Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
Key word being 'stock'. Bought a Tama Soul Toul that came with a remo ambassador head, which is decent enough for out of the box. But yeah, burn all stock heads. Do drum manufacturers enjoy making these great drums and putting poo poo heads on them? Someone explain that business logic.

Jazz Marimba posted:

Unrelatedly, drum parts written by non-percussionists are the most frustrating thing ever. I can't believe we have to learn how to read and write their music, but they can get away with not knowing the difference between a cymbal notehead and a drum notehead, which drum goes on which line, or how to write parts that are even playable >:|

I find it frustrating especially when Google searching "percussion notation" brings up PAS' perfectly reasonable notation system. I don't know about Finale, but Sibelius defaults to that notation system as well. My favorite are the ones who just say "oh! Just play anything you want, make something up." *throws sticks at wall*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

At that length wouldn't there be serious signal degradation? Good golly

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

Re: beats and their descriptions -> https://youtu.be/PTuFEikcbmM

It's been my experience that though people speak generally about grooves and beats, a non-drummer will try to convey a feeling or expression and it can be something specific, and that can be influenced by something as simple as how you visually look when you play a fill or groove.

Anyway, I like how Yogi in this video describes beats as being 'vertical' and 'horizontal', as that is a decent descriptor of what's going on. You can't express it, it just feels good/right. I think it does help to be able to catalog more 'feelings'/grooves, but that just comes with time and experience and a lot of listening. That way you aren't caught playing gigantic rock fills during a small combo restaurant gig.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

:dealwithit:

Also take care to not get it stolen: http://www.thedrummersjournal.com/blog/interview-with-an-instrument-thief

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

JesusDoesVegas posted:

I used to go watch the same drummer every Wednesday night play in this killer jazz trio, then rip him off completely at band practice on Saturday.

I basically did this from age 19-22. Probably the most important drum instruction I had ever received.

recently my newest favoritest drummer, Scott Pellegrom. How he manages to connect all these sounds I'll never know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fTI_BCR3Pg

There's way more little ideas on his YT page, I don't know why all the recordings of his band are so poo poo, though.

Kodo fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'm 6'5" so I've always had this issue but as I've gotten older (and fatter) I've raised the stool even more to avoid feeling like I'm squatting.

I hate getting old. I've been raising my throne every year and why is it house kits have to have floor toms with legs made for smurfs. Also my body hurts everywhere because I played a crash cymbal