Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Seems relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjg8ataJqs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Pearl has some neat stuff right now at NAMM. Pretty nice looking redesign for the ICON racks and yet another electronic kit. The foot triggers look VERY interesting to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfV96ZmnoHY

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

FBS posted:

"redesign for the ICON racks" is probably a generous description, it seems they're just releasing a few new clamps along with a ton of "35th Anniversary" marketing material.

I briefly panicked at this post since my Icon rack is the one component I kept when I got rid of my acoustic drums in college, for the glorious day when I bought another real drum set. I was afraid they were creating a brand new rack system and my old parts wouldn't work any more.

Here's one example of what the new ones look like.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtJjKhbFKJw/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Drum/midi/recording question from the perspective of a bad guitarist - sorry, it's a bit wordy.

My wife got me a guitar for Christmas. I played for about 15 years but had to sell all of my stuff for rent money about 10 years ago and hadn't played til recently. Anyways, I ended up liking it a lot again and picked up a Helix and have been getting really into recording. I also picked up a cheap bass, a mic, Reaper, EZMix, a Midi Keyboard/DAW controller, and Superior Drummer 3 so I can make complete songs. They're poo poo right now, but that's not the point. The question is more in line with drums.

I'm not much of a drummer, and normally I'm just using various toontrack midi grooves and mucking with them a bit, but sometimes I have a pretty good idea of what groove I want at certain spots in the song that doesn't really match anything I have in SD3. I've tried using the midi editor in Superior Drummer 3 as well as the little fingerdrum pads on my Panorama P6 (or the keyboard itself) to get those out, but I'm struggling a bit with that and don't really enjoy it.

I've been considering picking up a (relatively) inexpensive electronic drum kit - maybe an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit for about $320 or something - and using that for those parts, plus if I ever decide I want to actually learn drums more than just super basic stuff. If my timing is off a bit, I can fix it easy enough in the midi editor, I figure - I'll at least have the core of what I want in there. Or maybe a friend who can play drums can play it for me, I don't know.

Then again, that's a fair bit of money and floorspace for something I can probably just suck it up and get better with the little rubber pads on the Panorama. Should I probably just focus on that since it saves a bunch of money and potential hassle? In a way that seems like the obvious answer but I guess I've always secretly wanted to learn to play the drums, so maybe I'm letting that creep in. I don't know.

To actually turn this into a question rather than some sort of dumb E/N :words: mess, does anyone have any recommendations here? If an inexpensive electronic drum set would be recommended, does the Alesis Nitro seem a decent kit for the price, or would something else be recommended? If I should stop being ridiculous and just play my dumb little riffs where I want them on the drum pads on the Panorama, anyone have any recommendations how to wrap my head around that? I can't seem to get the hang of finger drumming and even at best, my velocity is all over the place. Easy to fix that, I suppose.

The experienced drummers (like me) will tell you that the cheap drum kits don't feel right and how bad rubber pads are which is true. Much like if I said I just want a cheap rear end Peavy Strat (lol I have one!) so I can gently caress around on guitar, you'd probably tell me how much I may hate the way it plays (action is too high, pickups are poo poo, strings buzz).

But since you have a budget and just want to gently caress around I don't see the harm. Other than the pads the cheap kits usually sound lovely but since you're going to MIDI out that helps you a bit. Don't expect high performance out of the pads though if you are worried about ghost notes or getting different sounds from different postilions on the head.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

It's March and tax time which means people usually figure out the instrument they got for Xmas is hard so they want to sell it. I'm sure you can find something on your local Craigslist

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Noted, though it might turn him off of the whole thing. We'll see.

You're going to need to be a parent here and demand it. Or start saving for tinnus treatments.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Oh yes, I mean, the choice will be "use this" and "no drums", not "use this" and "suffer hearing damage".

Not a bad idea.

Maybe show him pictures of drummers using ear monitors

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Has anyone heard any "real world" feedback of the Mimic Pro from Pearl?

https://pearldrum.com/products/kits/electronics/mimic-pro-module/

Just wonder if that's worth it or just use something like Toontrack.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm very new at all of this but have been doing some research. From what I gather, the main appeal of the Mimic Pro over using a VST like Superior Drummer 3 or something is just that it's a slight hassle to have to load it all up, plus it doesn't necessarily work that well for live shows, although you could probably make a laptop work. It is some more things to go wrong though. I experimented a little bit with playing via midi through SD3 and it sounded really good but my monitor speakers that the computer is hooked up to aren't really that close to the drums and so it was slightly odd. I also would need a headphone extender to reach the Line6 Helix, which I'm using as the audio device for the computer, so I wasn't able to test that. I also felt that there might have been a miniscule but maybe-perceptible-if-you-were-looking-for-it audio delay with all of that, but I'd want to do some more testing - I might have just been expecting to have a delay. For me the downside at the moment is just that it's a bit impractical to play SD3 through my Roland PM-200 and the monitor speakers are a bit far away and lacking in bass.

That said, unless there actually is a delay or I was actually doing live shows and didn't want to risk extra failure points, I don't see how I could possibly justify >$2k on the Mimic Pro when SD3 sounds really good as well and to be honest for my learning, the built-in "Acoustic" drum sound on the TD-17 works perfectly fine for practice. I can use SD3 for recording even better than I could use the Mimic Pro because I can gently caress with it all after playing it to see what sounds best in the mix.

Sort of a tl;dr: The reports I've heard are that the Mimic Pro is really nice, basically a good VST-in-a-box, but I can't see a need for it unless you're playing live and don't want to risk failure points.

Second disclaimer: I've been drumming for all of a week. I just happened to do some research into it at one point.

Thanks, that pretty helpful actually. I have the RedBox and ePro kit which I bought used a few years ago. After the novelty wore off I found Redbox to be very limited so I started messing around with VST and found I liked the options better.

The Mimic Pro looked nice but for the price I could almost buy a better Roland kit. I'm not playing live and if I do, I'll use an acoustic kit anyway because I'm not interested in playing large gigs anymore.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Also, any recommendations on any good youtube drum instruction? I've found a few here and there but so far the only good ones wanted you to pay money, which I'm trying to avoid for the moment.

Just in general or are you looking for a specific things like rudiments, foot control, etc. ?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lower the snares and you now have something that sounds like a tom. When it isn't scary anymore, you have a snare drum.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Really stupid question time, but what do you guys like using for footwear? I've got an old pair of running shoes that I use cause they're fairly light, but they are falling apart now and I need to get something else. My normal street shoes feel too heavy when I play.

I used to wear wrestling shoes because you can flex your foot a little better since you don't have a hard sole.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

They get beat up like any instrument. Cymbals can crack and heads are usually replaced after every show or two and this is probably the most "damage" you'd see other than a ding here and there.

Guitars and bass can be used in and out of studio but not so much for drums. I'm speaking as an old guy but many times they'll use whatever drums or percussion they can to get "that sound" and that's going to be different for what you bring on the road. If I'm in a rock, pop or metal I'll want a kit that is loud and flashy so it looks good on stage but it also needs to be versatile because unless you are Alex Van Halen or Neil Peart, you are not going to be changing drum sets after each song.

Drum sets also change with the times more (I think) than stringed instruments. Toms were single headed in the 60s and 70s because they were louder and could be heard better on stage. Then amplification and microphone placement improved so you saw closed toms and front heads on bass drums. Around this time you have new recording techniques where you can get a better sound from the drum without having to hit the poo poo out of it and kits are now smaller. You also don't need two 28" bass drums to get a great sound which you can now do with a double pedal and 20" bass. Like unless it's a really vintage Ludwig or Rogers kit, no one is really keeping their old sets around. At least I can't recall anytime that I've seen someone in love with every piece of their kit but drummers will always have a snare or pedal or cymbal that they just can't live without.

Also storage. Its one thing to keep 10 guitars in a closet but try doing that with 10 drum sets

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Storage is key. A Guitar is all self contained in a case or bag. You don't have to remove each string, put them in their own special case, like you do with drum equipment.

The only think I really hang onto is extra stands or mounting arms because those do come in handy for not only drummers but when your guitar player forgets his iPad mount, you can improvise.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

A stool is the most important piece of equipment you will EVER own. Never cheap out on that no matter what. Two things I've learned to never vary from over the years is how comfortable I can sit on my stool for hours, and how my sticks feel in my hands.

I ran across this video today and it kinda reminded me of recent chat about a touring drummer's kit. Granted it's Dream Theater but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvxjRt-yvLQ

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Now if you want to speed it up a little, try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfjXp4KTTY8

You can also get a good look at his hands too. If you get good at this type of groove you can now play in just about any blues cover band.

EDIT: If you want to adjust the difficulty level, play a shuffle on the ride instead of quarter notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZOImlLjhqY

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 25, 2019

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

When memory clamps came out in the 80s they were awesome and saved lots of time setting up for a gig.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

I have found the holy grail of bad drumming videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AjozROk7xg

Hope that guy has benefits because he's going to have carpal tunnel like wouldn't believe.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Best Buy sells some Yamaha kits that are basic but not horrible.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

That one really stings. He's the only major influence who I got see many, many times over. The others being Bonham and Moon who were long dead by the time I could go to concerts. The last few years I've really been into the their stuff starting with Grace Under Pressure and all though the 90s albums and he playing got so refined.

This video has been posted before. It's VHS quality and there are jets flying overhead but this is him in all his glory. No effects, no tricks. Just pounding the poo poo out of the drums. \

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNfDggYVlw&t=21s

Gonna roll a joint on my 2112 album cover for old times sake.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 10, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I know they get poo poo on for all the keyboards but I've gone back starting with Grace Under Pressure all the way to Roll The Bones and his playing really evolves. Many tracks on Grace you can tell they were in love with The Police, which isn't bad.. Then you get the shift into using electronic drums and effects. One album is full on pop really, but still has some great tracks. Presto and Roll were such a nice finish to all of that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jonwurster/status/1215762496713302016

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

This channel is pretty cool. It isolates the drum tracks and songs so you hear everything being played.

I've heard Spirit of Radio a million times and never knew it was this busy. It may be because its a live recording but Neal is throwing ghost notes left and right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0SV682Ez2c

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

If you play an electronic kit, read this article about MIDI 2.0

https://qz.com/1788828/how-will-midi-2-0-change-music/

The protocol allows for bi-directional which will solve a lot of issues with current setups.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

timp posted:

That is weird lookin! My thoughts:

- the audio is definitely off sync a little bit; you can tell from a bit later on in the video that shows the singer singing
- doesn’t look like he’s playing the hi hat at all. It’s all snare
- Looks/sounds like eighth notes on the snare with beats 2 & 4 played as big fat flams which separates the backbeat from the other eighth notes.

|: r l LR l r l LR l :|

Yeah that video is way off. It does sound like he's just doing eighth notes on the snare and accenting on the 2 and 4, bass drum on 1 and 3.

You hear lots of it in older, traditional country, especially with Johnny Cash. I call it the Train Groove

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The sound of any drum will depend on so many factors. The wood it's made of, the kind of head and the material the head is made of, the tension on the head, snare tension, stick size, technique, I could go on. Now factor in microphone techniques, studio surrounds, etc. But really the drum sounds you hear could be triggered or greatly enhanced both digitally and acoustically.

For the rim shots, see above, but you can also play around with stick placement and where on the rim you hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns8yYpeWVuk

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I have not read music for a long time but I seem to remember drum charts and sheet music depending on who it was from.

for drumset, go check out any issue of Modern Drummer and they'll be a legend to tell you which line and space is what. Usually hi-hat is an x with a line. I've played my share of pit orchestra and all the sheet music for the musicals was like that.

Marching percussion, unless you are mallets or sideline, is more or less the same way. Let's say you have four bass drums, sizes 20", 18", 16" and 14". The first space will be the 20", 2nd space is the 18" and so on. quads/quints the same way. So things are not really "notes" but just positions on the staff.

I'm a music school drop out going back to the early 90s so maybe the rules have changed but any experienced percussionist should able to understand what you mean. There's gotta be software for this by now anyway.

edit: What are you transcribing? Is it an arranged piece or something a little more improv? You could also always chart things like they do in Jazz

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 15, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Joe Pacaro died. :-(

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm about the same age as Dave and I can tell you that hitting hard was the only way you'd be heard back in the day. Nearly every guitar player I was with in the 80s/90s cranked their Marshall half stack up to 11 and drum mics where expensive as hell. Plus everyone's influence back then was Bonham or Peart who were both VERY heavy hitters. Just look at the way drums were made back with "power toms" and large bass drums. Very hard to play quietly and still get a decent sound.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Welp I bought a Roland VAD503. Actual acoustic shells paired with the new TD27 module. It feels good to be playing a full sized four piece set again.

The digital snare is very good and the ride is a drat dream.

Mind if I ask what you paid?

AndrewP posted:

In conclusion, Jeff Porcaro Owned

Oh yes he did and had he not died so soon I think would have been better known. Toto isn't for everyone but go listen to something like this and actually listen to what he's playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RcZhdyXsEk

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Porcaro is a TON of stuff, most of it Yacht Rock but still

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Porcaro

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Evil Bob posted:

I will definitely check these out. Still interested in electronic kit insight too!

I'm an acoustic player for over 30 years who went electronic almost 10 years ago. I find the high end Roland kits "feel" good but you're going to pay a high price. it will also depend on if you are comfortable with all the pads the same size (cheaper) or real size drums with a real shell and mesh heads (expensive).

The main cost will be the brain unit but (to me anyway) the pre-programmed kits always sound like machine guns. Ok for a small gigs or practice but for larger gigs or recording you're better to run it all though Garageband or similar software discussed in other subs here.

There's a new MIDI version about that allows bi-directional communication which:

quote:

re-imagines the role of performance controllers, the aspect of MIDI that translates human performance gestures to data computers can understand. Controllers are now easier to use, and there are more of them: over 32,000 controllers, including controls for individual notes. Enhanced, 32-bit resolution gives controls a smooth, continuous, “analog” feel. New Note-On options were added for articulation control and precise note pitch. In addition, dynamic response (velocity) has been upgraded. What’s more, major timing improvements in MIDI 2.0 can apply to MIDI 1.0 devices—in fact, some MIDI 1.0 gear can even “retrofit” certain MIDI 2.0 features.

https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/details-about-midi-2-0-midi-ci-profiles-and-property-exchange

So I'm hoping this gets us past the machine gun sound and actually allows for ghost notes and dynamics/accents to sound like a real kit.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 30, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jazz Marimba posted:

okay, but why is this? MIDI keyboards have functionally the full range of dynamics and can sound pretty decent at every dynamic, but e-drums pretty universally sound like rear end and it just doesn’t make sense

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/the-lounge/35681-machine-gunning-my-explanation

quote:

In real life, no two strikes of a drum sound the same. Every strike produces a different timbre, texture, tone, etc. Volume is merely one of the many aspects that give an instrument's sound its dynamic range and versatility.

And now here we have the electronic drum. If the player repeatedly strikes the drum, maintaining a constant strength of impact, the module will trigger the exact same sample with each strike.

This is what I believe causes the 'machine-gunning' effect. It has nothing to do with maximum polyphony or the attack strength of the original sample, it's the simple fact you're hearing an identical waveform over and over. Your ear drums are receiving a vibration in which your brain automatically detects a linear pattern. The effect becomes more and more predominant as the frequency of the striking increases.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

So what's keeping them from just having 10 or 20 different samples of each drum and cymbal at each dynamic level and having the brain randomly play one each time that 'group' is triggered? Even at high quality that can't be more than a couple mb of flac files right?

I don't know but if I had to guess, I'd say the processing power in those brain units. You always hear about slight delays in the cheaper models as it is.

I suppose its really the fact this an acoustic instrument that has not really sounded any different over the years. A synth is a synth and was created to sound like a synth. Guitar/Bass have evolved to use amplification (pick ups) which lead to is changing the style of music (jazz and blues) and then effects pedals gave you fuzz and distortion that helped Rock.

Drum technology haS always been the same. You hit a head, you hear noise. Can't hear it? Put a microphone in front of it. Make it electronic, and it sounds like machine. I've known guitarist for years that have performed at small pubs and backed up by a small, low budget drum machine. I've yet to see a drummer perform solo with a "guitar machine". I mean, there's probably some YouTube guy that does but you know what I mean.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hello!

After many many years of wanting one, I'm finally going to treat myself to my first kit.

I've read the OP, and while I agree that a used kit would be ideal to get started, the pickings here are slim.

Before I spend the best part of a grand getting started, I thought I'd drop in to see if you had any advice on where to focus that initial money. Given that I'm likely to want to change things out a bit as I go, what parts of a kit are most consistent? Is it the shells? Fixings? Heads? I'd much rather spend £100 on a part that I'm going to keep than £50 on a part I'll soon replace, and vice versa.

Any of the entry level kits from Pearl, Ludwig, Tama, etc is more than fine. The stock heads are find but you may want to change them out eventually, if anything just to learn how and what differences different heads make. Cymbals I would try to upgrade if a you can. There are "student/starter" pack type but I find they sound like garbage can lids. Shells you aren't going to change out unless you decide to upgrade. All the other accessories can be added and adjusted to make you sound better.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that playing the drums means turning into a Dollar Store MacGyver.

I'm fine with that.

Pretty much. Many times I've had to turn to a 24 hour Wal Mart for repairs or enhancements to my kit right before a gig. Always, always bring extra heads though cause they don't sell those.

Also get a few rolls of gaffer tape because that will become your best friend.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

My old bass player and I went dumpster diving at some carpet outlet in an bad part of town and got enough to carpet our practice space. The colors and patterns were all over the place but it worked.

Now when I'm with the wife at Homesense I'm looking at their rugs

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I Might Be Adam posted:

Have bought several DW5000s. Broke the footplate in half on my first one.

:same:

The 1st pedal lasted about 10 years and I had a pretty heavy foot back then.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJwoPSbglU-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Modern Drummer put out a collection of Neil Peart's cover stories. I'm reading his first one from 1980 and he talked about taping the shaft of his bass drum petal to keep the beater from breaking off and which then break the drum head.

I have broken a million sticks, cracked thousands of dollars worth of cymbals, broken a million drum heads, but I have never hit the bass drum so hard that the beater broke off the shaft. Jesus.