rudiments and whatnot that are the GQ's. :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Martytoof posted:

Completely shattered my illusion that you were some slobby, fat Bruins fan. Thanks a lot :mad:

Will you accept mildly-out-of-shape, semi-old Bruins fan? :v:

literally the worst skater getting ready for never-ever-babby's-first-drop-in-hockey soon

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
My old Galaxy S2 had a drift / recorded just slightly off to where things would get out of place over time. Cell phones a lovely camcorder make. :shrug:

For multi angles now I use my go pro as primary, S5 as one angle and the old, drifty S2 as another cut away angle. When poo poo starts getting off on the S2 I just cut back to primary or S5 and resynch the S2 on the timeline in the background.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Your tablet might be playing whatever you're playing along to too fast/slow.

Can you just run a long rear end headphone cord to wherever you're recording your drums to and play the song from there? Keeping your audio sources in the same place would hopefully eliminate one variable... :shrug:

Basically: put that song on the second track like you've been doing and just not arming record on that track and play along to that while you record your drums on the other track.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

thunderspanks posted:

It's possible that audacity is converting to 44.1 from 48k on import. So if you created a session in 44.1k to record the drums, and then imported a 48k music file, a sample rate conversion may be taking place to conform it and thus you would see 44.1 when checking the file info in the session. I'm not familiar with audacity specifically and how it handles sample rate mismatches but this would be the case in pro tools and I assume there is similar functionality.

Reaper does this exact same thing and will show a little "RESAMPLED FROM [XX.X]k" in the corner of each object of every track effected by the project rate conversion. I get it all the time as a buddy I record drums for frequently lives in 44.1 while I'm usually up higher.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Takes No Damage posted:

Now I just need a 20ft male to female stereo cable and I'm all set :v: Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know if I ever get things straightened out.

20? That's it?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5591&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5593&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5594&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5595&seq=1&format=2 <-- :chanpop:
:v:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 19, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Kodo posted:

At that length wouldn't there be serious signal degradation? Good golly

:shrug: It's just a headphone feed. You might have to amp it up after a certain length depending on your headphones, sure. But I'd only worry about cable lengths on sends, not receives, for low-stress home recording and play-alongs.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I joined the Navy about 2 years ago, and I was really worried that this would be the point in my life where I became one of those guys who "used to play." Being on a ship, away from civilization means a lack of room and opportunity to play. I came to the conclusion that if that happens it's my own drat fault, and I need be creative if I want to keep playing.

So I figured out a solution...

The images finally loaded so I'm double posting just to point how rad this is. :golfclap:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Heh thanks... Posting from my phone using the awful app... Its IMG tags didn't work right for some reason.

The front of the case sure is ugly... My plan is to cover it in the fuzzy side of Velcro and stick patches all over it. Pilots always have rad patches and it will be an excuse to try to get some off of them... Plus it will be a cool take on the stickers all over a suitcase thing.

That's a neat idea. Wait, no, steal some of their nomex flight suits and cover it in that and apply velcro as needed per patch. They won't mind, right?!? :v:

I'm halfway tempted to build one of these with all the odds and ends I've got lying around and grab a couple cheap toms off of craigslist. The one thing I'd want to try is to cut a 14-16" tom in ½ and do sorta like you did with mounting it into the suitcase - except port it through and put the other ½ of the chopped tom on the front with a ported hole - thereby making the whole suitcase a resonating thing. And just make removable covers for inside the suitcase like you did to protect the back side of the kick drum head.

Oh and btw - you are now 100% required to post some video or audio of this thing in use!

Takes No Damage posted:

Now to head over to the home recording thread and see what's the best mic I can get for $60. By starting to try and record stuff I've fallen into a really deep rabbit hole haven't I guys? :v:

Hah, probably. For $60 you won't find much, though, unless you can find a person selling an SM-58 for cheap on CL

edit: Rabbit hole indeed: I don't want to even think about how much money is sitting in my "dining room"...

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 20, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Jazz Marimba posted:

If I ever get a house, this is probably gonna happen to every room except the kitchen, and maaaybe a bedroom. That's frickin' gorgeous. Did you soundproof the walls, or do your neighbors hate/love you?

I didn't do a dern thing - though I need to treat the (low) ceiling and bass traps - possibly rearrange the other side of the room. It's not "bad" but it could be way better. Fortunately, though, I have everyone's back yards butting up against my house so there's some distance between all of us and the neighbor who lives closest is a super rad guy who basically told me to "just keep playing, maaaaaaaaan." :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Was at a weirdo antique/junk store and came dangerously, dangerously close to buying an old suitcase today THANKS A LOT JESUS

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
e: ^^^ hah yeah, pretty much. roto toms, octobans, splash cymbals, stacks - flanger, reverb, phaser, overdrive. :v: Different sounds for different pleasures.

---

I have 3 kits (two acoustic, one v-drum that never leaves home) and I don't even want to know how many random cymbals from over the years, and inside of those two acoustic kits one is just a 3 piece and the other is a 7 piece that frequently gets used as a 4 piece (one rack, two floor) and as little as a hi-hat, crash and ride to more-than-I'd-like-to-haul around.

It literally, literally just depends on what type of music/gig it is I'm playing. :shrug:

Use a billion pieces, use one - just make sure it fits the tune(s).

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 12, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'm always surprised how much fun playing on a big kit can be but then I remember how having all that gear is only fun to play, never to tear down, set up, and transport.

Yeah my former band wanted me to take the big-ish kit (wasn't really THAT big; like Brann Dailor +-sized) but yeah they didn't have to haul all that poo poo around. :argh: Then again those orange 4 12's way a loving ton as well.

Just lemme use my 1 rack 2 floor set, guys. :(

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I have that same ride kicking around. It is A Good Ride. :golfclap:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Always learn your rudiments

Never not learn your rudiments.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

SA tends to like small kits, and that's fine,

I only started liking smaller kits when I got in my late 30's, started touring waaaay more and ran across increasingly douchey stage/venue managers and sound guys who try to hurry the gently caress out of you. :v: I was doing sorta progish-instrumental-metal/rock so I tried to simplify the "bigger kit" as much as possible so I could get everything up there in as few trips as possible.

and gently caress racks. gently caress them to heeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllll! :argh:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
When I was on tour the callouses were my best friend and the constant playing would usually keep them around. Otherwise it was just tape tape tape tape tape. Now, since it's been about a year since I left all that, my hands are baby soft once more.

So yeah, tape.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Purdie Shuffle
The Rosanna Shuffle
The Amen Break
Gadd's 50 Ways

I always hate moments like these because I'm forgetting like a billion of them but yeah there IS and there ISN'T names to things.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Quick note: if your kick trigger has a mesh head (like roland TD-20 et al) make sure you use the plastic/rubber side of the beater and not the felt side. :science:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Welcome to the worst part of the gigging drummer.

Cases. Always cases. Unless it's a junker kit or whatever.. Having handles on the bags/cases and a bag/case with wheels for all the hardware is the best.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Dude. :golfclap: You did a really good loving job with that.

I want to play it real bad. :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yes.

also lol @ roto toms.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
This thread has been quiet and boring for, literally, all month.

So here, have a thing I just did yesterday for a project Troy Wright is putting together. Not anywhere near my best take but I just flat ran out of time to do another/better one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v16ssO3mP8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/5549846200.html

I mean... come on dude it practically sells itself! :v: