Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheeswhiz
Nov 21, 2003

ketchup fucking sucks

I Might Be Adam posted:

I didn't see this covered in the OP, but I was wondering what the best recommendation for a kick beater to achieve a particular sound would be.

I have a Ludwig Centennial, 24x20 kick and while I love the oversized kick for it's boom in a rock setting, I need to be able to get a different sound out of it for a recording project I've been asked to do. The music is more Americana/alt country-ish. The songwriter has shown me a lot of songs with a particular bass drum sound and it's more of a resonating low boom with less attack. During some recording tests, we were able to achieve the sound by wrapping some socks around my current beater but it's less than responsive for playing and I'm wondering what the best beater for that would be.

Anyone experienced with a variety of beaters out there? This is what I've found so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Vater-VBVB-Vi...rear end+drum+beater

Seems like it might do the trick. I'm not opposed to tuning the kick to help with that sound and I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them.

That beater would probably be a good start. If that doesn't do it, you might also think about using a thinner batter head and messing with the tuning. Do you have a hole in the resonant head? That also kills resonance.

You may also want to mess around with mic placement as that can have a huge affect on the sound. If you are micing inside the drum, try moving it right outside the resonant head.

cheeswhiz fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU