Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jazz Marimba posted:

I just joined a taiko group e: started taking taiko lessons, so look forward to a section on that, in addition to latin and hand percussion!

e: language barriers sure are a thing

Did you continue on with taiko at all? I just signed up for some intro lessons and I'm really looking forward to it, but I have zero idea of what I'm getting into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks!

I have no percussion experience so I'm not expecting much from my first time. I just love taiko and when I saw a class locally I had to jump on it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK so Taiko trip report:

Amazingly fun. I wasn't expecting to be any good at it and sure enough I wasn't at first, but as things progressed I feel like I did a pretty good job without making a fool of myself. The intro to stretching, positioning, striking, etc. was pretty thorough and they just threw me behind a drum pretty much immediately afterwards.

We worked on "Hiryu Sandan Gaeshi" which I guess is a thing that Taiko people know, and I felt like I held my own. After initial corrections I did a really good job keeping pace. An hour and a half in I started getting flustered and my arms were giving out, and I was making really dumb mistakes and mental errors, all kinds of going off-rhythm, but with a little time I think that's all stuff I can fix.

Signed up for two months of weekly lessons on the spot because $150 is a ridiculously good price (imho) for two months of fun poo poo.

I have no realistic expectations of being insanely great at this any time soon, but I walked out of the studio feeling like I could probably be respectable at it with enough practice. For someone who's literally never picked up a pair of drum sticks (or any kind of instrument since high school) I felt drat good about being able to keep pace and pick up the techniques.

Now I'm just being an internet sperg looking up prices on drums or making my own wine barrel taiko or something, like I usually do when I fall in love with a hobby so I'll take that as a good sign.

edit: I found that I did a LOT better when I stopped looking down at my drum and watched myself in the mirror. Helped my form tremendously.

edit2: loving hip flexor is going to hate me though. So sore.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 15, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

timp posted:

That's awesome! I love hearing that music, percussion specifically, can have a positive effect on a person like that. I have a few questions, and forgive me if you've already mentioned the answers in this thread:

1. Did you have any sort of musical background or experience prior to this?
2. Is this all leading up to some sort of recital or concert, or are you solely doing it for the enjoyment you get during practices? Taiko's not exactly the kind of instrument you can just bust out at a party, or while hanging out at your house on a lazy Sunday...it's kind of an ensemble thing, right?

No worries.

Practically no experience with instruments. I took a guitar class in high school and failed it like a champ because I was figuratively all thumbs. My experience with drumming is literally nonexistent. I think I may have sat down at a drum set once and my eyes made this kind of O_o thing. I think I've got a good sense of rhythm and I'm always finger drumming on my desk but that's not really relevant.

No recital or concert planned. I've been fascinated with Taiko since I went to Epcot in 1997 and watched the ensemble they have performing at the Japanese pavilion. I caught Kodo on tour in Florida too, and I've been off and on "rediscovering" it every few months when I manage to remember it. I don't really know where I expect to take this hobby. If I can find a likeminded set of taiko enthusiasts in the area then I'm happy to entertain playing together, otherwise I think I'll be perfectly happy just doing it once a week in a lesson format until I get tired of it.

I'm not married to Taiko either. I love the booming sound and rhythm, but when it comes down to it I think I'd be just as happy with a djembe or other hand drum if I really wanted to carry on playing at home or not in a classroom setting. I've learned over the years that I have absolutely no interest in contemporary drumming in the sense of a modern drum kit, but the more primitive simplistic drums really do appeal to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Was talking with my taiko teacher today about making a wine barrel drum. I think I found my summer project. I'm going to try to document it for when I have to explain to people why I only have four fingers .. total.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Completely shattered my illusion that you were some slobby, fat Bruins fan. Thanks a lot :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp for SCHEDULING REASONS I have to bow out of my Taiko class, but after like 2 months of doing it I think it's super awesome and everyone should try it, even if it's just attending a one hour workshop. Still plan to go through with my dumb idea of building a wine barrel Taiko drum this summer if I can find the time, so I'll probably post progress pics if it gets to that stage. If I can find one that doesn't conflict with other stuff I'll definitely go back to banging on a big drum weekly too.