Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
:golfclap:

Next I demand PizzaBlast™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bonzo posted:

this guy's YouTube channel includes him paying a few popular songs as if Lars Ulrich had recorded them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GAK39PHFAk

Takes No Damage posted:

My instructor said Lars's trademark was hitting the snare with crash instead of the more common bass. I guess I never really noticed before but once you actually look for it holy poo poo :lol:

Hahaha I'll be damned I've never noticed that before but it's spot on. I do, however, almost feel sorry for this guy - if he's not careful he's going to get stuck playing like that. :v:

"gently caress, I ulrich'd myself again!"

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

RivensBitch posted:

Hey folks! Been a while. I'm selling some drum stuff! Crosspost from S-Mart:

Zildjian 14" hi-hats - z custom top, a custom bottom

So this was only ~ a month ago but what do those Z/A hi hats sound like and do you even still have them and how much?
And/or how much for the PD120 and PD100 - your ebay page is dead.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I usually use the regular EMAD - the EMAD 2 is a little too thick and clunky for my tastes but that's totally just personal preference.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Takes No Damage posted:

and realize even nondescript guys like the drummers for the Zombies or the Monkees

Yes.... those :airquote:nondescript guys:airquote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrecking_Crew_(music) :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Jazz Marimba posted:

Moeller technique for daaaaays

Eeeyuuuuup.
Makes doing it for longer tunes easy as heck.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
There's less than you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHwhQs0Dozk

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Ahhh, really? My bad my dumb brain/feet always found that to be the easier part of that song. Me and my old guitar player used to do the intro of that song sometimes when the other ½ of the band was tuning. We had no idea we both knew it until one of us started dicking around during sound check one night. :v:

That beat just feels like a goofy, galloping horse to me.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Ugh I'm not even doing the Be-In-A-Band thing anymore and I'm still buying drums wtf am I doing thread?!? I think I already have plenty. :smithicide:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
That's seriously 95% of the reason I watch his videos anymore: the running commentary while he grooves it out

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I've had a TD-20 set for like 8-9 years, a PC, reaper, 2x presonus firestudios and I've STILL never bothered to hook up the TD-20 -> midi -> my computer

What the gently caress is wrong with me? :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

AndrewP posted:

Doo itttt. Then try a nice, natural sounding roll on your snare. Ahhh.
Sold.

Anybody got any good youtubes of where to start setting this poo poo up and/or recommendations of what drum samples pack I should buy that works well with reaper or whatever?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

AndrewP posted:

I have no idea. I just have the most basic Addicitive Drums into Garageband set up and I still hardly know what I'm doing in terms of manipulating the actual drum samples.

So I haven't been up on the latest and greatest E-drums but I guess they have a new $7500 TD-50? I just listened to it on Youtube and laughed. After all these years they still sound like poo poo.

e: after some more listening it doesn't sound THAT awful, I guess. which is what you want when you're dropping over $7k.

No, seriously, some of the drum models (not samples!:science:) are the exact same sounds on my ~13 year old TD-20 and suffer from the exact same machine gunning. :sad: I remember seeing a couple youtubes on it semi recently and just being, like... what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck how is that an update?

AND it has fully TWO LESS TOM PADS than mine came with. :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Holy poo poo I love everything about this

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I've had a buddy also bust a dw footboard in half a bunch of years ago and another that had his turn into a useless hunk of junk. For as ubiquitous as they were in the late 90's & early/mid 2000's they were really pieces of poo poo.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I've gotten that before on certain songs that had syncopated double kick junk and the slave pedal would be rebounding in inopportune places due to the tempo/pattern of the song. I think I just jacked up my seat a couple inches and didn't notice it much after that.

Related enough I guess: I feel every year or two I raise my seat up more and more. When I'm 60 I'll probably have phone books jammed underneath.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah all of the really tall drummers I've ever known were conversely all of the lowest-sitting drummers I've ever known. I'm average-sized-af (5'10" and probably shrinking in my middle-age) and that seat keeps going up up up

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
:lol::lol: that loving anime sticker on your snare

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

AndrewP posted:

Pulled the trigger on the Alesis Strike Pro. Too good of a package at too good of a price to pick anything else. Seems like most of the initial problems were ironed out with firmware updates, though I am prepared to buy some used VH-11 hats. I'll report back once I get some playing time on it.

After watching this video I swear it sounds like Alesis is borrowing some of the exact same old TD-20 roland drum modelling. :thunk: Some of those toms and cymbals sound exactly the same.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah hosed up hi hat triggers in particular (don't make a triggered joke don't make a triggered joke) are especially frustrating/off-putting since I move those little jerks non stop in everything.

Hope you get a replacement tut suite

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
they're real but the kick's probably triggered (whatever) but yeah he's playing along.

Those vocals are canned as hell though.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Peart's always been into incorporating electronics with or into his kits and with how old and broken down he was getting on that last tour (or two) I wouldn't be shocked at all if they put in straight up triggered acoustic samples just due to velocity and average volume levels

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yes...... Come in to the drum thread to ask us idiots if you think you should buy the shiny new drumset. :v:

(If you haven't bought them yet you're a jerk)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
The thread has been quiet lately so here have a song from last night's practice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjDiMkeRe4A
Such lovely audio from that gopro plug-in microphone... really adds a lot of something to those drum tones.
and that something is "cardboard poo poo"

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

♫ I've got it bad got it bad got it baaaaaaaaaaaad... i'm hot fo' teacher... ♫

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bonzo posted:

wtf
Maybe I was too stoned to see it back then but does he have four bass drums tied together?

dude that's not even close to as weird as he got with his kicks

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?273453-A-Study-of-Alex-Van-Halen-s-Bass-Drums

^^^ go look at the pictures in there

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 21, 2018

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Takes No Damage posted:

Also what the hell kind of cymbal is that in the foreground? I don't know what I would ever do with one but I kind of want one now...

A 17 or 19" Sabian Holy China

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

fzA455 posted:

e: This thread is way too slow!! Where are the drummers?

ded. I actually don't play a whole heck of a lot these days despite poo poo being all set up. I blame it on being 41 or something. :shrug: That, and I'm just not as excited about music like when I was younger. I'm pretty sure there's an Onion or The Hard Times article about that. :D

Anyway since you totally asked here's some junk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOocMJ9nRRM

(edit: man I have a whole bunch of old footage from shows I should do something with)

Also the knee pain thing is definitely new to me but, yeah like you said, my first inclination is to check your seat height and distance from your pedal. Also Takes No Damage is there already a preexisting knee issue? You shouldn't be thunk'ing down with your whole leg - think of it as sproinging up and down on the ball of your foot. Like your lower leg-ankle-ball of foot is one spring - that way when you drop your leg, you can also flex your foot down on the leg's rebound to get a second "stroke"/beater hit out your motion.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
that Supportive Father loving poo poo Up one still cracks me up every time I see it

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Shut up and post videos, thing-hitter! :colbert:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Olive! posted:

tightening one just sounds like it raises the pitch of all of them. I've been trying on a 10" and a 12" tom. I've played a buttload of instruments and I assumed by ears should be capable of this. I'm frustrated and ready to give up for today.

Question 1: you using flanged or die cast rims?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Olive! posted:

How do I find out, I can't find a clear explanation with visual reference.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
As someone who's played a lot of shows and tours: yeah gently caress rack bars. I did that a couple times in my early 20s and never ever ever ever again.

Three toms up on just stands is easy

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

I Might Be Adam posted:

So glad I don’t lug all that anymore.

For reals.

Show kit (minus the crash on the far right):

Home kit:
https://youtu.be/mZNipPFTWiw

Fuuuuuuuck hauling all that around anymore

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah that's pretty much what I take to shows as well. And what up 24" kick buddy :hfive:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Takes No Damage posted:

Now when you say 'solid' do you mean it in the jazz sense? Like, "Hey that jazz solo was really solid, man."?

I kid, but that bit of the video you pointed out was basically exactly the advice I was looking for:

Moving the big floor tom further away makes it... easier... to reach? What sorcery is this? LRLR is still a little awkward but I no longer feel like I'm about to dislocate my shoulder when I try to play a song with a bunch of 8th notes on the big drum, so :thanks: for that.

This is how I've set my double floor toms up for years and was going to suggest. Think about it: you hit and go around the toms in more of a wide arc than tight and kinda behind you like the 1st way you had it

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
yeah but then you're not disrupting the paradigm

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
really? I give all y'all the the underhand toss and no one comes back with "yeah but then you're not disrupting the paradiddle"

shameful drummers... shameful! :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Get new tension rods big whoop :shrug:

You can get packs of Gibraltar/pearl/dw all over the internets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Jazz Marimba posted:

but I also kinda hate the wrap. Would that be a pain/expensive to redo?

That's definitely an ol rockstar™ of some sort - I'm guessing probably early/mid 2000's

Refinishing: nope the wood under there is gonna look like poo poo
Rewrapping: knock yourself out.