Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

I Might Be Adam posted:

I've used Evans G2 coated forever but always put a clear reso head on the bottom. For me, the reso head doesn't matter much. I think i'm using the stock ludwig reso heads that came with the kit. I haven't found a better combination of warmth and just enough sustain to hear the tone of the drum. Whenever I hear that combination, I can't imagine them not working in any live band situation.

I just swapped out my Coated Emperors for Clear G2s (with clear Emperor reso heads) and have been really happy with the tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

I Might Be Adam posted:

Mixing cymbal brands on the other hand :argh:
I feel the same but that Sabian HHX Omni (OMG IT'S JOJO MAYER) ride is really tempting me.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

I guess I kinda turned into a gear queen because I slowly replaced all my various stands and pedals with DW gear. I think I just want everything to match for some pointless reason.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

timp posted:

That Surf Music Beat, lol

People always seem to come into this thread to ask what certain beats are called, but in all honestly very few beats have names! Even really distinctive and iconic ones like that one are usually just tagged as the name of the song they most famously appeared in. To me, that's the Wipeout beat, but even that could be confusing because people often think of the Wipeout drum solo first.

As for beats not really being named, my guess would be because drummers are stupid drum set is a unique instrument in that improvisation is not just expected, but 99% of the time it's encouraged. Therefore, even the most iconic part of a beat, in this case the "2 +" snare hit, may not always be played in every measure depending on what's going on in the other parts, the drummer's mood, or whatever. The closest we come is in naming individual styles of beats, like rock, samba, bossa, disco (lol), etc; that way, the drummer doesn't feel too locked into any one beat. Kind of unfortunate though because most drum set you hear is all grouped in as "rock" and since we hear a lot of it, we pick up on differences like the one in your example, and it'd be nice if they had names.

That's my guess, anyway.

Yeah, there are names for fills and rudiments but not entire beats (usually).

Since it wouldn't be a rule without an exception there ARE beats like "Four on the Floor."

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

When traveling to gigs do you guys break your kit down into cases or do you break it down just enough to get it to the show? I have cases but we also have an enclosed trailer and GODDAMN do I get tired of breakdown and setup. We're a local-only band so it's not like we spend hours on the road.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

I downsized my kit last year and really prefer having fewer toms and cymbals. But I'm also really anal about playing cover music and want my part to sound as close to the studio version as possible. So my stage kit is larger than I really like because of some of the songs we play.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Built this and used it this past weekend. Worked great. Cost about $200 in material and only took a couple of evenings to build. There's a black skirt that goes around the bottom to hide the buckets.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Stage riser. It's 7'x6.5' and sits 15" high.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Nice! Luckily I've never had to worry about pissing off the neighbors.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Same here. I use an EMAD2 and have never had a problem.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

Well, nondescript as in most people wouldn't be able to name them unless you'd specifically studied that band/drummer. Like I couldn't tell you who the drummer for Blondie was until I tried to learn Call Me and discovered that he's an evil man who hates beginner/intermediate drummers with the burning passion of one thousand suns. 8th notes in 6/8 with a bunch of poly-rhythmic hihat accents and swung sextuplets, for 8 minutes :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m95Iv8UfvhM
What's that you say? Your right leg wants to take a break? gently caress you

Also stuff like Chamberlain from Smashing Pumpkins. 90s Grunge? Pfft yea I got this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3nO33J_3lY&t=6s
:catstare:

:smithicide:

I neglected my left foot for years so now double bass is my SEVERE weakness. Most of what I play doesn't really call for it but I would love to play Hot for Teacher. My left foot just can't keep up.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

No, that's exactly what I'm referring to. My pathetic left foot cant keep that shuffle pattern going through the whole song. It's just a matter of practice but it irritates me that I haven't practiced more double bass over the yers.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

My main kit lives in the band trailer and I wanted to put together a small kit for impromptu gigs so I refinished a few random drums with wrap from Bum Wrap. 4 orphan drums from 3 different kits collected over the years.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Managed to slice my pinky finger the morning before a gig. Spent a few hours at the ER getting stitches then superglued it, wrapped it in gauze and wore a latex glove just in case. I didn't have any problems at the gig but I did play it up for "hardcore" points with the band and sympathy from the ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

I used a $60 Wuhan China for years and had no complaints other than it doesn't fit in my cymbal case because of the traditional bell. That wasn't a big deal until my band started gigging regularly, then it just became an annoyance that I was getting tired of. I had been lusting after a Zildjian Oriental Trash China and finally had the cash set aside for it. I bought the Oriental, threw it on my kit, smacked it with a stick and immediately hated it. It sounded like a goddamn trash can lid. So back to the Wuhan. On the recommendation of a friend I decided to try this 17" Sabian Holy China and it's perfect - great rock china attack, immediate decay, fits in a cymbal case, and is even signed by some guy named Chuck Smoot (???). I guess this is also a ringing endorsement of Wuhan Chinas since the only reason I replaced it was to get something that fits in a cymbal case.

praxis fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 30, 2017